Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil tank size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Oil tank size Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am about to start making an oil tank for my M332 and cannot find any indication of what size it should be, so any help here will be appreciated.

Any hints or tips or would also be welcome.

I don't know if it is just my imagination but I recall seeing a diagram for an oil tank but cannot find it now so if you anything please let me know, I would like to know if it needs baffles and a breather and what hardware fittings to use for inlet, outlet, drain and filler.

Thanks

Mike
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lom-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List
sbeaver(at)columbus.rr.co

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Oil tank size Reply with quote

A six quart tank would be adequate. You will probably have another quart in the hose, filter and cooler.
Baffles not typically required
Yes, it needs to be vented, either directly, or connected to the engine breather
Use fittings of the same size as those found on the engine. AN-10 fittings should be adequate
A drain fitting is optional, but convenient.
I assume you don’t need inverted flight capability?

Steve

On 10/3/11 12:09 AM, "Mike Pienaar" <[url=mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca]mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca[/url]> wrote:

[quote]Hi all,

I am about to start making an oil tank for my M332 and cannot find any indication of what size it should be, so any help here will be appreciated.

Any hints or tips or would also be welcome.

I don't know if it is just my imagination but I recall seeing a diagram for an oil tank but cannot find it now so if you anything please let me know, I would like to know if it needs baffles and a breather and what hardware fittings to use for inlet, outlet, drain and filler.

Thanks

Mike

ail Forum -
">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List
; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com
;- List Contribution Web Site -
;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lessdragprod(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Oil tank size Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I seem to remember that the LOm book says 7 quarts minimum plus the amount you wuold use iinflight. A 7 1/2 to 8 quart tank?
Having said that, I believe my system has a 7 quart tank.

When I get to the airport, I see what size oil lines were installed by the LOM distributor/mechanic.

As I remeber, the oil line from the oil tank is fairly large. This is a suction line from the oil tank to the engine oil pump.
I believe the oil line from the engine is the same as a 5/8" flare tube line, even if their are metric.

The LOM engine measures the oil temperature as it goes into the engine before the oil pump. Basically the same oil temperature as that coming out of the oil tank. Top of the green is at 80 degrees C. Red line is 85 degrees C.

Regards,
Jim Ayers
RV-3 sn 50 LOM M332A engine with MT electric 3 blade CS propeller.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: