Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed pitch to constant speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

I have a RV8A with an O-360 and fixed pitch Sensenich prop. I am considering changing to a constant speed prop, but I am concerned about the added weight on the nose of the plane. My plane is on the nose heavy side as it is, and I would not like to make it any more so. I am looking at the Whirlwind RV series. Does anyone out there know how the installed weight of a Whirlwind prop compares to the fixed pitch Sensenich? The Whirlwind prop and spinner weigh in at about 38# according to the folks at Whirlwind. I was hoping to find out the weight of the Sensenich installation without pulling my prop.

Thanks,
Craig Gallenbach
Eastover, NC
RV8-A, N184CG 195hrs
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List
Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

I didn't see the weight on vans website. Did you check your prop paperwork?
I have a whirlwind for my RV7 project. I'm looking forward to flying with it. On Jun 25, 2011 10:04 AM, "Craig Gallenbach" <craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com (craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:> I have a RV8A with an O-360 and fixed pitch Sensenich prop. I am considering changing to a constant speed prop, but I am concerned about the added weight on the nose of the plane. My plane is on the nose heavy side as it is, and I would not like to make it any more so. I am looking at the Whirlwind RV series. Does anyone out there know how the installed weight of a Whirlwind prop compares to the fixed pitch Sensenich? The Whirlwind prop and spinner weigh in at about 38# according to the folks at Whirlwind. I was hoping to find out the weight of the Sensenich installation without pulling my prop.
> Thanks,
Quote:
Craig GallenbachEastover, NCRV8-A, N184CG 195hrs

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

No weight in the docs or website. Seemed odd.

Craig

On Jun 25, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Larry Bowen <larry(at)bowenaero.com (larry(at)bowenaero.com)> wrote:

[quote]
I didn't see the weight on vans website. Did you check your prop paperwork?
I have a whirlwind for my RV7 project. I'm looking forward to flying with it. On Jun 25, 2011 10:04 AM, "Craig Gallenbach" <[url=mailto:craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com]craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com (craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com)[/url]> wrote:> I have a RV8A with an O-360 and fixed pitch Sensenich prop. I am considering changing to a constant speed prop, but I am concerned about the added weight on the nose of the plane. My plane is on the nose heavy side as it is, and I would not like to make it any more so. I am looking at the Whirlwind RV series. Does anyone out there know how the installed weight of a Whirlwind prop compares to the fixed pitch Sensenich? The Whirlwind prop and spinner weigh in at about 38# according to the folks at Whirlwind. I was hoping to find out the weight of the Sensenich installation without pulling my prop.
> Thanks,
Quote:

Quote:

[b]

flyguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

Whirlwind is much lighter and very fast. Don't know why your wt is so nose-heavy, but most CS Hartzells, such as mine on the 8 are fine...I know a friend who has a Whirlwind & is so light, he has to run a full smoke oil tk up front when carrying a passenger.

To: RV list <rv-list(at)matronics.com>; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; SERV <rvsoutheast-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:01 AM
Subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed
I have a RV8A with an O-360 and fixed pitch Sensenich prop. I am considering changing to a constant speed prop, but I am concerned about the added weight on the nose of the plane. My plane is on the nose heavy side as it is, and I would not like to make it any more so. I am looking at the Whirlwind RV series. Does anyone out there know how the installed weight of a Whirlwind prop compares to the fixed pitch Sensenich? The Whirlwind prop and spinner weigh in at about 38# according to the folks at Whirlwind. I was hoping to find out the weight of the Sensenich installation without pulling my prop.
Thanks,

Craig Gallenbach
Eastover, NC
RV8-A, N184CG 195hrs
Quote:

[quote][b]

flyguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

BTW, I have a deal on a Hartzell std CS prop if you care...Bill C. (fresh off refurb by Western Prop)

To: RV list <rv-list(at)matronics.com>; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; SERV <rvsoutheast-list(at)matronics.com>
Thanks,

Craig Gallenbach
Eastover, NC
RV8-A, N184CG 195hrs
Quote:

[quote][b]

vitez(at)carolina.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

I did that and never looked back Smile Sensenich is 40lbs plus spinner...

Good luck!
Radomir

---- Craig Gallenbach <craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
I have a RV8A with an O-360 and fixed pitch Sensenich prop.  I am considering changing to a constant speed prop, but I am concerned about the added weight on the nose of the plane.  My plane is on the nose heavy side as it is, and I would not like to make it any more so.  I am looking at the Whirlwind RV series.  Does anyone out there know how the installed weight of a Whirlwind prop compares to the fixed pitch Sensenich?  The Whirlwind prop and spinner weigh in at about 38# according to the folks at Whirlwind.  I was hoping to find out the weight of the Sensenich installation without pulling my prop.
Thanks,

bill(at)repucci.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

Craig,

The first thing you need to determine is if your O-360 is suitable for a CS prop. A number of them were built with solid cranks.

As for the weight of your Sensenich prop, Aircraft Spruce lists the “Approximate Shipping Weight 40 LBS”.

Your W&B issue may be a result of the location of the battery. Some -8 builders put them behind the passenger and others put it on the firewall.

Best of luck with your switch.

Bill

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Craig Gallenbach
To: RV list; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; SERV

Thanks,

Craig Gallenbach

Eastover, NC

RV8-A, N184CG 195hrs
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

craigtxtx(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Fixed pitch to constant speed Reply with quote

Bill,Excellent point about checking out the engine. Seems I did not plan well here. I called Superior (now back in business somewhat) and talked to a service rep. we informed me that my engine would require significant modifications to be made suitable for a constant speed prop. When I heard the words, "split the case" I pretty much gave up on the idea. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input. I'll be sticking with my reliable fixed pitch prop.
Craig

--- On Sat, 6/25/11, Bill Repucci <bill(at)repucci.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: RE: Fixed pitch to constant speed
To: rvsoutheast-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2011, 6:03 PM
Craig,

The first thing you need to determine is if your O-360 is suitable for a CS prop. A number of them were built with solid cranks.

As for the weight of your Sensenich prop, Aircraft Spruce lists the “Approximate Shipping Weight 40 LBS”.

Your W&B issue may be a result of the location of the battery. Some -8 builders put them behind the passenger and others put it on the firewall.

Best of luck with your switch.

Bill

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Craig Gallenbach
To: RV list; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; SERV

Thanks,

Craig Gallenbach

Eastover, NC

RV8-A, N184CG 195hrs
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: