Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701BU short flight report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: 701BU short flight report Reply with quote

Have been flying everyday the weather has been cooperating. I take off like a rocket, cruise like a cessna,
and land like an ultralight. It takes only about 40 ft to get airborn off the 2500 ft long aphalt strip at Spadaro 23N.
I find myself holding down elevator for a few feet, so I don't just pop up into the air.
40mph and 5500rpm on 912 UL I'm getting 800+ fpm on climb.
Since the runway at Spadaro is only 25 ft wide with hangars 60 ft from the edge on one side and trees on the other
I land next door at Lufker which is a grass strip 100ft wide and 2500ft long to give some room for error.....and
I've needed that extra room at times.
The landings vary depending on the approach speed. I started by just flying it down to the grass strip at
65 keeping some power, and setting her down on the mains. Easy and plenty of runway to spare.
The rudder is very very sensitive and feels
a bit awkward keeping my feet off the brakes while landing. My feet feel fine on the pedals while cruising but
I know I'm stepping on the brakes some. I've got my approach down to 40 with power. If I increase power at
all to arrest decent, the nose goes left quickly and requires quick right rudder to line things back up. As I
get over the runway close enough where I feel good to pull power back a bit the right rudder will make it go right
requiring left rudder to line it back up again. I have found myself dancing between the two not getting it lined and
making a go around. I have yet to master getting approach angle and power just right, that I can get lined up for
landing with just rudder.
My kids from home
said she looks awesome from the ground while circling over at 1500 ft. They said the zinc chromate and aluminum
look really nice in the sun high up. 912 UL 80hp parameters are all on the mark. Had a problem with high oil pressure
that was fluctuating bet 59 and 84. I replaced the expensive rotax VDO sender with a $40 VDO one and remote
mounted it with an installation kit from Kitfox Aircraft. Pressure now at 69 when cold and 47 steady when warm.
I feel very comfortable in the cockpit in 30 deg weather. With the stock cabin heat off the 912 muffler I don't need a
jacket. The skyshops seats are very comfortable also and still felt good after my longest 2 hr flight.
I have to say I love the Dynon D10A with my Garmin 196 feeding it GPS data. The HSI on the Dynon shows an arrow
on the screen showing wind direction relative to your airplane and the wind speed! Also true airspeed, your course to next
waypoint and course deviation indication and correction. When cruising and the wind comes sligtly over the right of the
nose, I can smell exhaust comming up thru the bottom of the door from the tailpipe. I can smell it on a right turn now and
then. Not an issue though as it happens very rarely, but looking at the Dynon the wind is comming just over the right of the nose.
My level cruise trim was full down on the first flights because of the
elevator trailing edge bend. Cut a slot in the length of a 2x4 with my table saw and bent it straight. Trim in cruise is exactly
centered now. I had a pressure on the stick left also in cruise which was fixed with the same exact parts to balance the
pull of the 912 carb springs on my throttle. Cruising down the beaches around Eastern Long Island has been very rewarding and beautiful. I usually run to the airport after work and only have a couple of hours of daylight to get the plane out, preflight and fly. My last landing has been right at the early sunset or just after. Very beautiful time of day. I taxi back over to Spadaro very thankful and
with a big smile on my face.

Brian
15 hrs
http://www.701builder.com/

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ProWash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 701BU short flight report Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Very nice interior and panel.

Regarding rudder control while landing. My friend had similar issues. Check for binding in the rudder system. This could be from rudder cables too tight or nose strut tube binding in the bearings.
While in the air, straight and level, apply left or right rudder. Then take your feet off the pedals. The rudder should return to center on it's own.
We found the nose strut tube very tight. Since then his landings are much improved.
Richard

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

30 HRS into Phase One testing
Do Not Archive
ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: 701BU short flight report Reply with quote

The rudder should return to center on it's own.........

Thanks R about the interior and panel. On the first flights my rudder did basically stay where ever I put it and
had to always input opposite pedal to center the ball. I greased the bearings at the nose strut and made it much better.
But not completely. I think the binding now is where the cables come out of the fuselage at the tail. The nylon 66
fairleads cause some drag. I used a tensiometer to set recommended cable tensions with the nose wheel off the ground.
On landings is where speed is lower this is adding to the mix.

Brian

[quote][b]

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 701BU short flight report Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Brian. I was pleased to read that the heater is adequate. I had some concern about that. I also have concern about my rudder control cable fairleads in the tail. I'm not sure they would have enough friction to prevent the rudder from centering itself but still, it concerns me a little. Good luck.....Geoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: