Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oily Brake Shoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdmurr(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Oily Brake Shoes Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a 1989 Firestar with drum brakes. The one side grips and the other side doesn't. I removed the drum and noticed that the bearing grease got onto the shoes. I cleaned off the oil the best I could and scuffed up the shoes and the drum with sandpaper. I put it back together and it still doesn't grab. Any suggestions on how to get the grease out of the shoes? Thanks.
John Murr
'89 Firestar
DO NOT ARCHIVE
Hello all,
I have a 1989 Firestar with drum brakes. The one side grips and the other side doesn't. I removed the drum and noticed that the bearing grease got onto the shoes. I cleaned off the oil the best I could and scuffed up the shoes and the drum with sandpaper. I put it back together and it still doesn't grab. Any suggestions on how to get the grease out of the shoes? Thanks.
John Murr
'89 Firestar
DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oily Brake Shoes Reply with quote

I would clean it off with something that disolves oil very well and does not leave any residue. (not mineral spirits) I would try gasoline, or something like that, clean both the drum and the shoes thouroughly, scrub those shoes with a rag or brush to get the grease out of the pourous material and see if that does the trick...
Are new shoes that expensive for kolbs ???

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
jdmurr(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Oily Brake Shoes Reply with quote

I ordered new shoes and they sent me the wrong ones. It was a big screw-up. If I can clean them I will. They were about $65. Might be worth it to convert to disc brakes for a little more.
-- "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
I would clean it off with something that disolves oil very well and does not leave any residue. (not mineral spirits) I would try gasoline, or something like that, clean both the drum and the shoes thouroughly, scrub those shoes with a rag or brush to get the grease out of the pourous material and see if that does the trick...
Are new shoes that expensive for kolbs ???
--------
NO FEAR - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!
Read this topic online here:
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p2700#2700

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oily Brake Shoes Reply with quote

Spraying with Brake Clean would work... But spraying with "starting Fluid" would be cheaper, plus , it's always good to have starting fluid around...
Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN

616takeyourkidtowork.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.83 KB
 Viewed:  442 Time(s)

616takeyourkidtowork.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: