Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV7-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/10/06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack.lockamy(at)navy.mil

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: RV7-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/10/06 Reply with quote

I think your statement would have been more correctly stated by saying...."you would be one of those "SMART builders"... by going with a Quickbuild rather than slow build...not an "inexperienced builder".

My RV-7A kit (#71103) was a quickbuild and was my third aircraft. I'm no expert but I'm also not a novice. I realized (as many others do) that going with a Quickbuild kit is the only way to go! The cost difference in the big scheme of things (about $8K extra for my wings and fuselage) was actually well worth the extra money, saved lots of time at about $8 p/hr for foreign labor by my calculations). I live alone and would have to have a buddy/friend stop by and help me shoot most of those rivets if going slow build. The workmanship of the QB kits is amazing! I nor any of my RV buddies could find a single rivet not driven properly (I can't say the same for those rivets I had to install Smile. I also agree with your statement that there is still a tremendous amount of work the builder will still have to complete (51%?) and as we all know, finishing is approx. 90% of the project.

Inexperienced builders go QB....no way! Smart builders...YES!!!

My two cents,
Jack Lockamy
Camarillo, CA
RV-7A N174JL 180 hrs and FLYING!
www.jacklockamy.com

--

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: RV7-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/10/06 Reply with quote

Ya for me I would have to agree. My RV7a QB is my second airplane and I
am about 2/3rds the way through filling and sanding
fiberglass..Personally I am pretty sick of the whole thing and can't
wait for it to be finished. I miss my Wife and she is putting up with
this for now. I couldn't imagine having ANOTHER 1000 hours to do at this
point.

Having said that if I had an RV flying and I was in no hurry and didn't
mind tinkering on a project that was not taking up space that I needed
for anything else...The maybe (just maybe) I might put together a slow
build.

For me right now though I think this will be the last airplane I
build...Ask me again in 6 months...Smile

Frank
STILL filling and sanding...Hoping to spray lots of paint this W/E

Do not archive

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wlull(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: RV7-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/10/06 Reply with quote

Yup, can't disagree. I did slow build for the 'educational opportunity' but didn't realize it was going to be a doctorate degree! My point was that even with a quick build we will have plenty of opportunity to make lots and lots of mistakes.

I really really enjoy the building process, but, wings are so borrrring. I would probably do a quick build too if I build another one. Although those RV3s are really cute!

Bill

---- "Lockamy wrote:
[quote]

I think your statement would have been more correctly stated by saying...."you would be one of those "SMART builders"... by going with a Quickbuild rather than slow build...not an "inexperienced builder".

My RV-7A kit (#71103) was a quickbuild and was my third aircraft. I'm no expert but I'm also not a novice. I realized (as many others do) that going with a Quickbuild kit is the only way to go! The cost difference in the big scheme of things (about $8K extra for my wings and fuselage) was actually well worth the extra money, saved lots of time at about $8 p/hr for foreign labor by my calculations). I live alone and would have to have a buddy/friend stop by and help me shoot most of those rivets if going slow build. The workmanship of the QB kits is amazing! I nor any of my RV buddies could find a single rivet not driven properly (I can't say the same for those rivets I had to install Smile. I also agree with your statement that there is still a tremendous amount of work the builder will still have to complete (51%?) and as we all know, finishing is approx. 90% of the project.

Inexperienced builders go QB....no way! Smart builders...YES!!!

My two cents,
Jack Lockamy
Camarillo, CA
RV-7A N174JL 180 hrs and FLYING!
www.jacklockamy.com

--

dhall(at)donka.net

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: RV7-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/10/06 Reply with quote

I'm an inexperienced builder doing a slow build. I am on the fuse and for
me I know I'm glad I'm doing this versus the quickbuild. I feel I will be
much more qualified to inspect and maintain this airplane through my
experience. When I'm at the airport looking at flying RV's, I know I look
at every rivet now much differently than I did just 1 year ago. I *do* have
much appreciation for how much work that QB does for you, but for me, I'm
glad I will know what to do when my fuel tank leaks. I'm glad I will have
100% familiarity with every drawing in the plans.

Now if I should build another plane, I would likley do a quickbuild. There
would be less to learn on a second effort.

All this started because of cost discussions. I'd expect a real deal buying
an unfinished project like mine versus a QB, but I think this will be less
important for flying aircraft. At that point, I think flying hours, finish,
and equipment would start to be more impactful to price. (And I'll have
8-10K more in my pocket from which to negotiate.) In general, I try to
avoid money logic when it comes to airplanes. I'd rather keep my head in
the sand on that topic.

Don Hall
N517DG (registered)
rv7 fuselage
http:\\donka.net\rv7project.html

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: