Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check your wing to fuselage fittings for tightness!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Check your wing to fuselage fittings for tightness! Reply with quote

We just completed our 16th "annual" inspection. (17th year of flying,
3300 hrs.) I had rechecked the torque on the front and rear wing to
fuselage fittings about seven to ten years ago, but to my surprise, the
front screws took another quarter turn this time. The rear bolts were
still pretty tight but needed an eighth of a turn.

I'm thinking that installing Countersunk Tinnerman washers on the front
screws (which the factory called for in a SB and then later rescinded)
might be a good idea. I'm guessing the screw heads are crushing the
glass over time and, as with a wood prop and crushing fibers, need
constant re-torquing?

(We also checked the engine mount to firewall torque years ago. Those
bolts also needed a quarter turn more back then.)

FWIW, we fly straight & level. No aerobatics.

P.S. The plane is still for sale. glasairforsale,freevar.com

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer <><

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
n355tc(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Check your wing to fuselage fittings for tightness! Reply with quote

With 3300 hours tightening them once doesn't sound too bad. Ironically, I just drilled these very holes to mount the wing on my glasair 3 today!
Did you mark the nuts when you installed them to have a reference? This way you can tell if they are backing off or if indeed they are working into the fiberglass. Would be useful to know this one. Either way, 17 years and 3300 hours seems like quite a bit of flying to only need that small tweak. Good luck with the sale, too bad you are leaving the ranks of glasairs.
Todd

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 4, 2012, at 5:06 PM, mppalmer(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:

We just completed our 16th "annual" inspection. (17th year of flying, 3300 hrs.) I had rechecked the torque on the front and rear wing to fuselage fittings about seven to ten years ago, but to my surprise, the front screws took another quarter turn this time. The rear bolts were still pretty tight but needed an eighth of a turn.

I'm thinking that installing Countersunk Tinnerman washers on the front screws (which the factory called for in a SB and then later rescinded) might be a good idea. I'm guessing the screw heads are crushing the glass over time and, as with a wood prop and crushing fibers, need constant re-torquing?

(We also checked the engine mount to firewall torque years ago. Those bolts also needed a quarter turn more back then.)

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer <><

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gossend(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Check your wing to fuselage fittings for tightness! Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. I'll check 'em.
Dick Gossen
N90GG
22 years flying/1900 hours
On Jun 4, 2012, at 4:06 PM, mppalmer(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:

We just completed our 16th "annual" inspection. (17th year of flying, 3300 hrs.) I had rechecked the torque on the front and rear wing to fuselage fittings about seven to ten years ago, but to my surprise, the front screws took another quarter turn this time. The rear bolts were still pretty tight but needed an eighth of a turn.

I'm thinking that installing Countersunk Tinnerman washers on the front screws (which the factory called for in a SB and then later rescinded) might be a good idea. I'm guessing the screw heads are crushing the glass over time and, as with a wood prop and crushing fibers, need constant re-torquing?

(We also checked the engine mount to firewall torque years ago. Those bolts also needed a quarter turn more back then.)

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer <><

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Check your wing to fuselage fittings for tightness! Reply with quote

I talked to friend from Germany that built fiber glass yachts beginning in the late 1950's through the late 1970's. Now he produces fiber glass parts for aircraft ranging from wheel pants to wing tips. I remember him telling me that resin continues to cure even after it's initial cure until it eventually disintegrates. Don't worry because that will take a few hundred years or more. He reported the resin cures in a curve that slowly drops off over time. I would imagine that as the resin cures over lets say the first several years that it may also shrink. Has anyone made any studies or taken any measurements? And could this be the reason for screws and bolts becoming loose? Back in 1996 I had my nose wheel assembly part company on my 1991 Glasair 2S Ft when we landed on grass growing on a sandy type of soil and it flung into my right main causing the wing to drop on the dangling right main strut causing the outer bottom skin to dent a little. Those original 3/16 bolts holding on the nose wheel trunions stretched until they snapped causing the nose wheel assembly to part company. When I had the wing in the shop and began to sand it to scarf in layers of cloth I found I couldn't make any progress sanding it by hand. So I used a body grinder beginning with 150 grit paper and nothing happened, I kept switching paper until I ended using 80 steel grit!! I found grinding through the factory layers harder than grinding through aircraft sheet aluminum. My German friend asked me if I had built a tank!!
Here is a hint. In case you have to make a fiber glass repair, after you use the heavy cloth and it has cured use a very light fiber glass cloth used on model aircraft as a finishing layer to cover up the weave of the heavier factory glass cloth weave. After that spray it with a two part feather fill and block sand it out.

In a message dated 6/4/2012 5:37:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mppalmer(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
--> Glasair-List message posted by: mppalmer(at)aol.com

We just completed our 16th "annual" inspection. (17th year of flying,
3300 hrs.) I had rechecked the torque on the front and rear wing to
fuselage fittings about seven to ten years ago, but to my surprise, the
front screws took another quarter turn this time. The rear bolts were
still pretty tight but needed an eighth of a turn.

I'm thinking that installing Countersunk Tinnerman washers on the front
screws (which the factory called for in a SB and then later rescinded)
might be a good idea. I'm guessing the screw heads are crushing the
glass over time and, as with a wood prop and crushing fibers, need
constant re-torquing?

(We also checked the engine mount to firewall torque years ago. Those
bolts also needed a quarter turn more back then.)

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer the ies ay - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - List Contribution Web Site p;  

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: