Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron hinge pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Aileron hinge pins Reply with quote

Both outer and 1 inner hinge showed signs of play at the 200 hour inspection. The aileron could be moved vertically upwards. In flight, the ailerons were slightly reflexing.

Thom Riddle advised that in the past he ordered a hinge set (body and pin) from Fantasy and it was a simple job to remove and replace it.

Rather than go thru the process of trying to find 8 hinge sets for shipping to Thailand, I removed the ailerons and replaced all the hinge pins with Mil Spec hinge pin from Genuine Aircraft Hardware company which was about 13 dollars a 6 foot length. Part number MS20253P3-7200 which is 0.117 in or 2.97 mm. The originals are 3 mm.

On the Allegro, the pins ends are flattened to prevent them slipping out. I couldn't see a way of doing this without removing the hinge bodies which I didn't want to do. I drilled each end of the new pin and used a cottar pin to secure it.

The old pins showed little wear. The play was more from the loops on the hinge bodies opening up very slightly. I don't know why this should happen on a plane with relatively low hours.

I pinched the loops on each body so the pins were a perfect fit in all 8. There is now no play and the ailerons no longer have a slight reflex.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: