Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear leg cracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: gear leg cracks Reply with quote

During our annual inspection we found a 1" long squiggly crack in both
of the main gear legs, 4" from the fuselage. We ordered a new pair of
gear legs today for $850. I was told that there has been only one other
owner in the USA reporting cracked gear legs and it happened to them
twice and in the same location which was the same location as I ours.
It seems like a manufacturing or design defect to me, but Doug
Hempstead assured me that it was not but all have resulted from hard
landings. We have not had any hard landings, perhaps a few
not-so-smooth landings at near gross weight, but none that I would
classify as hard landings. However, since we bought ours used from a
dealer, it had been used as a demo plane and perhaps primary training,
but not sure.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR DURING PRE-FLIGHT INSPECTION:
On LEFT main gear leg the crack occurred 4" from the fuselage on the
FORWARD edge beginning at the mold line.
On RIGHT main gear leg the crack occurred 4" from the fuselage on the
AFT edge beginning at the mold line.

Attached photos shows the squiggly crack with the beginning and end
points marked by a pair of arrow heads.

Thom in Buffalo

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

IMG_0130_1_7.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  374.12 KB
 Viewed:  772 Time(s)

IMG_0130_1_7.JPG

IMG_0131_2_4_7.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.85 KB
 Viewed:  741 Time(s)

IMG_0131_2_4_7.JPG

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: gear leg cracks Reply with quote

Thom: I would be interested in finding out what the delivery time is for
your new landing gear legs. What has Fantasy Air USA told you? I finally
received my new replacement aluminum wing tanks last week. Fantasy Air USA
shipped them to me from Sanford, NC. They arrived with the flanged ends
severely bent in three or four places around the circumference of the
flange. It looked like some one deliberately bent the flanges on both tanks.
I was shocked! I had to send them back. They were shipped by UPS from
Sanford, NC to my dealer in Morganton, NC. I had to wait 6 weeks to get them
after asking and asking for them to be shipped, and now I'm told by Fantasy
Air USA that I'll have to wait another six weeks to get another set. Earlier
they told me that they had the new aluminum tanks in stock. It is obvious
they do not have the tanks in stock. My fuselage is still sitting in Fantasy
Air's hanger waiting for them to install the BRS. It has been sitting there
for nine weeks along with the BRS chute. When I ask Fantasy Air USA to tell
me when they will have the BRS installed, I get no answer. I am really
frustrated with how I am being treated as a customer.

Hugh in NC

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: gear leg cracks Reply with quote

Hugh,

I was told the gear legs were in stock so I ordered the gear legs on Thursday morning and I received an email later in the day that the legs would be shipped same day. I emailed back and asked for the UPS tracking number. Betty emailed be a tracking number that I susequently tried to track but the UPS tracking system said it was an invalid tracking number. I tried it again this morning and UPS says it is enroute and on-time. I don't think UPS does real time tracking number uploading into their tracking number system. FedEx does it real time; as the package is labeled it is in the system.

As you know, customer support is very important in long term survival of any business that has competition. It appears to me that the Hempsteads have been focusing most of their early efforts on marketing and building a dealer network. Bad press from customers will get their attention, I'm sure. Speaking of which, I was hoping that they would participate in this forum, but the NY dealer specifically asked them to and they saw no reason to do so. I think in time, they will see that it would benefit them to be active in this forum, especially if we can get most of the Allegro owners to do so.

We should continue to use this forum for keeping in touch with each other and discussing issues that we could all benefit from knowing. Eventually, once the word gets out and more people have questions about the Allegro, this forum will become quite active. At least that is my hope.

Thom in Buffalo

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: gear leg cracks Reply with quote

My original post on this subject was done from the email list rather than the web forum so the photo I attached was stripped out. I'll try posting it here again.

Thom in Buffalo

IMG_0130_1_7.JPG
 Description:
Arrowhead pairs indicate beginning and end of 1" long crack.
 Filesize:  374.12 KB
 Viewed:  734 Time(s)

IMG_0130_1_7.JPG

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: IMPORTANT UPDATE ON GEAR LEG CRACKS Reply with quote

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON GEAR LEG CRACKS.

Upon removal of old gear legs, to install new ones, we found that there was a crack on the upper surface of each gear leg where it makes contact at the entrance to the fuselage gear leg socket. I'm attaching a photo below showing this.

I ground down the small 1" crack and determined it was only skin deep (through the gel-coat only) on both legs. However, the longer (all the way across the leg) cracks were more than skin deep. They went at least through the first layer of cloth.

THESE BIG CRACKS WERE NOT VISIBLE WITHOUT REMOVING THE GEAR LEG CLAMPING BRACKET AND MOVING THE GEAR LEG AWAY FROM THE FUSELAGE !!!

Please look for cracks at this location during your inspection. I would also recomend taking a measurement between the gear legs at the axle and occasionally check this distance to detect some sag in gear before failure. This should be done at the same weight on each check. We are now doing it with the main tank full but no occupants. If this distance gets larger, it could be an early warning of impending gear cracks or complete failure.

My Opinion as to cause:
It appears that when the gear leg flexes, the stresses are concentrated where the leg enters the fuselage gear socket, partly because there is a relatively sharp edge where they come into contact with each other. In my opinion, there should be a gap at this point so the leg can flex some before coming into contact with this relatively sharp edge.

I am not a structural engineer but a retired mechanical design engineer and this looks like a problem area to me. I have an idea of how to fix this but won't post it here because I don't want anyone thinking that I am redesigning the Allegro and I don't want any liability for others actions based on my ideas. You can blame the lawyers for this.

PLEASE INSPECT YOUR GEAR LEGS at the fuselage entrance point.

Original Rt gear leg - cracked[2].JPG
 Description:
Original Right Gear Leg, CRACKED at entrance to fuselage socket. Not visible without removing leg clamp and moving gear away from fuselage.
 Filesize:  41.32 KB
 Viewed:  765 Time(s)

Original Rt gear leg - cracked[2].JPG

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: