Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Ultralight vs Amateur Built in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Advanced Ultralight vs Amateur Built in Canada Reply with quote

I have a question for those canadian builders and flyers of 701’s, What are the pros and cons of registering a 701
as an advanced ultralight as opposed to Amateur Built. I have started with the rudder and hz stabilizer partial kits
from Zenith and plan on finishing the plane buying the materials from Zenith. If I am going to register it as an
AB I need to notify the ministry now.

I realize AU has to be built from factory supplied parts and cannot be modified from the original design w/o the manufacturers premission. I have
started with the rudder and hz stabilizer partial kits from Zenith and plan on finishing the plane buying the materials from Zenith.

The only modification I am considering, if it is a modification at all, would be to put some fat Alaskan Bush Tires on it like Christopher Desmond
has on his and the roller blade wheel under the tail as he has done.

Any comments as to whether these would be a modification or not would be appreciated.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Advanced Ultralight vs Amateur Built in Canada Reply with quote

The major drawback to going Amateur Built is having to deal with the MDRA. They are supposed to be non-profit but they sure charge enough for the paperwork and inspections. Depending on your distance from your inspector, this will likely add between $1000.00 and $2000.00 to the cost to build. That being said, I went Amateur Built with my 701 and would do so again. An AB plane is a real plane. An AULA is, lets face it, an ultralight. The same two planes sitting for sale side by side, the AB is going to sell first.

Another thing I don't like about the AULA catagory is, for the most part, it is an orphan. Since the US finally got going on LSA/SP, there have been very few developments in the AULA catagory. Eventually LSA/SP will arrive here in Canada and I suspect that AULA will likely end up being folded into LSA when that happens.

As you mention, since you are the manufacturer of and AB plane, you can do pretty much whatever you like to it (within reason). Since Zenair will be the manufacturer listed on the dataplate of an AULA, they are going to err on the side of caution with regard to any modifications.

I hope these ramblings have been of some help. As I said, I went AB and don't regret it.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701, NW Ontario

Do Not Archive

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, June 5, 2011 1:02:23 PM
Subject: Advanced Ultralight vs Amateur Built in Canada

I have a question for those canadian builders and flyers of 701’s, What are the pros and cons of registering a 701
as an advanced ultralight as opposed to Amateur Built. I have started with the rudder and hz stabilizer partial kits
from Zenith and plan on finishing the plane buying the materials from Zenith. If I am going to register it as an
AB I need to notify the ministry now.

I realize AU has to be built from factory supplied parts and cannot be modified from the original design w/o the manufacturers premission. I have
started with the rudder and hz stabilizer partial kits from Zenith and plan on finishing the plane buying the materials from Zenith.

The only modification I am considering, if it is a modification at all, would be to put some fat Alaskan Bush Tires on it like Christopher Desmond
has on his and the roller blade wheel under the tail as he has done.

Any comments as to whether these would be a modification or not would be appreciated.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Zenair_Mathieu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Ultralight vs Amateur Built in Canada Reply with quote

PRESS RELEASE, February 2010. See the COPA and RAA magazines.

Zenair Ltd. re-established as the official representative for Chris Heintz designs in Canada.
Midland, Ontario, Canada – Zenair Ltd., a pioneer in the Canadian light aircraft kit industry, has been re-established as the official Canadian representative for Chris Heintz kit aircraft designs. Aeronautical engineer Chris Heintz founded Zenair Ltd. in 1974 to manufacture aircraft kits and components for the burgeoning market for “homebuilt aircraft” and over the years has designed more than 20 aircraft models for the sport aviation marketplace. In 1992, Zenith Aircraft Company was formed in Missouri to manufacture and market Chris Heintz kit aircraft designs from it central U.S. location. The company currently produces kits for the popular high-wing STOL CH 750 and the sleek low-wing CH 650, as well as earlier models such as the STOL CH 701 light sport utility kit plane.
Zenair Ltd. will benefit Canadian customers in numerous ways as the Canadian dealer for Chris Heintz designs in Canada. Zenair stock complete airframe kits at its factory in Ontario, as well as section kits and individual parts and components to better service the hundreds of Canadian builders across the country. “In-stock parts means better service and support to our customers in Canada,” explained Mat Heintz, vice president of Zenair Ltd. “Customers can now pick-up their kits at Zenair which can easily save more than $1,200.00 in crating and shipping charges, not to mention the hassles with importing a kit through customs.”
Zenair Ltd. replaces Can-Zac Aviation Ltd. for Zenith Aircraft kit sales and service in Canada, though Can-Zac Aviation will continue to offer onsite builder assistance and Canadian Advanced Ultralight quick-build assemblies: “We help customers to finish their kits in record time at our facility and assist them with professional builder assistance,” states Mark Townsend, owner of Can-Zac Aviation Ltd. “We can now focus all of our energy on building and flying.” Mark Townsend is well known among Zenair aircraft owners.
Zenair Ltd. has been actively producing the complete kits for the four-seat Zodiac CH 640 (a low wing based on the certified CH 2000 designs) and the four-seat STOL CH 801, a utility high-wing aircraft, from its production facilities in Midland, Ontario. Zenair also manufactures and markets a complete line of lightweight all-metal floats for light aircraft, which are sold in kit form or factory-assembled and available as straight floats or in amphibious versions. Zenair Ltd. typically employs a skilled workforce of 15 to 20 staff for the manufacturing of parts and assemblies which are shipped to customers around the world.

Also, if you are planning on registering your STOL or Zodiac project as an AULA, call Matt at Zenair ASAP as Mark at Can-Zac is not signing off the SOC anymore.

For more information on the Zenair Ltd. and the light aircraft designs it represents in Canada, please contact Mr. Michael or Matt Heintz at Zenair Ltd.
Tel. 705-526-2871 E-mail: zenair.com(at)gmail.com
Zenair Ltd.
Huronia Airport, Midland, ON L4R 4K8 Canada
www.zenair.com Tel. 705-526-2871 Fax. 705-526-8022

Also, Zenair-Huronia Airport open house June 11, 2011. http://www.huroniaairport.com/

Email Zenair directly if you have any questions.
zenair.com(at)gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: