Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake components and seals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

The brake system on our 4 year old plane was stripped down for inspection and to renew all the seals and O rings.

This is a straightforward task. One caliper needed honing due to minor corrosion. The other was done last year.

I attach a cellphone photo of the components and another photo showing the seals and their respective positions.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

Photo-0032.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.71 KB
 Viewed:  17077 Time(s)

Photo-0032.jpg

Photo-0029.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.25 KB
 Viewed:  17077 Time(s)

Photo-0029.jpg

hgmckay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Paul,

Thanks for the photos. I have also just finished stripping down the
hydraulic brake calipers and discs on my Allegro 2000. After 4 years on a
grass strip the brass plungers on the calipers were froze. Took everything
apart, cleaned everything, re-polished the brass plunger ever so lightly, as
well as the inside of the caliper itself. Put in new "O" rings and rubber
plunger as well as new brake pads. I have not re-filled the hydraulic system
yet.

I did notice in your photos that you also disassembled the little master
cylinder. Why did you do that? Was there a problem with it? I do have a
question that I need some help on. What is the best way to re-fill the brake
system on an Allegro 2000 with hydraulic brake fluid? I see no way to fill
the system from the top down (i.e. through the master cylinder in the plane)
with out disassembling the master cylinder itself, and then re-assembling
it. This seems to be difficult and cumbersome. How do you re-fill your brake
system (top down, or bottom up) and then bleed the system after re-filling?

Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Brian Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Hugh,

We have filled from the bottom -up,,, both sides at the same time. Small oil type cans with plastic line. I have had a problem with pressure when the system gets cold.. I have replaced the gasket on the plunger in the master several times.. I may have a small burr inside.. For some reason it has been holding pressure for the last 6 months, we will see what happens when it gets cold again..

Brian
N3081X
Taylor Az

--- On Wed, 11/3/10, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: Allegro-List: Brake components and seals
To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, November 3, 2010, 1:25 PM

--> Allegro-List message posted by: "Hugh McKay" <[url=/mc/compose?to=hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net]hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net[/url]>

Paul,

Thanks for the photos. I have also just finished stripping down the hydraulic brake calipers and discs on my Allegro 2000. After 4 years on a grass strip the brass plungers on the calipers were froze. Took everything apart, cleaned everything, re-polished the brass plunger ever so lightly, as well as the inside of the caliper itself. Put in new "O" rings and rubber plunger as well as new brake pads. I have not re-filled the hydraulic system yet.

I did notice in your photos that you also disassembled the little master cylinder. Why did you do that? Was there a problem with it? I do have a question that I need some help on. What is the best way to re-fill the brake system on an Allegro 2000 with hydraulic brake fluid? I see no way to fill the system from the top down (i.e. through the master cylinder in the plane) with out disassembling the master cylinder itself, and then re-assembling it. This seems to be difficult and cumbersome. How do you re-fill your brake system (top down, or bottom up) and then bleed the system after re-filling?

Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL

--

aerosiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Hugh
I replaced all the seals possible. I think the plunger seal in the master cylinder is important as Brian suggests.

I had to pump the brake 3 times before startup to ensure I have sufficient pressure which suggests the fluid is slipping past the plunger seal. Then it would hold the 100 hp engine at 4,000 rpm for the mag check.

I agree with Brian that bottom up simultaneously works better.

Paul

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

You should absolutely fill your system from the bottom up to float out the air in the system. You can use that little oil can and I did many years ago, but found a much better mousetrap so to speak for about $10. The oil can works, but is slow and doesn't always get the job done well. Here is an Ace Hardware one gallon bug sprayer. Just unscrew the tip and replace it with some clear tubing. Pour in the brake fluid which should be the 5600 aircraft brake fluid and never auto DOT fluid. Then pump up the sprayer with pressure with the little knob on top. Slightly squeeze the trigger and bleed any air out of the sprayer tubing. Attach it to the bottom break bleed valve on the bottom of the caliper, open the bleeder valve some and press the trigger. The system flushes so easily and fast that it sweeps all the air with it. I take a little water bottle with a piece of tubing taped in it and place it up at the reservoir and as the fluid flushes up and out with the air the bottle catches the overflow. I do both sides then get in and pump the brake handle or toe brakes about 10-15 times fast and fairly hard to move any trapped bubbles around. Then a quick second flush. Works perfect every time and never a any air left in the system. The fluid waste is only about 2-3 oz. The auto DOT fluid will eat your "O" rings and cause leaks in the tubing of your brake system. If you are having any issues with the brakes and seals and use the DOT fluids now you know why. This is one of my best tools in my shop for $10 and it takes no time and no hassle to bleed a brake system.

Brake Flush 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.48 KB
 Viewed:  17052 Time(s)

Brake Flush 002.jpg

Brake Flush 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  285.91 KB
 Viewed:  17052 Time(s)

Brake Flush 001.jpg

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

P.S.

If you want to keep corrosion of your planes metal parts Boeing T-9 works very well. It was made for the Boeing aircraft company and will seal out all moisture. Do no spray it on thing like brake disc or pads. It works and can be used on an engine or any metal part or metal type (aluminum or steel)

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Brian Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Roger,
The Allegro calls for Dot 3,4 Brake fluid!!!!

brian

Sent from Brian's iPod

On Nov 4, 2010, at 7:40, "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

P.S.

If you want to keep corrosion of your planes metal parts Boeing T-9 works very well. It was made for the Boeing aircraft company and will seal out all moisture. Do no spray it on thing like brake disc or pads. It works and can be used on an engine or any metal part or metal type (aluminum or steel)

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center
Cell 520349-7056

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=318122#318122

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

DOT fluid might be suggested, but if all the components in the system don't then you will have all these type issues you guys are talking about. I have seen DOT brake fluid eat many "O"rings and seals. I was a victim many years ago because someone said it was ok. Just something to consider.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
brad(at)vision-technology

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Just so I'm clear on this, do you suggest we ignore the Allegro maintenance
manual that specifically calls for DOT 3/4?

Thanks for your insight and experience!

..Brad...

N221FA / Bismarck ND

--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

What I'm saying is you ought to be very suspicious of DOT fluids in your brake system and if people continue to have issues then I would change and file for an LOA for the 5600. I have filed many LOA's not only for individuals, but fleet approvals for the Flight Design CT. I have changed the entire brake system from the Marc Ingegno brakes to Matco's just for an example. The factory is not always right and can and does use help from people in the field. Yes you should get an LOA for the 5600 fluid change. So long as you have a good reason and can back up any LOA change Mfg's will usually try to accommodate people.
Brian from the post above can tell you I do this stuff for a living and help people with different SLSA's and ELSA's. Keep an eye on things and don't be afraid to make a change.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
aerosiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake components and seals Reply with quote

What about DOT 5 silicon brake fluid (not 5.1) ?

Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: