Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GL 11 FT nose wheel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: GL 11 FT nose wheel. Reply with quote

I have always had a vibration from my nose strut and as the tire wore down it would become even more noticeable. When I related this to an A&P he asked if I balanced my nose wheel? So I decided to purchase a new tire, mount it and have it balanced. This tiny wheel took well over four ounces to balance!! Another hint is that Chin tires are notorious for being out of round so be sure to check for the tire being out of round. After installing the wheel assembly and test flying the plane, for the first time I felt I was landing on glass!!
I have been reporting on my new Blended Foil prop and was able to adjust the hub to get it up to 2750 RPM. After making that adjustment the new prop had so much P factor I could hardly keep the plane on the center line when I added full power. Witnesses say the plane only rolls a short distance before it appears to leap off the runway. After take off I have to apply full right rudder and aileron to keep the plane and haven't seen that since I flew my little 215 Hp S1S Pitts Special. The increased cruise performance appears to be keeping in the added 15 to 20 mph ground speed along with a higher rate of climb. With these warmer temperatures I have been noticing that my oil temperatures have been running hotter than usual with this new prop. Before the new prop my oil temperature ranged between 190 to 200 degrees during the summer months. But with the upper seventy to low eighty degree outside temps I am now flying in  I am seeing oil temps in the 200/215 range at altitudes below 3,000 feet. I find slowing the plane down before entering the airport traffic area to 100 mph the oil temperature shoots up. But if I keep the cruise up to over 140 mph and slow the plane down in the down wind the oil temp doesn't shoot up as quickly. I haven't been able to figure out if this is because the new prop works the engine harder or if because of the design that less air is blown into the cowling. One other hint in keeping cylinder and oil temps down on climb out is to maintain full throttle on injected engines. There is a jet in the throttle body that dumps extra fuel on full throttle. To reduce power use your prop control on climb out. After take off and reaching 600 feet I adjust the RPM back to 2550 RPM and climb another few hundred feet and adjust it to 2450 rpm before setting everything when I reach my cruise settings and altitude and have found that keeps my temperatures cooler.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: