Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everettmcollier(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar Reply with quote

Last time I flew (April 16th) it was for the grand kids to watch grandpa Ev fly the Pulsar around the pattern (35 Hrs on the tach at this point). While climbing out and just beginning to turn downwind, the 582 stopped. The "fly the plane" thing kicked in and I turned back to the runway and landed downwind without incident. I was bit long though, just before the numbers at the wrong end, so went out onto the overrun about 150 ft, but it was smooth and no problem.

Just decided to try the starter after stopping, and it fired right up. Taxied back to my hanger.
Did not do more than a quick look for the problem at that time. Just checked to make sure I had really had the fuel selector in the right place.

Now of course, I would like to know exactly what happened before committing aviation again, but so far have not been able to find a cause. I think it must have been a fuel starvation issue, but cannot find a reason.

Possibly relevant facts:
It was the first flight after removing and replacing the engine to facilitate repair of the exhaust muffler where a mounting tab I had welded on it had pulled out.
I had ground run the engine for 10 minutes the day I got it all back together. All temps seemed normal and so put it away for the day.
While I had the engine out, I drained and replaced the gearbox lube since it was convenient to do it with the engine on the bench.
I had turned off the boost pump at about 600 ft AGL before the engine quit.
I was on the center tank at the time and did not try to switch tanks or restart while landing. Note that my pulsar has wing tanks as well as the original 582 center tank. There was at least 6 gallons of fuel in the tank at the time. The sight gage is not calibrated precisley.
Sense then I have visually inspected everything I can without joy including rechecking the engine wiring connections.
I tied the pulsar to a fence post and ground ran it for 10 more minutes at full power (5800 to 5900 rpm. Nothing unusual. Had a friend hold the tail on the ground and repeated the full power ground run all with the boost pump off. Same result. Note that I have not changed the fuel selector in all of this.
While landing, the prop did turn over a couple fo times.
There was at least a qt of oil in the oil tank for the oil pump.
The tank vent tube is not plugged.

Any ideas? My wife's idea is to get rid of the airplane. Not my choice though.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded query.
Everett Collier

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
bill46221(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar Reply with quote

Everitt The last time that happened to me I was 270 miles from home. I had looked many times before but the last time I found a price of masking tape in my fuel tank. Never happened again. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Everett Collier <everettmcollier(at)yahoo.com (everettmcollier(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

[quote] Last time I flew (April 16th) it was for the grand kids to watch grandpa Ev fly the Pulsar around the pattern (35 Hrs on the tach at this point). While climbing out and just beginning to turn downwind, the 582 stopped. The "fly the plane" thing kicked in and I turned back to the runway and landed downwind without incident. I was bit long though, just before the numbers at the wrong end, so went out onto the overrun about 150 ft, but it was smooth and no problem.

Just decided to try the starter after stopping, and it fired right up. Taxied back to my hanger.
Did not do more than a quick look for the problem at that time. Just checked to make sure I had really had the fuel selector in the right place.

Now of course, I would like to know exactly what happened before committing aviation again, but so far have not been able to find a cause. I think it must have been a fuel starvation issue, but cannot find a reason.

Possibly relevant facts:
It was the first flight after removing and replacing the engine to facilitate repair of the exhaust muffler where a mounting tab I had welded on it had pulled out.
I had ground run the engine for 10 minutes the day I got it all back together. All temps seemed normal and so put it away for the day.
While I had the engine out, I drained and replaced the gearbox lube since it was convenient to do it with the engine on the bench.
I was on the center tank at the time and did not try to switch tanks or restart while landing. Note that my pulsar has wing tanks as well as the original 582 center tank. There was at least 6 gallons of fuel in the tank at the time. The sight gage is not calibrated precisley.
Sense then I have visually inspected everything I can without joy including rechecking the engine wiring connections.
I tied the pulsar to a fence post and ground ran it for 10 more minutes at full power (5800 to 5900 rpm. Nothing unusual. Had a friend hold the tail on the ground and repeated the full power ground run all with the boost pump off. Same result. Note that I have not changed the fuel selector in all of this.

Everett Collier

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar Reply with quote

Thanks, I can empty the tank and check for debris.
How many hours before your problem occured?

To: "pulsar-list(at)matronics.com" <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wed, April 27, 2011 2:31:37 PM
Subject: Re: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar

Everitt The last time that happened to me I was 270 miles from home. I had looked many times before but the last time I found a price of masking tape in my fuel tank. Never happened again. Good luck

[quote][b]

ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar Reply with quote

Everett,

I didn't have the 582 engine quit, but I had an incident where the engine lost about 1000 rpm for about 8 seconds, came back up, then dropped rpm again. I landed with the engine still running. I did find the area of filler cap that was crumbling (improperly finished that I had to rebuild) that was getting into the fuel line and causing major blockage in the fuel filter, plus my vent tube was completely blocked.

It would be helpful if you could be more descriptive when you say "the 582 stopped".

Best regards,

Ron

To: Pulsar Builders <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wed, April 27, 2011 4:05:56 PM
Subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar

Last time I flew (April 16th) it was for the grand kids to watch grandpa Ev fly the Pulsar around the pattern (35 Hrs on the tach at this point). While climbing out and just beginning to turn downwind, the 582 stopped. The "fly the plane" thing kicked in and I turned back to the runway and landed downwind without incident. I was bit long though, just before the numbers at the wrong end, so went out onto the overrun about 150 ft, but it was smooth and no problem.

Possibly relevant facts:

Everett Collier

[b]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Ron, by "the 582 stopped", it was like if I had turned off both ignition switches at once. I have checked and rechecked the engine wiring.
At this point My main suspect is debris in the tank causing a blockage. I plan to drain the tank and filter the fuel to look for anything I can find. The fuel is unleaded premium auto fuel and it will not go back in the Pulsar. I will burn it in my Jeep.

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thu, April 28, 2011 6:47:43 AM
Subject: Re: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar

Everett,

I didn't have the 582 engine quit, but I had an incident where the engine lost about 1000 rpm for about 8 seconds, came back up, then dropped rpm again. I landed with the engine still running. I did find the area of filler cap that was crumbling (improperly finished that I had to rebuild) that was getting into the fuel line and causing major blockage in the fuel filter, plus my vent tube was completely blocked.

It would be helpful if you could be more descriptive when you say "the 582 stopped".

Best regards,

Ron

To: Pulsar Builders <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wed, April 27, 2011 4:05:56 PM
Subject: Need Engine Out Guidance for 582 Pulsar

Possibly relevant facts:

Everett Collier
Quote:
[b]

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: