Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine optons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: engine optons Reply with quote

Scott
After many years of playing with planes and watching others experiment with engines I have to agree with the RV statement. As you know I started out with a Limbach engine which is a VW engine that was very well converted to aircraft use.. It worked well and I felt pretty good with it but always had it in my mind that is was a conversion. Vance always wanted to try an auto engine but I resisted based on the track record of these conversions.
When I look at the cost of these conversions I do not see their advantage either.
Rich
--- On Wed, 7/21/10, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: Sad Report: Another TR-4 Down
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 2:21 AM

From the RV website... "the best auto conversion is to convert $10,000 into a good used lycoming".

--- On Tue, 7/20/10, Robert Anderson <kcruiser1947(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 7:07 PM

Hi Larry & All
It seems to me that I remember John Petrie having trouble with Subaru. If someone makes a control unit for alternative engines in airplanes it would seem to be worth looking into. We are all tied together in this matter because of insurance. Avemco would not insure my Cruiser because of the poor track record of Kis planes. Lucky for all of us that EAA has put together a plan with Falcon Ins. Mine is through them with Global.

Bob Anderson
Cruiser N949Y
--- On Mon, 7/19/10, Larry David <lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com> wrote:

[quote]
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 11:58 PM

The statement fails to recognice that the construction by a home builder is usually superior then that by an assembly line worker since the builder has a vested interest in making things perfect. Guess you can't expect a trouper to understand that subtle fact. You can check the registration on: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N767GW
Unfortunately, it does not say what engine. If it was a Subaru, the description sounds a little like the limp home mode feature that got my plane also got them. Everyone with a Subaru engine should have the ECU modified so it can never enter the limp home mode.  Sorry to read about it. My heart goes out to those folks and their families. Larry
[quote] ---

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: engine optons Reply with quote

Rich,

The last statement you made "When I look at the cost of these conversions I do not see their advantage either" is probably the single most discouraging point that I found when looking at alternative engines. In my investigations of engine choices it became clear that the alternatives currently available were all just as costly or more so than the traditional engine choices. They also tended to be more complex from an installation and operational standpoint. While we are all participating in the "EXPERIMENTAL" aircraft venture and must accept certain additional roles as builder, mechanic, and inspector of our aircraft it remains in our best interests to keep the complexity of our aircraft to within our capabilities or within the capabilities of those who will work on them. Utilization of an aircraft engine will for the most part ensure that we can always find someone at the airports we fly to who can help us with both parts and expertise. Alternative engines on the other hand will be OUR sole responsibility.

Bob

Sent: Wed, July 21, 2010 6:51:03 AM
Subject: Re: engine optons

Scott
After many years of playing with planes and watching others experiment with engines I have to agree with the RV statement. As you know I started out with a Limbach engine which is a VW engine that was very well converted to aircraft use. It worked well and I felt pretty good with it but always had it in my mind that is was a conversion. Vance always wanted to try an auto engine but I resisted based on the track record of these conversions.
When I look at the cost of these conversions I do not see their advantage either.
Rich
--- On Wed, 7/21/10, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 2:21 AM

From the RV website... "the best auto conversion is to convert $10,000 into a good used lycoming".

--- On Tue, 7/20/10, Robert Anderson <kcruiser1947(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: KIS-List: Sad Report: Another TR-4 Down
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 7:07 PM

Hi Larry & All
It seems to me that I remember John Petrie having trouble with Subaru. If someone makes a control unit for alternative engines in airplanes it would seem to be worth looking into. We are all tied together in this matter because of insurance. Avemco would not insure my Cruiser because of the poor track record of Kis planes. Lucky for all of us that EAA has put together a plan with Falcon Ins. Mine is through them with Global.

Bob Anderson
Cruiser N949Y
--- On Mon, 7/19/10, Larry David <lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com> wrote:

[quote]
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 11:58 PM

The statement fails to recognice that the construction by a home builder is usually superior then that by an assembly line worker since the builder has a vested interest in making things perfect. Guess you can't expect a trouper to understand that subtle fact. You can check the registration on: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N767GW
Unfortunately, it does not say what engine. If it was a Subaru, the description sounds a little like the limp home mode feature that got my plane also got them. Everyone with a Subaru engine should have the ECU modified so it can never enter the limp home mode. Sorry to read about it.  My heart goes out to those folks and their families. Larry
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: engine optons Reply with quote

Guys .Guys ..,
Have to chirp in here .. Insurance companies will assess there risks and price their policies accordingly ( or decline a risk) same as any gamble they take on .. (same as say.. weather insurance for a sporting event or a Dancers Leg or or !!) no problem ..ie price of a/c cover for non certified engine policy is whatever ...and certified engine is another amount .. everyday insurance work ..

I'm in the Subaru camp and agree its a VERY tricky task to achieve a successful auto conversion ..... I particularly enjoy climb-outs without the Low airflow and High engine temp loads ......and being able to put the nose down with power-on and not be crash cooling the poor air cooled cylinders .. ( sure i have to carry coolant ......)
Our safety digest here always has a page of Cont/Lycoming engine broken this or that ... ...

Anyway each to theit own ... but i'm not ready to concede Lycomacorus is as far as it goes ...!!! ( not to say i couldn't change my idea in the future but ..)

Cheerrs,

Graham ..
PS ... ( currently having factory new Subaru short block blue printed and x-rayed ..and and ... oh and shopping for a donor car for the Break-In and Dyno checking ..no more flt testing any un-tested a/c engine for me ..!! )

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: engine optons Reply with quote

Just read my own post ..Ops ..correction ..ment to say with the water cooled engine i can do power OFF descent without the crash cooling problems ..!!
GB.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: