Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

181 mph Allegro!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad(at)vision-technology

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

This list has been way too quiet, so I thought it was time to shake things
up and brag about my 181 mph Allegro. (hopefully this list allows the
attached pictures to go through).

Of course we won't discuss how fast I was going in the OTHER direction.

It was a strange day. 55 degrees (in North Dakota, in January, and that was
ABOVE zero). Surface winds were 10 mph, while the winds at 2,500' agl were
60 mph. Amazingly, no wind shear and just a little light chop. In 24 years
of flying I've never seen that kind of difference in the wind without
getting tossed around the sky.

Hope everybody else is getting some flying in too. Forecast today is 45 F
and 10 mph winds, so I may have to get out and fly for the first time in a
few weeks.

Brad Kramer
Mandan ND USA
N221FA

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

10mphSurfaceWind.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.73 KB
 Viewed:  8097 Time(s)

10mphSurfaceWind.jpg

181mphGroundSpeed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.67 KB
 Viewed:  8097 Time(s)

181mphGroundSpeed.jpg

theskunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

What type of cruise speeds do you typically get in your airplane? Is yours a 2000 or 2007?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

I have an Allegro 2000 - 80 hp. At 4950 rpm the speed is 100 kts.

..brad

----------------------------------
Sent from Android phone

theskunk <rob.wilmoth(at)gmail.com> wrote:[quote] S WEB [quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

If I recall your earlier email... you're hoping to find the fastest LSA you
can?

What other kind of requirements or limits do you have?

If you're interested in experimental, a Titan Tornado II-S or a Sonex might
fit the mission. They aren't as refined, quiet or comfortable as an Allegro
and maybe need more runway, but as I understand it they are somewhat faster.
I guess it all depends on how long of trips you are looking at.

For me, 90% of my flights are within a 200 mile radius. At that distance
the speed differences aren't significant in trip time. But if you're
planning frequent trips of, say, 500 miles or more then the speed becomes
much more of a factor.

My bottom-line suggestion is to be realistic about the flying you'll do. If
most of your travel will be under 300 miles or so then don't worry too much
about speed. The comfort, enjoyment, flying qualities, range and payload of
the plane will mean a lot more to you than a few minutes difference in how
long it takes to get there.

I'd certainly be happy to offer any personal opinions and sharing of
experience as you go through making this decision. (my previous planes
include a 65 mph Fisher Classic biplane and a 180 mph Mooney, plus several
others in-between, so I'm happy to share my personal observations regarding
speed vs. cost vs. flying qualities, etc).

For me, the Allegro is a great fit. It is my 6th airplane and is by far the
one I've owned the longest. (with no intention of selling anytime soon).
Every plane is a compromise. This one is what works best for my needs.

Best of luck!

Brad Kramer
Allegro N221FA
Mandan ND

--

theskunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

Brad,

Forgive the delay in responding, for some reason email notifications had been turned off...

I've got a few requirements for my mission, almost all of which is less than 300, with one potential up to 400 for a grandparent in Indiana (400.2, in fact). Realistically that far away, i'd expect to be 4 hours realistically for any LSA, fast or slow, and that would probably require a fuel/restroom stop for me.

I'm currently looking more toward an SLSA aircraft, however would be willing to consider an ELSA from an experienced builder -- I do not have a desire to build my own aircraft at this time, but would probably want to do something like that down the road.

I've been flying a Sportcruiser for the past few months, and while I have enjoyed it, the plane is almost 2 hours drive away, which does inhibit my usage quite a bit. I would have flown this past weekend to my vacation destination, for example (25 minute flight vs 2 hour car ride + the joy of getting there by air!)

As for load, the allegro doesn't seem to be able to be beat, however I'd really prefer glass cockpit, xm weather, and an autopilot, which it doesn't seem like most of them have. As for budget, i'd like to stay in the 50-75k range, as thats what I believe my partner and I can handle.

The other concern for the Allegro, is the storage... I'm not sure that we'd be able to swing a hanger all year, and it does surely seem that with a fiberglass aircraft, they seem to want them stored inside... even the metal ones seem to need to be indoor kept...

Thoughts?

jlhazen(at)copper.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: 181 mph Allegro! Reply with quote

Rob,
I just thought I'd jump in. Me and the "Skeeter" (Allegro N44469) have been to 48 states & 120+ airports. I usually fly a max of 600 miles per day, which is 2-fuel stops. I try for a 2-hour turn around. That gives time for gas, bio-break and weather brief. I use an AnywhereMap touchscreen ATC for NAV system. More features and way less than Garmin. Those big clear doors make the Allegro great for inflight photography.
Happy flying,
Jim
N44469
--- rob.wilmoth(at)gmail.com wrote:

To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 181 mph Allegro!
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 18:57:25 -0700

Brad,

Forgive the delay in responding, for some reason email notifications had been turned off...

I've got a few requirements for my mission, almost all of which is less than 300, with one potential up to 400 for a grandparent in Indiana (400.2, in fact). Realistically that far away, i'd expect to be 4 hours realistically for any LSA, fast or slow, and that would probably require a fuel/restroom stop for me.

I'm currently looking more toward an SLSA aircraft, however would be willing to consider an ELSA from an experienced builder -- I do not have a desire to build my own aircraft at this time, but would probably want to do something like that down the road.

I've been flying a Sportcruiser for the past few months, and while I have enjoyed it, the plane is almost 2 hours drive away, which does inhibit my usage quite a bit. I would have flown this past weekend to my vacation destination, for example (25 minute flight vs 2 hour car ride + the joy of getting there by air!)

As for load, the allegro doesn't seem to be able to be beat, however I'd really prefer glass cockpit, xm weather, and an autopilot, which it doesn't seem like most of them have. As for budget, i'd like to stay in the 50-75k range, as thats what I believe my partner and I can handle.

The other concern for the Allegro, is the storage... I'm not sure that we'd be able to swing a hanger all year, and it does surely seem that with a fiberglass aircraft, they seem to want them stored inside... even the metal ones seem to need to be indoor kept...

Thoughts?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374632#374632

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: