Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre oiling new rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup. Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota? 20 degrees F. Thanks jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

J:

I use the OIL COOLER threads.
I want to do this but have not had the chance:  Remove one of the Oil Plugs on the front of the engine.  Pump the oil in at the Oil Cooler and SEE if the oil reaches the front of the engine.

As for the type of oil:  20W-50 Multi grade. Are yo breaking in the engine?  If so Philips makes a recommended 20W-50 Non-AD oil.
BUT!  Times they are a changing... Some Mfg. now recommend 20W-50 AD oil for break-in.    And that is the way I went. No Problem...  550+ Hrs since new.

Barry

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Zimmermans <jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)> wrote:
[quote] I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup.  Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota?  20 degrees F.    Thanks          jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Hi,

I used the oil pressure sender line. 30 weight sounds good to me but it is a little warmer in Australia Smile

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Zimmermans
Sent: Thursday, 15 December 2011 3:50 AM
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Pre oiling new rebuild

I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup. Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota? 20 degrees F. Thanks jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

oldernut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

That's amazing. I was just about to ask the same question about my A-65.

Dave

--

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

What did you use as a pressure source? I am starting a C85 in January.

Lyle

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:15:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Pre oiling new rebuild

J:

I want to do this but have not had the chance:  Remove one of the Oil Plugs on the front of the engine.  Pump the oil in at the Oil Cooler and SEE if the oil reaches the front of the engine.

As for the type of oil:  20W-50 Multi grade. Are yo breaking in the engine?  If so Philips makes a recommended 20W-50 Non-AD oil.

BUT!  Times they are a changing... Some Mfg. now recommend 20W-50 AD oil for break-in.    And that is the way I went. No Problem...  550+ Hrs since new.

Barry

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Zimmermans <jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)> wrote:
[quote] I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup.  Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota?  20 degrees F.    Thanks          jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
Quote:

_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Hi,

I used an old gas cylinder (5 pounds ish!) with a schrader valve incorporated in the top of the cylinder and a hose connecting to the oil pressure outlet on the engine. I used a small compressor to pressurise the cylinder pumping oil into all engine cavities.

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Lyle Fast
Sent: Thursday, 15 December 2011 10:43 AM
Subject: RE: Pre oiling new rebuild

What did you use as a pressure source? I am starting a C85 in January.

Lyle

J:

I want to do this but have not had the chance: Remove one of the Oil Plugs on the front of the engine. Pump the oil in at the Oil Cooler and SEE if the oil reaches the front of the engine.

As for the type of oil: 20W-50 Multi grade. Are yo breaking in the engine? If so Philips makes a recommended 20W-50 Non-AD oil.

BUT! Times they are a changing... Some Mfg. now recommend 20W-50 AD oil for break-in. And that is the way I went. No Problem... 550+ Hrs since new.

Barry

Quote:
_blank>www.aeroelectric.com/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contributionList" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-Listttp://forums.matronics.com=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Peter:

Did you remove the remove the front oil plug to see if the oil made it all the way up front?
Barry

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Peter W Johnson <vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au (vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi,

I used an old gas cylinder (5 pounds ish!) with a schrader valve incorporated in the top of the cylinder and a hose connecting to the oil pressure outlet on the engine.  I used a small compressor to pressurise the cylinder pumping oil into all engine cavities.

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Lyle Fast
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com (continental-list(at)matronics.com)

Lyle

J:

Barry

I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup.  Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota?  20 degrees F.    Thanks          jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
Quote:
   _blank>www.aeroelectric.com/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contributionList" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-Listttp://forums.matronics.com=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution 

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[b]

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

That sounds about right, I'll see if I can find a clean one.
What are people thinking about ground run ups during break in? This engine has not run since rebuild and won't fly till next summer. I would like to prove it runs, tune it and do some static runs with the new prop out side my shop in cool/cold conditions. I can monitor CHT and have been thinking about auxiliary cooling air for these runs. I understand low rpm running is not good but what about static runs at close to 70% rpm/power?
Lyle

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:14:20 +1100

.ExternalClass .ecxshape {;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";} .ExternalClass span.ecxHTMLPreformattedChar {font-family:Consolas;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle20 {font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} (at)page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;} .ExternalClass div.ecxWordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}
Hi,

I used an old gas cylinder (5 pounds ish!) with a schrader valve incorporated in the top of the cylinder and a hose connecting to the oil pressure outlet on the engine.  I used a small compressor to pressurise the cylinder pumping oil into all engine cavities.

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Lyle Fast

Lyle

J:

Barry

I have a fresh rebuilt 0-200 that I want to pressure oil before the first startup.  Where is the best place to hook the pressure line in? The oil filter, oil pressure sender, oil temp sender or one of the plugs in the front of the case? Also, how about 30 weight break-in oil this time of the year in Minnesota?  20 degrees F.    Thanks          jezim(at)pro-ns.net (jezim(at)pro-ns.net)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Lyle:

Ground Run-Up are NOT recommended.
Engine shops have CLUBS (Small Diameter Props usually made of wood to keep them light) for ground run-ups.
A standard prop will not reach the required RPM and the engine will not reach break-in temperatures.

You also will not cool the engine properly.
More damage will be done ground running than flying for 300 hours. <-- Rule of thumb.
I have installed and broken in about 6 engines - I NEVER ran the engine on the ground for more time than to adjust idle, mixture and movement of cables.
GO FLY!
Barry

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Lyle Fast <lylefast(at)hotmail.com (lylefast(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
That sounds about right, I'll see if I can find a clean one.
What are people thinking about ground run ups during break in? This engine has not run since rebuild and won't fly till next summer. I would like to prove it runs, tune it and do some static runs with the new prop out side my shop in cool/cold conditions. I can monitor CHT and have been thinking about auxiliary cooling air for these runs. I understand low rpm running is not good but what about static runs at close to 70% rpm/power?
Lyle

From: vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au (vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au)

Hi,

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Lyle Fast

Lyle

Subject: Re: Continental-List: Pre oiling new rebuild

J:

Barry

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Barry,
  Nice clear answer, nothing wishy washy about that!
Thanks, Lyle

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:31:23 -0500

Lyle:

Ground Run-Up are NOT recommended.

Engine shops have CLUBS (Small Diameter Props usually made of wood to keep them light) for ground run-ups.

A standard prop will not reach the required RPM and the engine will not reach break-in temperatures.

You also will not cool the engine properly.

More damage will be done ground running than flying for 300 hours. <-- Rule of thumb.

I have installed and broken in about 6 engines - I NEVER ran the engine on the ground for more time than to adjust idle, mixture and movement of cables.
GO FLY!

Barry

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Lyle Fast <lylefast(at)hotmail.com (lylefast(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] That sounds about right, I'll see if I can find a clean one.
Lyle

From: vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au (vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au)

Hi,

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

Lyle

J:

Barry

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[b]

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Barry,

No, I just pumped oil into the pressure gauge hole and all worked perfectly after.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, 16 December 2011 1:31 AM

Peter:

Did you remove the remove the front oil plug to see if the oil made it all the way up front?

Barry
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Peter W Johnson <vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au (vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au)> wrote:
Hi,

I used an old gas cylinder (5 pounds ish!) with a schrader valve incorporated in the top of the cylinder and a hose connecting to the oil pressure outlet on the engine. I used a small compressor to pressurise the cylinder pumping oil into all engine cavities.

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

What did you use as a pressure source? I am starting a C85 in January.

Lyle

J:

I want to do this but have not had the chance: Remove one of the Oil Plugs on the front of the engine. Pump the oil in at the Oil Cooler and SEE if the oil reaches the front of the engine.

As for the type of oil: 20W-50 Multi grade. Are yo breaking in the engine? If so Philips makes a recommended 20W-50 Non-AD oil.

BUT! Times they are a changing... Some Mfg. now recommend 20W-50 AD oil for break-in. And that is the way I went. No Problem... 550+ Hrs since new.

Barry

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Pre oiling new rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Peter are you VK3EKA?

I'm WB2ZDH
OK, on the pre-oil.  As I said, I never tried it but I think it would be a great way to verify that the oil is getting all around.

Another TRICK.  Install an oil temp probe in the 1/8" NPT thread in the front of the case.  You will get REAL temp reading that really mean something.  They will be of the FRONT bearing.  I have heard of 25 Deg F differences between the front and rear of the case.

Barry

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Peter W Johnson <vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au (vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au)> wrote:
[quote]
Barry,

No, I just pumped oil into the pressure gauge hole and all worked perfectly after.

Cheers

Peter

From: owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-continental-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, 16 December 2011 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: Continental-List: Pre oiling new rebuild

Peter:

Barry

Hi,

All worked well.

Cheers

Peter

Lyle

J:

Barry

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: