Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Door open flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Door open flight Reply with quote

Thom:

I find nothing in the Fantasy Air Allegro 2000 Flight and Operating Manual
that specifically addresses flying the Allegro with open doors. I do find on
page 26 of 37 under the section titled “Operations to be done at the Hold
point”, the statement that “cockpit doors are to be closed and locked”. This
tells me that one should not fly the Allegro with the doors open. Based on
the door open locking mechanism on the Allegro, I would not take off or fly
with the door in the open position. I would definitely be afraid of the
turbulance and vibration that would be created causing the latch mechanism
holding the door open to release allowing the door to then “flap” free in
the slip stream, which could damage and/or cause the door to warp and
possibly fail. I would not do it.

I do not know what would be the effect of flying the Allegro with the doors
off. I’m sure it would be quite a thrill, but don’t know enough about the
aerodynamics. My recommendatioins is to get the question answered by Fantasy
Air.

Hugh McKay

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Door open flight Reply with quote

Thanks, Hugh. I do not recall the source of this rumor, but what I heard was that door OPEN flight is approved below 80 mph and no limit with the doors OFF, but that with doors off, the cruise speed would suffer. I would think so! Besides who wants to fly at 110+ mph with no doors on?

I'd like to take photos and videos without the doors but will check with the factory or importer before attempting any form of open/off door flight.

Thom

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Door open flight Reply with quote

I just got a reply from the USA importer, B Bar D Aviation. Following is what they say about flying an Allegro with doors open/off.

Thom in Buffalo

Thom,
The Allegro MAY be flown with the doors open, but the MAXIMUM speed is 80mph. You may open the doors in flight, but be aware you MUST hold the door tightly, to prevent a rapid upswing into the wing. You may also close them in flight (again, at a max speed of 80mph). when closing, you MUST hold the door firmly to prevent a rapid upswing into the wing. You may take the doors off and fly any speed the Allegro will safely fly. Please note: always check your doors first to insure there is not too much "play" to allow the doors to "beat" against the top of the wing when preparing to fly with the doors open. If this happens, you will create a "mar" line horizontally across the window. So, have fun, and enjoy the fresh warm air.
Thanks,
Doug & Betty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: