Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liight Sport Compliant Pulsar XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Liight Sport Compliant Pulsar XP Reply with quote

I am writing this in reaction to the decision at the Reunion in Lawrence that it might not be a good idea to highlight ones desire to fly the Pulsar as a Light Sport Compliant airplane.

What follows is my personal position and my rational for flying my Pulsar as a Light Sport Pilot.  I have discussed this with two FAA Designated Examiners and a chap who gives lectures for AOPA and EAA on the Light Sport rules.  No one has seen a problem with my rationale for designating my Pulsar XP as being Light Sport compliant. Note - - - I did not ask permission to do what I do.  When dealing with the Government I have always acted on the principle that it is easier to obtain foregiveness than it is to obtain permission.  I worked for the Government for 17 years and found that this applies whether you are out of the government asking it for something or whether you are working within the government.

I am in no way putting this forth as a recommendation to anyone. It is my rationale.

1. The FAA in its role in certifying my experimental plane would not and did not accept any of the speed parameters published by Aero Designs in its sales literature.  I was charged in the first 40 hours of flight with establishing the various speeds. 

2. The FAA did not ask and did not express any interest in any of the cruising speeds, neither speed at 25% of power, 50%, 75% or speed at maximum continuous power. There is no place in any of the documentation to record such speeds. I have a digital read-out airspeed indicator and thus no green, red or yellow arcs in my air speed indicator. The only audible warning set is for Vne - 160.

3. That Aero Designs in it sales literature listed a cruising speed of 140 MPH is irrelevant. The FAA did not accept stall speed and other speeds so there is no rational for the FAA to assume that the cruising speed at maximum continuous power is 140 MPH. In fact Areo Designs notes that cruising speed can vary with the type of prop and prop settings. That Aero Designs advertised that the cruising  speed of the Pulsart XP as 140 is not grounds for the FAA  to take the position that the plane can not be Light Sport compliant.

4. I am the manufacturer of my Pulsar XP and as such am responsible for establishing and recording the flight parameters.  The FAA says so ! ! !

5. The FAA did not ask me to establish a max continuous power setting nor did they ask what the speed was at that max power setting. BUT - - -

6. Though not required to do so by the FAA I felt it necessary to designate a max continuous power setting for my Pulsar XP.All our Pulsars are different and no generally applicable set of parameters can be established.  Because of the unique nature of my plane  I , again as the manufacturer, have established 4,850 RPM as the maximum continuous cruise power setting and recorded same in the Pilots Operating Handbook.  I footnoted the max power limitation noting that the tightly cowled 912 UL engine in the Pulsar was in danger of overheating at power setting above 4,850 RPM.

7. At this power setting indicated air speed at sea level on a standard day (( The same as true air speed)) is 135 MPH. That my Pulsar will go faster than 135 is irrelevant. (( As many of you know I have had my Pulsar up to 325 MPH)) Point the  nose of any airplane to the ground and it will go over 135 MPH.  Indicated air speed at continuous  max power is the only one that counts.

8. I do not hesitate telling people the above if they ask and I do not feel that I am stretching anything in claiming that my Pulsar is Light Sport compliant. In any event, the manufacturer says it is compliant.

Bernie Wilder
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: