Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcruiser1947(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: ELT Reply with quote

Hi Guys
At Oshkosh this year I purchased a Kannard 406 ELT with internal antenna and GPS. It has a external antenna plug in that I plugged my old 121.5 antenna into. When I did the install I did the first test listing for the 121.5 on one of my radio's however had to take it up to the shop to test the 406 signal. They have the test gear that can decode the 406 signal. When we did that test I left it on too long ( over 50 seconds ) and it went into the alarm mode broadcast. When I discovered that I had left it on I shut it off. We were inside doing the paperwork when my cell phone rang and it was some Airforce sargent from search and rescue. It was on less than 2 minutes and a satellite had picked it up and in less than 15 min. I am explaining what was going on. WOW !! Nice to know it works.

Next I'll try to sell my old ELT.

Bob A
N949Y

[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: ELT Reply with quote

I had the same kind of incident while at El Salvador. Within 30minutes I got a call from an AF LtCol about my ELT. They knew the signal was coming from the El Salvador airport even thought it was INSIDE a metal hangar. Very impressive.

BTW, make sure you change the antenna to one designed for the 406/121.5 ELT. If you use the old 121.5/243.0 antenna you might burn up the 406 power amplifier section due to impedance mismatch. 121.5 and 243.0 are harmonics of each other and use the same antenna length. 406 has a different wavelength and the Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR) is outside the maximum the section will handle without possible damage. The new antennas have a matching transformer (BALUN) that brings the VSWR within tolerance at all 3 frequencies. If the ELT transmits for a length of time with the old 121.5/243.0 antenna, it will fail.

The last thing you want is to have the ELT transmitter section fail after a few minutes of operation when you really need it.
Galin

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Robert Anderson <kcruiser1947(at)yahoo.com (kcruiser1947(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hi Guys
At Oshkosh  this year I purchased a Kannard 406 ELT with internal antenna and GPS. It has a external antenna plug in that I plugged my old 121.5 antenna into. When I did the install I did the first test listing for the 121.5 on one of my radio's however had to take it up to the shop to test the 406 signal. They have the test gear that can decode the 406 signal. When we did that test I left it on too long ( over 50 seconds ) and it went into the alarm mode broadcast. When I discovered that I had left it on I shut it off. We were inside doing the paperwork when my cell phone rang and it was some Airforce sargent from search and rescue. It was on less than 2 minutes and a satellite had picked it up and in less than 15 min. I am explaining what was going on. WOW !! Nice to know it works.

Next I'll try to sell my old ELT.

Bob A
N949Y

Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: