Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIS Sold II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: KIS Sold II Reply with quote

Maybe I'm overstating the RV in flight failures. I did a bit of reaseach and it looks like only 1 RV-8 had an in flight failure, but it was the factory airplane. 7 RV-3 have had in flight failures, but I think they traced to improper spar assembly.

--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Mark Kettering <mantafs(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: KIS Sold
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 6:47 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: Mark Kettering <mantafs(at)earthlink.net (mantafs(at)earthlink.net)>

Hi Scott,

In many ways the RV 7 kits are the best kits in the world. Fantastic fit, instructions, factory support, third party support, options, resale value and much more. But they are not the best aircraft. They are little more than a kit of 1960's designs like the Grummans or others. Compared to a more modern composite aircraft they really are not all that good of performers. They tend to be slower (for a given engine and stall speed), have less useful load and even with being a great kit they still tend to cost a fair amount to finish and take a fair amount of time. Most of the RV 7s are over 1200 lbs empty weight!  I think even your big engine IFR TR1 is well under 1000 lbs. Or was it well under 900 lbs?

I know being part of the RV club has it's own draw but I think your plane is a much better choice. Yes there are problems with the TR1. But at least the wings tend to stay on.

Mark
--

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
jpetrie(at)sonicfactory.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: KIS Sold II Reply with quote

Scott,

You also made a good point earlier about flying into short strips with a Lancair. This is definitely a possibility, as I have done many short and bumpy strips with my Cruiser and it’s never been a problem.
The RV8 is also a very good possibility as it appears to have a higher useful load than the others and a slightly faster cruise.

[img]cid:3371001783_4499239[/img]

From: Scott Stearns <[url=sstearns2(at)yahoo.com]sstearns2(at)yahoo.com[/url]>
Reply-To: <[url=kis-list(at)matronics.com]kis-list(at)matronics.com[/url]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:53:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: <[url=kis-list(at)matronics.com]kis-list(at)matronics.com[/url]>
Subject: Re: KIS Sold II

Maybe I'm overstating the RV in flight failures. I did a bit of reaseach and it looks like only 1 RV-8 had an in flight failure, but it was the factory airplane. 7 RV-3 have had in flight failures, but I think they traced to improper spar assembly.

--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Mark Kettering <[url=mantafs(at)earthlink.net]mantafs(at)earthlink.net[/url]> wrote:
[quote]
From: Mark Kettering <[url=mantafs(at)earthlink.net]mantafs(at)earthlink.net[/url]>
Subject: Re: KIS Sold
To: [url=kis-list(at)matronics.com]kis-list(at)matronics.com[/url]
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 6:47 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: Mark Kettering <[url=mantafs(at)earthlink.net]mantafs(at)earthlink.net[/url] <http://us.mc324.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mantafs(at)earthlink.net> >

Hi Scott,

In many ways the RV 7 kits are the best kits in the world. Fantastic fit, instructions, factory support, third party support, options, resale value and much more. But they are not the best aircraft. They are little more than a kit of 1960's designs like the Grummans or others. Compared to a more modern composite aircraft they really are not all that good of performers. They tend to be slower (for a given engine and stall speed), have less useful load and even with being a great kit they still tend to cost a fair amount to finish and take a fair amount of time. Most of the RV 7s are over 1200 lbs empty weight! I think even your big engine IFR TR1 is well under 1000 lbs. Or was it well under 900 lbs?

I know being part of the RV club has it's own draw but I think your plane is a much better choice. Yes there are problems with the TR1. But at least the wings tend to stay on.

Mark

--

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

image.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.37 KB
 Viewed:  2230 Time(s)

image.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: