Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal prop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason(at)hills.org

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Metal prop? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a metal prop on at TR-1?

I'm considering a prop change in the next year or so. I'm hoping to get more efficiency and not worry as much about rain damage. At a minimum I'll likely change to a different pitch wood prop. Since my engine overhaul 2 years ago I can push 2800+ rpm at any altitude. It'd be nice to get a bit more cruise.

..Jason

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Metal prop? Reply with quote

What engine? About 4 years ago Sensenich was doing vibration tests on one
for the Cont. IO-240. I don't know if is for sale, you might check with
them.

Tim
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jason(at)hills.org

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Metal prop? Reply with quote

Lyc O-290-D2

..Jason

On Apr 4, 2011, at 2:21 PM, "F. Tim Yoder" <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com> wrote:

[quote]

What engine? About 4 years ago Sensenich was doing vibration tests on one for the Cont. IO-240. I don't know if is for sale, you might check with them.

Tim
---

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Metal prop? Reply with quote

One thing to think about is that propellers of the same diameter and pitch will be different from different companies.  Everyone has their own way of filling in the details.

Personally there is no way I would get a metal fixed pitch prop.  I went with a prince composite prop.  A metal prop will be significantly heavier so I'd check the effect on your CG before you buy.   

Also, you will have metal prop and engine combination with unknown fatigue characteristics.  Wood/composite propelers have much better fatigue characteristics.  It's worth noting that metal propellers are not allowed in formula one air racing due metal fatigue and in flight failures of metal propellers. 

The one advantage of a metal prop is that the pitch can be changed (you don't want to watch them repitch it though).

I think running 2800 rpm wide open in cruise is perfect. 

If your going to spend money on a new prop then it's worth at least concidering a constant speed prop if your engine is set up for it.  I'm on the fence for my airplane.  I think you can get a used/rebuilt prop and governer for about $6,000 and it weighs about 50 pounds.  There are lighter constant speed props out there but they are $10-12,000, but maybe you can find one used. 

Anyhow, hope this was helpful...

Scott
--- On Mon, 4/4/11, F. Tim Yoder <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: Metal prop?
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:21 PM

What engine? About 4 years ago Sensenich was doing vibration tests on one for the Cont. IO-240. I don't know if is for sale, you might check with them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: