Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Injector Questions for io-240

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

I have a question that has yet to be answered by any of our local A&P mechanics. I fly behind an IO-240-B in my Experimental Skystar/Kitfox Vixen. My EGT’s no longer run really close to each other. They used to run within 25-30 degrees of each other. Now the spread is upwards of 80-90 degrees at certain throttle settings.

Two years ago I was having a rough idle. My A&P determined it was dirty injectors. He removed them and cleaned them in an ultrasonic bath, blew them out and returned them to service. The engine still idled rough. I ended up re-tuning the fuel pressure setting and replaced the spark plugs. Idle issue solved! However, I was puzzled that he did not keep the injectors in order (matched to the cylinder).

I pulled these numbers from the TCM website for my engine. So I was sure they must be flow matched to each intake tube/cylinder.

15A 632147-1178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 1 4 I0240B4B 69_321
15B 632147-2178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 2 4 I0240B4B 69_321
15C 632147-3178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 3 1 I0240B4B 69_321
15D 632147-4178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 4 1 I0240B4B 69_321

Yesterday I removed the four injectors only to find that all four are stamped “10J” (one, zero, Juliet). They are all the same! Are the 10J a one size fits all injector for this engine? Why did my EGT’s change after the injectors were cleaned and returned to service?

The A&P says it doesn’t matter. However, I usually run LOP at altitude. Now, once I get the hottest cylinder LOP…I’ve got one that really cool and get an occasional lean burn misfire (a rough spot). Before…I could lean the engine (at 75%) all the way from peak to nothing (too lean to run) and my EGT’s stayed really close to each other.

I sure wish I had never allowed the A&P to remove the injectors in the first place…wasn’t the original problem anyway!

Any insight into this mystery would be appreciated.

Travis

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

Continental IO-240, Prince P-Tip Prop
ADI-II Autopilot
AnyWhereMap Navigation with weather
www.enotam.net (My Flying Info Website)
flyadive(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

Travis:

A parts cleaning fluid WILL NOT clean fuel injectors or primer injectors.

Go to a GUN SHOP and get a bottle of HOPPIE'S #9 gun cleaning fluid/solvent.
Remove the injectors and let them soak over night ... Do your primers
at the same time.

Matching the injector to the cylinder is NOT required.
They should ALL be the same size. If not WHY NOT!
When cylinders are flow-matched they are NOT run. Only air is used so
again injector size does not matter.

Barry

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM, FlyboyTR <flyboytr(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
Quote:

I have a question that has yet to be answered by any of our local A&P mechanics. I fly behind an IO-240-B in my Experimental Skystar/Kitfox Vixen. My EGTs no longer run really close to each other. They used to run within 25-30 degrees of each other. Now the spread is upwards of 80-90 degrees at certain throttle settings.

Two years ago I was having a rough idle. My A&P determined it was dirty injectors. He removed them and cleaned them in an ultrasonic bath, blew them out and returned them to service. The engine still idled rough. I ended up re-tuning the fuel pressure setting and replaced the spark plugs. Idle issue solved! However, I was puzzled that he did not keep the injectors in order (matched to the cylinder).

I pulled these numbers from the TCM website for my engine. So I was sure they must be flow matched to each intake tube/cylinder.

15A 632147-1178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 1 4 I0240B4B 69_321
15B 632147-2178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 2 4 I0240B4B 69_321
15C 632147-3178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 3 1 I0240B4B 69_321
15D 632147-4178 NOZZLE TUNED CYL. # 4 1 I0240B4B 69_321

Yesterday I removed the four injectors only to find that all four are stamped 10J (one, zero, Juliet). They are all the same! Are the 10J a one size fits all injector for this engine? Why did my EGTs change after the injectors were cleaned and returned to service?

The A&P says it doesnt matter. However, I usually run LOP at altitude. Now, once I get the hottest cylinder LOPIve got one that really cool and get an occasional lean burn misfire (a rough spot). BeforeI could lean the engine (at 75%) all the way from peak to nothing (too lean to run) and my EGTs stayed really close to each other.

I sure wish I had never allowed the A&P to remove the injectors in the first placewasnt the original problem anyway!

Any insight into this mystery would be appreciated.

Travis

--------
Travis Rayner
Mobile, AL
Skystar Vixen, N-789DF
ADI-II Autopilot

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=291797#291797

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

Barry,
Thanks for the reply. I will try to find the fluid you mentioned. Sounds simple!

Do you have any idea why the TCM website would be showing four different injector numbers for my engine...none of which are in mine?

Thanks again!

Travis Smile

ADI-II Autopilot

Last edited by FlyboyTR on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyadive(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

Travis:

I'm not sure but here are a few passable reasons:
design change
change in material
sub-contractor specific part number
change in tracking system
change in fuel pressure due to a change in pumps
different size supply lines
a hidden AD
HP ... Maybe there is a HP increase with larger orifices
different orifice if the cylinders are over bored

These are just guesses. Give them a call.

Barry
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM, FlyboyTR <flyboytr(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
Quote:

Barry,
Thanks for the reply. I will try to find the fluid to mentioned. Sounds simple!

Do you have any idea why the TCM website would be showing four different injector numbers for my engine...none of which are in mine?

Thanks again!

Travis Smile

--------
Travis Rayner
Mobile, AL
Skystar Vixen, N-789DF
ADI-II Autopilot

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=291823#291823

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

Barry,
Excellent points. Thanks. I found the Hoppes #9. I'll give it a try and see how it does! Thanks again!

Travis Very Happy

ADI-II Autopilot
timwarlick

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

OK Travis, since I do not work at TCM anymore, I can give you the true answer. First, obtain TCM publication FI-02 (Dec 2007). It describes the injector numbering system and the benefits of Position Tuned Injector Nozzles (especially at lean of peak fuelings). Second, check with them if a set of nozzles has been released for the IO240B3B engine. It exists, I am just not sure if it has been released for production yet. Third, on the IO240B engines, the fuel pump set-up is very sensitive to dirt and changes in temperature/altitude. You may have to reset it several times during the year. You also may want to increase you idle speed slightly.

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

Tim,
Thanks for the info. I have been unable to locate the publication you mentioned. Do you have a link to it? Thanks!

Travis Smile

ADI-II Autopilot
timwarlick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injector Questions for io-240 Reply with quote

They put a copy of this book with each engine shipped. Go to TCM in Mobile and ask Loren for one or go to Fairhope airport and ask Ron for one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: