Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

landing gear material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: landing gear material Reply with quote

Mainly for Rich and Mark...

Is there any chance my landing gear is not 7075? I sent to to grove to have the camber corrected (it's 8 degrees off on each wheel) and they are going to anneal and heat teat it, but they said if it's not 7075 the heat treating will ruin the gear. I told them I was 99% sure it was 7075.

Thanks,
Scott

--- On Thu, 10/28/10, Richard Trickel <richard_trickel(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: KIS Sold
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 5:36 AM

Jason
The plane was mostly built By Chuck Harrison and Steve Ruege who co own Composites Unlimited in Scappoose. At the time they were long time employees of mine at High tech Compostes. Chuck started working for me at 17 though he had some experience already. We both worked together (different Dept.) at Task Research in Santa Paula. He was my first employee and a quick learner. We are still good friends.
The plane was built in Oxnard but test flown in Camarillo because Oxnard does not like test flying. I remember it was a good flying plane but at first had some problems on the ground. Seems to want to turn on its own.. Really frustrated us but somehow fixed it. It was a few years ago so don`t rember all. Dick kept it in at his house/airport in Florida.
Rich
Sometimes good to think about the past

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, jason(at)hills.org <jason(at)hills.org> wrote:

[quote]
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 10:32 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: jason(at)hills.org

Yeah, my understanding is it was largely built by "factory" guys. Someone else has mentioned that one of the people familiar with its build may be up in the Scappoose, OR area as well, but I've never followed up on that.

It is still yellow nose/cowling transitioning to white tail with a small blue stripe(s) on the fuse and wings. The paint is showing some aging, but it looks good from 10 feet away. It's lived in hangers most of the last 16 years I think. I'm the 4th, and I believe longest owner now (I bought in March 2005).

A few weeks ago I flew down to KCMA (from KPAE) with it. The log book has early records of flying between KOXR and KCMA for some engine work. Assuming it was test-flown somewhere down in that area.

It's a great plane. Looks good, flies well, is super economical, especially for longer x-country travel, which is something I really enjoy.

...Jason

Oct 27, 2010 12:41:23 PM, kis-list(at)matronics.com wrote:

==================
JasonYea that was built mostly by chuck and Dick was fairly short so they put thick seats in that also. I think I also flew that plane. Is it still Yellow or did you paint it.RICH

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, jason(at)hills.org  wrote:

Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 7:02 PM

My plane was Richard Warden's tail-dragger (serial number 51 I believe), but the seats are fairly thick. Worth looking into! Thanks.

...Jason
Oct 27, 2010 10:13:41 AM, kis-list(at)matronics.com wrote:

==================
JasonI am 6-2 and have no trouble. I am not sure but doīt you have Kirby jeffersons plane. If so I know his seate were really fay > I did the test flight and was scrunched pretty bad. I would redo the seats. Follow the manual and thind down the cushions.  when proper the back seat botton is almost none existant.. Rich

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, Jason Hills wrote:

To: "kis-list(at)matronics.com"
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 3:57 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: Jason Hills

I haven't been in a Lancair 360, but I think the 235 is almost the same plane. Somewhere between 235 and 360 they changed the tail to improve stall/spin characteristics, but I still would avoid stalls/spins in that family of planes...

The cockpits are likely similar. Compared to the TR-1 the Lancair 235 reclines people more. I think that improves comfort for tall people. Width is snug like the TR-1.

My biggest problem with my plane's cockpit is anyone over 6'1" or 2" just doesn't fit (half my friends who would like to go flying). They have to bend their head sideways. At 6' I have to be careful what headset I use or the band brushes the ceiling and transmits engine vibration to me. Annoying! My Zulu works great as long as I'm left seat (right seat is 1/2" worse to clear the transponder plate and fitting below the seat).

...Jason
On Oct 27, 2010, at 5:48 AM, Mark Kettering wrote:

[quote] --> KIS-List message posted by: Mark Kettering

Hi John,

I think Scott answered 1 and 3. I do not know how large the Lancair cockpit is. I remember seeing a web page that listed cockpit widths sometime ago but do not remember where. Also width does not tell the whole story. You really need to go and sit in them yourself to try them out for size and shape.

Mark

--

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: landing gear material Reply with quote

Scott
|The gear is not 7075. It is 2024-T3 Aged to T-6. Better call them quick
Rich

--- On Fri, 10/29/10, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: landing gear material
Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 6:43 AM

Is there any chance my landing gear is not 7075? I sent to to grove to have the camber corrected (it's 8 degrees off on each wheel) and they are going to anneal and heat teat it, but they said if it's not 7075 the heat treating will ruin the gear. I told them I was 99% sure it was 7075.

Thanks,
Scott

[quote]

Jason
The plane was mostly built By Chuck Harrison and Steve Ruege who co own Composites Unlimited in Scappoose. At the time they were long time employees of mine at High tech Compostes. Chuck started working for me at 17 though he had some experience already. We both worked together (different Dept.) at Task Research in Santa Paula. He was my first employee and a quick learner. We are still good friends.
The plane was built in Oxnard but test flown in Camarillo because Oxnard does not like test flying. I remember it was a good flying plane but at first had some problems on the ground. Seems to want to turn on its own.. Really frustrated us but somehow fixed it. It was a few years ago so don`t rember all. Dick kept it in at his house/airport in Florida.
Rich

[quote]

Yeah, my understanding is it was largely built by "factory" guys. Someone else has mentioned that one of the people familiar with its build may be up in the Scappoose, OR area as well, but I've never followed up on that.

It is still yellow nose/cowling transitioning to white tail with a small blue stripe(s) on the fuse and wings. The paint is showing some aging, but it looks good from 10 feet away. It's lived in hangers most of the last 16 years I think. I'm the 4th, and I believe longest owner now (I bought in March 2005).

A few weeks ago I flew down to KCMA (from KPAE) with it. The log book has early records of flying between KOXR and KCMA for some engine work. Assuming it was test-flown somewhere down in that area.

It's a great plane. Looks good, flies well, is super economical, especially for longer x-country travel, which is something I really enjoy.

...Jason

==================
JasonYea that was built mostly by chuck and Dick was fairly short so they put thick seats in that also. I think I also flew that plane. Is it still Yellow or did you paint it.RICH

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, jason(at)hills.org wrote:

My plane was Richard Warden's tail-dragger (serial number 51 I believe), but the seats are fairly thick. Worth looking into! Thanks.

...Jason

==================
JasonI am 6-2 and have no trouble. I am not sure but doīt you have Kirby jeffersons plane. If so I know his seate were really fay > I did the test flight and was scrunched pretty bad. I would redo the seats. Follow the manual and thind down the cushions. when proper the back seat botton is almost none existant.. Rich

I haven't been in a Lancair 360, but I think the 235 is almost the same plane. Somewhere between 235 and 360 they changed the tail to improve stall/spin characteristics, but I still would avoid stalls/spins in that family of planes...

The cockpits are likely similar. Compared to the TR-1 the Lancair 235 reclines people more. I think that improves comfort for tall people. Width is snug like the TR-1.

My biggest problem with my plane's cockpit is anyone over 6'1" or 2" just doesn't fit (half my friends who would like to go flying). They have to bend their head sideways. At 6' I have to be careful what headset I use or the band brushes the ceiling and transmits engine vibration to me. Annoying! My Zulu works great as long as I'm left seat (right seat is 1/2" worse to clear the transponder plate and fitting below the seat).

...Jason

Hi John,

I think Scott answered 1 and 3. I do not know how large the Lancair cockpit is. I remember seeing a web page that listed cockpit widths sometime ago but do not remember where. Also width does not tell the whole story. You really need to go and sit in them yourself to try them out for size and shape.

Mark

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: landing gear material Reply with quote

Okay. I called them and they pulled it out of the heat treat batch.

They don't want to bend it in the T6 condition that it's in and I would have to pay for a whole separate heat treat run (instead of being part of thier normal batch) to get it bent correctly. It would be close to $1000 to have the gear fixed.

They also said the 2024 T6 is not strong enough for the wieght of the airplane and they basically never use it. They also said the gear is already bowed and the bowing is not symetric which leads to the conclusion that it is marginal and already bending. I haven't had any particularly hard landings either.

They want about $1500 for a new gear made of 7075 T6 which is really about $1200 for me since I was already going to pay them $300 to bend it and heat treat it.

What's another $1200?? <sarcasm>I glad I'm a rich airline pilot... </sarcasm>

Scott

--- On Fri, 10/29/10, Richard Trickel <richard_trickel(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: landing gear material
Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 4:14 AM

Scott
Rich

[quote]

Thanks,
Scott

[quote]

Jason
Rich

[quote]

...Jason

==================

...Jason

==================
JasonI am 6-2 and have no trouble. I am not sure but doīt you have Kirby jeffersons plane. If so I know his seate were really fay > I did the test flight and was scrunched pretty bad. I would redo the seats. Follow the manual and thind down the cushions. when proper the back seat botton is almost none existant.. Rich

...Jason

Hi John,

Mark

--

richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: landing gear material Reply with quote

Scott
I remember that Vance did the Calcs and we also did some drop test with good results. This was pretty early on. Alos rember that Vance always talked about the scrupping action of the wheel. Didnīt quite totally understand but thought it was the side movement friction as the gear bowed outword. I remember we droped the gear on plates that were oiled though. I actually donīt know of any gear bending except for Galiens TR-4 on a real bad landing. Took out the nosegear and spred the mains beyond use. Prop strike etc.
Rich

[quote]
Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 4:51 PM

They don't want to bend it in the T6 condition that it's in and I would have to pay for a whole separate heat treat run (instead of being part of thier normal batch) to get it bent correctly. It would be close to $1000 to have the gear fixed.

They also said the 2024 T6 is not strong enough for the wieght of the airplane and they basically never use it. They also said the gear is already bowed and the bowing is not symetric which leads to the conclusion that it is marginal and already bending. I haven't had any particularly hard landings either.

They want about $1500 for a new gear made of 7075 T6 which is really about $1200 for me since I was already going to pay them $300 to bend it and heat treat it.

Scott

[quote]

Scott
Rich

[quote]

Thanks,
Scott

[quote]

Jason
Rich

[quote]

...Jason

==================

...Jason

==================

...Jason

Hi John,

Mark

--

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: landing gear material Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Mark's airplane had a bent gear from a hard landing. The taller gear on the taildragger might make it worse if the wheels are further apart. Are the wheels further apart on the taildragger?

From the calculations the gear I just did the 2024 T6 gear is good for maybe a 2 G landing at best without bending (assuming the wing is giving 2/3 of a G at touchdown, which is the standard assumption). Normally landing gear is designed to 4 Gs (or 3.33 with the wing lift assumption). You would get something from the tire srubbing since it's opposing the bending from the impact load, but I'm not sure how much since the tire would flex pretty easily. I think Mark has Pazmany's book, maybe he could look it up if he has a minute and knows where it is.  If you came down hard on one side it looks like the 2024 gear would bend pretty easily.

It would be interesting to take a stright edge to all the KIS landing gear and see how many are still straight. I bet most are bowed to some degree.

I don't have the exact dimensions of the tire placement, but I'm assuming its 18 inches out from the fuselage attach point. Does that sound right? I think it might be further out than that.

With7075 T6 the gear would still not meet the 4G load case without bending, but it will come pretty close.

I've pretty much decided to buy a new 7075 gear. I thought once I had it flying the hole in the air I throw money into would close down at least a little. Oh well. At least it's not a boat.

Scott

[quote]
Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 10:41 AM

Scott
I remember that Vance did the Calcs and we also did some drop test with good results. This was pretty early on. Alos rember that Vance always talked about the scrupping action of the wheel. Didnīt quite totally understand but thought it was the side movement friction as the gear bowed outword. I remember we droped the gear on plates that were oiled though. I actually donīt know of any gear bending except for Galiens TR-4 on a real bad landing. Took out the nosegear and spred the mains beyond use. Prop strike etc.
Rich

[quote]
Date: Friday, October 29, 2010, 4:51 PM

Scott

[quote]

Scott
Rich

[quote]

Thanks,
Scott

[quote]

Jason
Rich

[quote]

...Jason

==================

...Jason

==================

...Jason

Hi John,

Mark

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: