Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spar?New wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Spar?New wing Reply with quote

HI
Here i go again.[I previously queried about a new wing for a Light Sport
TR1 conversion.] so how about staying outside the box.Why not a local copy
of the original wing using some local proven methods[3 piece Jodel or T18
style],wood or metal spar and ribs,and Ceconite or metal covering.Use as
many of the original wing parts as possible.
A cordial relationship with your British "FAA" during the effort may
resolve a few problems and make the effort a satisfying fun project.

Hiding
Ted

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spar?New wing Reply with quote

Not sure I'm completely behind the swing of your axe mate, but as I understand it a light sport conversion would have to be type approved before it can fly. That is a whole different kettle of fish.

Be that as it may, most of us are quite happy with the way the original TR-1 flies, so all I am after is to have a supply line for bog standard parts established - wings in this case. If we can get at least a modicum of that support re-established the value of our planes (to ourselves and others) will be retained.

So focus should first be on making the current fleet of owners happy by giving them access to replacement parts - that in itself is good marketing and it is the best kind one could get - honest and free.

In fact I'll stick my neck out and predict that, unless that happens, Pulsar will not get off the ground (again).

Regards,
Alfred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Spar?New wing Reply with quote

Hi Alfred...

Please be very wary of pulsar. I don't know that they ever actually produced a part or if they really have any tooling for a TR-1. They might promise you stuff just to get you to send them a check.

Scott

--- On Sun, 4/17/11, BlueSkyFlier <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Spar?New wing
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 10:15 AM

--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com (bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com)>

Not sure I'm completely behind the swing of your axe mate, but as I understand it a light sport conversion would have to be type approved before it can fly. That is a whole different kettle of fish.

Be that as it may, most of us are quite happy with the way the original TR-1 flies, so all I am after is to have a supply line for bog standard parts established - wings in this case. If we can get at least a modicum of that support re-established the value of our planes (to ourselves and others) will be retained.

So focus should first be on making the current fleet of owners happy by giving them access to replacement parts - that in itself is good marketing and it is the best kind one could get - honest and free.

In fact I'll stick my neck out and predict that, unless that happens, Pulsar will not get off the ground (again).

Regards,
Alfred

--------

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List" sp;--> http://f= - List Contributionsp; &bsp;-->

[quote][b]

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Spar?New wing Reply with quote

It wouldn't be all that much work to make tooling for wing skins and the spar. I would just hotwire cut foam tooling mounted on thick plywood, cover it with aluminum tape, wax it and layup the skins. No joggles or anything, just top half and bottom half. You would need to vaccum bag it but only enough to hold the foam to shape while it cured. You could even make a half tool and glass the skins together later to keep the tool a managable size. The spar tool could just be made from wood.

You would also be able to modify the trailing edge of the lower skin to match the triangular cross section of the flaps/ailerons.

Scott

--- On Sun, 4/17/11, tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us <tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

Quote:

From: tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us <tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Subject: Spar?New wing
To: "KIS-LIST, MATRONICS" <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 9:46 AM

--> KIS-List message posted by: <tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us (tmclam(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us)>

HI
Here i go again.[I previously queried about a new wing for a Light Sport
TR1 conversion.] so how about staying outside the box.Why not a local copy
of the original wing using some local proven methods[3 piece Jodel or T18
style],wood or metal spar and ribs,and Ceconite or metal covering.Use as
many of the original wing parts as possible.
A cordial relationship with your British "FAA" during the effort may
resolve a few problems and make the effort a satisfying fun project.

Hiding
  nics.com/Navigator?KIS-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigsp; - MATRONICS WEB FO/" ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin==========

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: