Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> CorvairEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwillis01(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

Not only are some of the items from MM unavailable, I don't like what I see about their coated aluminum cylinders.  Almost all users of aluminum in engine blocks use cast iron inserts.  When cast iron is properly honed, with the scratches running around in circles, they hold a slight film of oil, which both seals and lubricates the cylinder-to-ring contact.

In contrast, aluminum can gall very easily in such applications, so the user is dependent upon the durability of the coating to prevent this.  I'd want to know a lot about the durability in empirical testing. 

With the fifth bearing, WW's stuff is about as bullet-proof as you can get.  If I were building the ideal, I'd go with WW specs, except for using primary and secondary electronic ignition.  Others have done variants of this and can speak better to these mods. 

Tim in central TX

<clip>

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM, CorvairEngines-List Digest Server <corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com (corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com)> wrote:
[quote]*

________________________________  Message 1  _____________________________________
Time: 11:35:01 AM PST US
From: "Steve Dixon" <dix39(at)charter.net (dix39(at)charter.net)>
Subject: Re: Corvair - where to get one?

I feel I have to respond to this post to clarify, as I understand it,
the positions Wynne and Magnificent Machine occupy with regard to
Corvair flight engines.  I attended the Corvair College about a year ago
held at Magnificent Machine.  I am a long time follower of William Wynne
who has devoted a very significant part of his life to the development
of a safe conversion of Corvair engines for use in aircraft.  IMHO,
anyone planning to convert a Corvair engine for aircraft use should take
advantage of the testing and research he has done.  His book, "Corvair
Flight Engines",  contains a wealth of information about Corvair engines
and how to convert them.  I wholeheartedly agree with all that has been
said about Magnificent Machine, but they, and others, are only building
on the decades of work that has been done by William Wynne.

Steve Dixon
 ---

- The Matronics CorvairEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List
MRus597999(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

Tim in Central Tx, contact MM directly, call or e-mail. He is very informed, and has real experience in building these engines. Unlike Wynne's that have broken cranks in mid flight, including nitrided crank ones.  WW has only developed accessories to Corvair engines, not the working guts that really make an engine. When it comes to others who show knowledge of Corvair engines for use in aircraft WW immediately jumps to criticize without any real knowledge of what the other party is doing. By the way, MM can get the parts, especially the cranks, and has one in stock. The others, the valve covers and oil pans will be ready soon for sale, I saw and handled them.  As others have said, these cylinders have been used for decades, they are far superior and weigh a whole lot less than Corvair cylinders.

Mike Russell

In a message dated 1/9/2011 7:23:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, timwillis01(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Not only are some of the items from MM unavailable, I don't like what I see about their coated aluminum cylinders. Almost all users of aluminum in engine blocks use cast iron inserts. When cast iron is properly honed, with the scratches running around in circles, they hold a slight film of oil, which both seals and lubricates the cylinder-to-ring contact.

In contrast, aluminum can gall very easily in such applications, so the user is dependent upon the durability of the coating to prevent this.  I'd want to know a lot about the durability in empirical testing.

With the fifth bearing, WW's stuff is about as bullet-proof as you can get. If I were building the ideal, I'd go with WW specs, except for using primary and secondary electronic ignition. Others have done variants of this and can speak better to these mods.

Tim in central TX

<clip>

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM, CorvairEngines-List Digest Server <corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com (corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com)> wrote:
Quote:

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
Time: 11:35:01 AM PST US
From: "Steve Dixon" <dix39(at)charter.net (dix39(at)charter.net)>
Subject: Re: Corvair - where to get one?

I feel I have to respond to this post to clarify, as I understand it,
the positions Wynne and Magnificent Machine occupy with regard to
Corvair flight engines. I attended the Corvair College about a year ago
held at Magnificent Machine. I am a long time follower of William Wynne
who has devoted a very significant part of his life to the development
of a safe conversion of Corvair engines for use in aircraft. IMHO,
anyone planning to convert a Corvair engine for aircraft use should take
advantage of the testing and research he has done. His book, "Corvair
Flight Engines", contains a wealth of information about Corvair engines
and how to convert them. I wholeheartedly agree with all that has been
said about Magnificent Machine, but they, and others, are only building
on the decades of work that has been done by William Wynne.

Steve Dixon
----- Original Message -----
To: corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com (corvairengines-list(at)matronics.com)
 Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: CorvairEngines-List: Corvair - where to get one?
A better source for good parts, like new cranks, light weight
cylinders, etc is at magnificentmachine.com. I talked to him last
weekend and first met him in Livermore at a Corvair College. Wynne is
good but this guy has got even better stuff. You want fuel injection,
new not used cranks, etc. See this guy, he can build you a bullet proof
engine far stronger than any thing Wynne can build.

Mike Russell
<clip>

Quote:

====================================
s-List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rvickski(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

Mike,

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, be careful of representing it as fact. Patently false statements do no one any good and makes the one who utters them look foolish.
No, I didn't have cool-aid today and I have nothing against MM aside from the fact he started life as a knock-off artist. But folks change when forced (or do they?) and attempts have been made to bring MM into the fold.
The mere fact you would publish something along these lines indicate a degree of naivety. Hopefully, with time, you will find that success and failure patterns become obvious and perhaps one day it will be clear to you, that what each of us believes, is true for us, even when it is false.
Build-on Dude

On Jan 10, 2011, at 2:42 PM, MRus597999(at)aol.com (MRus597999(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Tim in Central Tx, contact MM directly, call or e-mail. He is very informed, and has real experience in building these engines. Unlike Wynne's that have broken cranks in mid flight, including nitrided crank ones. WW has only developed accessories to Corvair engines, not the working guts that really make an engine. When it comes to others who show knowledge of Corvair engines for use in aircraft WW immediately jumps to criticize without any real knowledge of what the other party is doing. By the way, MM can get the parts, especially the cranks, and has one in stock. The others, the valve covers and oil pans will be ready soon for sale, I saw and handled them. As others have said, these cylinders have been used for decades, they are far superior and weigh a whole lot less than Corvair cylinders.

Mike Russell

Roy Szarafinski
www.roysgarage.com

[quote][b]

MRus597999(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

Are you speaking of the numerous crank failures of WW engines? To be honest all he has created are accessories. There are plenty of builders of Corvair engines who build as good or better engines. He has a bad habit of bad mouthing others with little of no knowledge of the facts. I pointed it out to a long time Corvair builder in Long Beach Ca who then called WW. WW admitted his error, which error is published in one of his manuals in  my house, and WW admitted that he had no ral knowledge of any of the "so-called" facts which led him to make the bald faced criticism of this builder's proiduct. I have been to his colleges, twice, WW has excellent information. But, I can assure you that MM is anything but a knockoff. And even if he is, so what! Who says that WW is the only one to speak for the Corvair use in light aircraft. He is not the summum bonum of corvaircraft engine building, even if he thinks he is.

Mike Russell
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> CorvairEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: