Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Kit Decisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brenthumphreys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

I am about to purchase a wing kit from another builder. I am getting my workspace ready, and also looking into the build process, and any decisions I need to make before closing up the wings. So, I have a few questions for those that have gone before.

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>What size table/jig did you use for building the wings? I am a little space constrained, so I am wondering what size table I need, or if I would be better off doing a fixed stand like the jigs some of the other RV types use for construction.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>What decisions do I need to make for the wing build?
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Aileron Trim
<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Extended range tanks (SafeAir1)
<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>Select Autopilot and Servos
<![if !supportLists]>d. <![endif]>Lighting type

Any other advice on options I should be considering at this point in the build would be appreciated. Thanks
--
Brent Humphreys
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

I guilt mine on two fold up lawn tables (8’) from Costco, then in the wing stand. The spar is over 12 feet, but you could do it on only one table of that size.

2.a……did mine after the wing was on the airplane, not too hard, but wish I would have done it right after I put the bottom skin on.
2.b…….did not do that, no opinion
2.c……put mine in after the wing was on the plane…..no problems…..would be easier off the plane.
2.d…..used the standard kit form Vans, and thus no problem doing it anytime before paint.

Rene' Felker
N423CF
801-721-6080

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brent P. Humphreys
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:12 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Wing Kit Decisions

I am about to purchase a wing kit from another builder. I am getting my workspace ready, and also looking into the build process, and any decisions I need to make before closing up the wings. So, I have a few questions for those that have gone before.

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>What size table/jig did you use for building the wings? I am a little space constrained, so I am wondering what size table I need, or if I would be better off doing a fixed stand like the jigs some of the other RV types use for construction.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>What decisions do I need to make for the wing build?

Any other advice on options I should be considering at this point in the build would be appreciated. Thanks
--
Brent Humphreys
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

While working on my QB wings I found 1 standard EAA workbench
adequate, 2 of them better, just for more support.
2. Aileron trim can be deferred for a long time, because it attaches
to the first inspection plate and while probably easier while the
control tube can be removed, I'm not sure it is needed vs letting
autopilot handle it. So I will probably defer until after flying.
Extended range tanks may affect that decision, with the weight out at
wing tips.
Autopilot servo, (only one goes in one wing) again will be at access
panel where the aileron rocker is installed to transfer motion
direction. You will want to consider conduit for the wing that will
get that servo to ease pulling the wires. You don't have to make any
lighting decisions until ready to put the wing tips on, as long as you
pulled wires for them before closing bottom of the wings.

For storage and some work tasks, the vertical stands are a real help.
Especially with wheels. You really want a helper to transfer wings
from work bench to stand. Keep in mind that the wings are built long
before they get installed on the fuselage, and you need a safe place
to store them. If you do the stall warning vane, it is at risk unless
the wings are in a stand. You really don't want the leading edges
supporting the whole wing leaning against a wall, so that they can be
bumped and knocked over.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Brent P. Humphreys
<bhumphreys(at)stonetek.com> wrote:

Quote:
1.       What size table/jig did you use for building the wings?  I am a
little space constrained, so I am wondering what size table I need, or if I
would be better off doing a fixed stand like the jigs some of the other RV
types use for construction.

2.       What decisions do I need to make for the wing build?

a.       Aileron Trim

b.      Extended range tanks (SafeAir1)

c.       Select Autopilot and Servos

d.      Lighting type

Any other advice on options I should be considering at this point in the
build would be appreciated.  Thanks

--

Brent Humphreys

bcondrey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

You can use an 8’ table easily because the spar is a lot heavier on the inboard end. Storage is best done using a stand to hold them vertical. You can also keep them in that stand when installing the bottom skin.

No real decisions during the build. It want to defer wiring it will be easier to install conduit running the length of the wings with breaks at the access panels.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Aileron trim: easily installed when complete. Servo mounts to inboard inspection panel and attaches to control tube with 2 springs (clips get attached to tube with pulled rivets).
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Extended range tanks: can’t comment on install but consider your mission. An RV-10 has tremendous range/duration especially running LOP. There are certainly a few that NEED extended range tanks but most of us appreciate a break after flying 3-4 hours (running 50 LOP you’ll have 5+ hours endurance).
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Autopilot servo: servo will be specific to the AP you select so wait until you’ve settled on the AP decision. Roll servo will mount in the bay with the outboard inspection panel and attach to the aileron bellcrank. Probably a little easier to install before closing up the wing but not a big deal to do afterward.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Lighting type: decision can be deferred. Wiring will go to the wingtips so conduit will make it easy to install later. If you’re going to do leading edge (vs. wingtip) landing lights you might consider doing the mechanical install before closing everything up. Plenty of people have done it after though without issue.

One thing not mentioned yet is heated pitot. If you’re going to use a heated pitot tube you’ll need a mount for it. Most people use the Gretz type mount which will need to be installed before attaching the bottom skin. There’s a doubler, attachment to a rib, and hole to be cut in the bottom skin that would be difficult to do after closing up.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brent P. Humphreys
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:12 AM

I am about to purchase a wing kit from another builder. I am getting my workspace ready, and also looking into the build process, and any decisions I need to make before closing up the wings.  So, I have a few questions for those that have gone before.

<![if !supportLists]>1.  <![endif]>What size table/jig did you use for building the wings? I am a little space constrained, so I am wondering what size table I need, or if I would be better off doing a fixed stand like the jigs some of the other RV types use for construction.
<![if !supportLists]>2.  <![endif]>What decisions do I need to make for the wing build?

--
Brent Humphreys
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

brenthumphreys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I had hoped that there would be access for most of this once I have completed the fuse kit. Avionics are changing so fast, I wouldn’t want to choose a particular company/technology during this part of the build, and limit my options later.

I am going to pick up the wing kit in 10 days, so I wanted to get a good idea what I need to be planning for, and what decisions I might have been locked into by the previous builder.

So, right now looks like I will do the pitot mount, conduit runs, and possibly the aileron trim if it is included in the kit I bought.

Thanks again.
--
Brent Humphreys

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Condrey, Bob (US SSA)
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:58 AM
Subject: RE: Wing Kit Decisions

You can use an 8’ table easily because the spar is a lot heavier on the inboard end. Storage is best done using a stand to hold them vertical. You can also keep them in that stand when installing the bottom skin.

No real decisions during the build. It want to defer wiring it will be easier to install conduit running the length of the wings with breaks at the access panels.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Aileron trim: easily installed when complete. Servo mounts to inboard inspection panel and attaches to control tube with 2 springs (clips get attached to tube with pulled rivets).
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Extended range tanks: can’t comment on install but consider your mission. An RV-10 has tremendous range/duration especially running LOP. There are certainly a few that NEED extended range tanks but most of us appreciate a break after flying 3-4 hours (running 50 LOP you’ll have 5+ hours endurance).
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Autopilot servo: servo will be specific to the AP you select so wait until you’ve settled on the AP decision. Roll servo will mount in the bay with the outboard inspection panel and attach to the aileron bellcrank. Probably a little easier to install before closing up the wing but not a big deal to do afterward.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>Lighting type: decision can be deferred. Wiring will go to the wingtips so conduit will make it easy to install later. If you’re going to do leading edge (vs. wingtip) landing lights you might consider doing the mechanical install before closing everything up. Plenty of people have done it after though without issue.

One thing not mentioned yet is heated pitot. If you’re going to use a heated pitot tube you’ll need a mount for it. Most people use the Gretz type mount which will need to be installed before attaching the bottom skin. There’s a doubler, attachment to a rib, and hole to be cut in the bottom skin that would be difficult to do after closing up.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:12 AM

--
Brent Humphreys
Quote:
 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Kit Decisions Reply with quote

All of the above posts have excellent information. I am presently installing last outboard wing skin/pitot mount. I have used 2 ea 30" x 84" tables for tail/wing kit. Doing bottom skins while wings lying on top with padding. Definitely much easier for me or my wife to hold rivet gun vertical and not as far to drop tungsten bucking bar(so far so good haven't dropped it). I decided against the plastic pitot due to several melt downs recently. Went with Falcon from Spruce. You will need a small 4" x 5" piece of .064" 2024-T3 for pitot reinforcement to tie into spar and rib. I installed pitot inside of 2nd rib inboard from tip. Installed HID lights before installing outboard leading edge to spars...much easier this way. Inst ap servo and harness from Stein. All wiring pre ran through snap bushings with one spare 18ga. System 6 strobe/pos lights ready to install in tips in a few weeks. Aileron trim kit ready to install after control tubes are installed. Next comes ailerons. Have fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: