Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-9 as LSA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerjerry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

(Continued from “Anyone here?” discussion, p2)

Hi RV9 Ralph,
Your argument makes the most sense, so I will try to respond in detail. First of all, I thank you for contributing to rational discussion of this issue. Let me begin with your closing statement “Is it worth it?” If, for example, your next FAA medical is denied because you very slightly exceed some arbitrary standard (B.P.?), would you like to give up flying? If you have 20-20 vision with both eyes together, but one eye becomes 20-50 are you ready to quit?

I passed my recent FAA medical exam, but concern about the future is beginning to remove the joy of flying and starting a building project when unsure about medical status is just nuts. Then there is the waiver route – talk about endless frustration and cubic money wasted. It is too darned bad that the LSA rules were written around all the foreign crap (airplanes AND engines). If LSA rules included a Cessna 150 or 152, I would gladly dump my nice safe 172 and trade down. Maybe when enough well-heeled baby boomers of the political donor class retire and place some coins in appropriate pockets, this may change, but I doubt if such a revision will come in time for me. Meanwhile the FAA, in their infinite wisdom, has extended the discussion period for such a proposal to 99 years. As you said, If your RV-9 was EVER registered with a MGW weight over 1320 pounds, you can never fly it as an LSA (yeah, that makes perfect sense too).

At least two RV-9’s have already been qualified and REGISTERED as Light Sport Aircraft. One of the builders has stated he thought the better way to go is to build it light and register the craft as a regular experimental with a gross weight of no more that 1320 lbs. This plane is LEGAL. I do not advocate shredding the rules and I don’t know of all the changes that were required to fit within the LSA class (there were many), but it CAN be done. As far as maximum speed, it can be limited by flattening pitch, giving you plenty of climb ability.

RV-9 as-is is a still great airplane.

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List

whd721

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

Jerry,

I responded to your original post for that reason. I am slightly more than half way through a RV9. Last year a medication cost me six months grounded while the FAA reviewed everything. No health or performance issues with me just medical wisdom. Now do I try again, or drop medical, if you lose once the LSA option is gone forever.

Sell my RV9? Gamble another year? RV9 LSA? All things must be considered.

If I felt unsafe medically , it would be easy. I would ground myself. Do I continue to put time into an RV build that I may never fly?

I will continue to check out this thread on the RV LSA, but it appears to be like the old Cubs and other legacy aircraft. A large pilot and fuel and you are over gross.

Those with sharp comments, might try to walk in others shoes.
On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:42 AM, racerjerry wrote:

Quote:

(Continued from Anyone here? discussion, p2)

Hi RV9 Ralph,
Your argument makes the most sense, so I will try to respond in detail. First of all, I thank you for contributing to rational discussion of this issue. Let me begin with your closing statement Is it worth it? If, for example, your next FAA medical is denied because you very slightly exceed some arbitrary standard (B.P.?), would you like to give up flying? If you have 20-20 vision with both eyes together, but one eye becomes 20-50 are you ready to quit?

I passed my recent FAA medical exam, but concern about the future is beginning to remove the joy of flying and starting a building project when unsure about medical status is just nuts. Then there is the waiver route talk about endless frustration and cubic money wasted. It is too darned bad that the LSA rules were written around all the foreign crap (airplanes AND engines). If LSA rules included a Cessna 150 or152, I would gladly dump my nice safe 172 and trade down. Maybe when enough well-heeled baby boomers of the political donor class retire and place some coins in appropriate pockets, this may change, but I doubt if such a revision will come in time for me. Meanwhile the FAA, in their infinite wisdom, has extended the discussion period for such a proposal to 99 years. As you said, If your RV-9 was EVER registered with a MGW weight over 1320 pounds, you can never fly it as an LSA (yeah, that makes perfect sense too).

At least two RV-9s have already been qualified and REGISTERED as Light Sport Aircraft. One of the builders has stated he thought the better way to go is to build it light and register the craft as a regular experimental with a gross weight of no more that 1320 lbs. This plane is LEGAL. I do not advocate shredding the rules and I dont know of all the changes that were required to fit within the LSA class (there were many), but it CAN be done. As far as maximum speed, it can be limited by flattening pitch, giving you plenty of climb ability.

RV-9 as-is is a still great airplane.

--------
Jerry King

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=335399#335399

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

racerjerry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

Hi whd721,

First, I am very glad to hear that you feel perfectly fine except for worrying about the darned medical.

Not that I am recommending it, but all is not COMPLETELY lost if you decide to go for the exam and your medical is denied. At that point, you can try and qualify for a wavier and once you get it, never take another FAA medical again and go fly LSA…but you probably already know that. See my previous post regarding cubic money, endless frustration and wasted time.

As you said, all things must be considered, but I hope that your concerns won’t detract too much from your joy in building that wonderful RV-9 airplane. At least you are at a point where a choice is still available.

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

My personal experience, though narrow in scope, is that the FAA is slow to "Deny" a medical. On the other hand they are quick to ask for further information or tests which allows an individual the opportunity to reevaluate their position. Consideration might be given for buying into AOPA's medical support plan for a more complete understanding of how FAA medical review works.

Once a formal Denial is recieved, is LSA not removed as an option?

John Kerr
Arterial Stent, Type 2 Diabedes, Flying on Special Issuance Medical Certificate.
Kitfox, RV9, Hatz Classic

---

racerjerry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I hope that you are feeling well. We certainly did breathe some life into this dormant forum today. Your suggestion of utilizing AOPA’s Medical Support Plan is a good one. www.leftseat.com has a lot of free info on their site that provides help in navigating the medical quagmire too. Missteps can be problematic.

Quoting you: "Once a formal Denial is recieved, is LSA not removed as an option?"

Your question deserves a serious answer. The short answer is NO.

I am neither a medical doctor nor aviation attorney, so I would like to refer you to the EAA www.sportpilot.org web site where their FAQ section seems to provide direct answers to your question. Please go to the site and search the FAQ for “special issuance” as I have. Note only questions appear and you must click on the question text to view the answer. I know that you will be pleasantly surprised.
Specifically, look at:
http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=121

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=136

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=493

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=133

Keep in mind that as an operator of Light Sport Aircraft, that we must “Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.” This is somewhat open to interpretation. If you feel fit and safe to fly, I see no barriers. Good Luck!

dthomas773(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

I'm borderline high blood pressure. Normally I'm well within limits but occasionally it spikes to higher than FAA allows.
The thing to do is find a friendly Flight Physical Guy. I have one. What I did was told him my concern and asked not for a Flight Physical but just a regular annual Physical Exam. No forms were filled out, I passed the standards of a Flight Physical we then proceeded with the paper work and I'm good for 2 more years.
Dennis Thomas
RV9 N164DV
580 hours
Do Not Archive

From: "kerrjohna(at)comcast.net" <kerrjohna(at)comcast.net>
To: rv9-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tue, March 29, 2011 12:27:05 PM
Subject: Re: Re: RV-9 as LSA

p {margin:0;}
My personal experience, though narrow in scope, is that the FAA is slow to "Deny" a medical. On the other hand they are quick to ask for further information or tests which allows an individual the opportunity to reevaluate their position. Consideration might be given for buying into AOPA's medical support plan for a more complete understanding of how FAA medical review works.

Once a formal Denial is recieved, is LSA not removed as an option?

John Kerr
Arterial Stent, Type 2 Diabedes, Flying on Special Issuance Medical Certificate.
Kitfox, RV9, Hatz Classic

---

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

Jerry, thanks for the references. Printed out, they will be a resource for my medical file.

The cited FAQ's still still seem to point to the issue that someone with a formal denial is not currently eligible to fly under LSA rules. Am I misunderstanding something?

John
---

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: RV-9 as LSA Reply with quote

FWIW, my impression from the articles is that it's getting easier to get the waiver when you re-apply, & once you *do* get the Medical back, then you're good to go as long as you have a driver's license as long as you never take another Medical.

Charlie

On 3/30/2011 10:34 AM, kerrjohna(at)comcast.net (kerrjohna(at)comcast.net) wrote: [quote] p { margin: 0; }
Jerry, thanks for the references. Printed out, they will be a resource for my medical file.

The cited FAQ's still still seem to point to the issue that someone with a formal denial is not currently eligible to fly under LSA rules. Am I misunderstanding something?

John
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: