Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FWIW on Alpha Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: FWIW on Alpha Systems Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris, for the clarification.

For others following along, I've not been offered to "beta" test the
Alpha System on our Glasair. Here's my concern:

Suppose I pay the big bucks and install the system. And let's just say
it doesn't work as advertised, as my previous experience with the Rite
Angle and our goofy indicated airspeed into the stall would predict.

If I call Alpha Systems and tell them their product doesn't work,
they're going to tell me it's an installation problem. That they're
only responsible to make sure the product worked properly in their test
chamber when it shipped. That it's my responsibility to mount it in lab
conditions on the Glasair.

And they'd probably be right.

But I don't want to be the guinea pig to have to figure all that out. I
have a hard time believing the AOA probe mounted 3 inches below the
wing mounted way back at an inspection cover is going to work right.
I'm thinking it might have to stick out the front of the leading edge,
with attendant "break off" problems. Is their "100% satisfaction
guarantee!" like Sears'? No questions asked, I can return for any
reason?

I don't know how many Glasair pilots read this list server, but so far,
no one with an Alpha Systems AOA on their Glasair has chimed in saying
how well it works on their Glasair. Bruce, what are pilots saying in
the News?

I agree with a previous poster that my hand on the stick can detect the
stall buffet pretty well. Still, it couldn't hurt to have an indicator
that tells you you're not going to get into the stall buffet.

Mike Palmer <><

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
keepertoad(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: FWIW on Alpha Systems Reply with quote

The beauty of AOA is that it's not about stall, it's about flying AOA for approach instead of airspeed. You always know you have the right approach speed regardless of weight or density altitude if it's a proper AOA.

B.J.
Glasair 300JJ

CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 11:06 -0400, mppalmer(at)aol.com wrote: [quote]
Quote:

--> Glasair-List message posted by: mppalmer(at)aol.com (mppalmer(at)aol.com)

Thanks, Chris, for the clarification.

For others following along, I've not been offered to "beta" test the
Alpha System on our Glasair. Here's my concern:

Suppose I pay the big bucks and install the system. And let's just say
it doesn't work as advertised, as my previous experience with the Rite
Angle and our goofy indicated airspeed into the stall would predict.

If I call Alpha Systems and tell them their product doesn't work,
they're going to tell me it's an installation problem. That they're
only responsible to make sure the product worked properly in their test
chamber when it shipped. That it's my responsibility to mount it in lab
conditions on the Glasair.

And they'd probably be right.

But I don't want to be the guinea pig to have to figure all that out. I
have a hard time believing the AOA probe mounted 3 inches below the
wing mounted way back at an inspection cover is going to work right.
I'm thinking it might have to stick out the front of the leading edge,
with attendant "break off" problems. Is their "100% satisfaction
guarantee!" like Sears'? No questions asked, I can return for any
reason?

I don't know how many Glasair pilots read this list server, but so far,
no one with an Alpha Systems AOA on their Glasair has chimed in saying
how well it works on their Glasair. Bruce, what are pilots saying in
the News?

I agree with a previous poster that my hand on the stick can detect the
stall buffet pretty well. Still, it couldn't hurt to have an indicator
that tells you you're not going to get into the stall buffet.

Mike Palmer <><

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Alpha Systems AOA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FWIW on Alpha Systems Reply with quote

I'm enjoying our conversation about AOA here. Again, this is a topic that needs much more honest discussion throughout all of general aviation.

With the exception of weather related incidents, what is one of the most frequent accident occurances? Base to final, stall/spin. Sadly, we hear it over and over again. This can be greatly reduced or avoided all together with the use of an angle of attack system. When Navy aircraft first implemented AOA in 1957 and the fatality rate dropped nearly 50% in one year.

In response to your concern about Alpha Systems AOA not working in your plane, we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If the product does not work the way we say it will work you will get your money back. Plus we have a trade in program as well. If you send us an old AOA, the guage and transducer(each end of the system) we will discount your order $160.00. This offer is good on the electronic kits only.

"The beauty of AOA is that it's not about stall, it's about flying AOA for approach instead of airspeed. You always know you have the right approach speed regardless of weight or density altitude if it's a proper AOA." -BJJ

Absolutely. Airspeed is the result of angle of attack. With AOA you know definitively the amount of available lift and have a margin of safety above stall while at Optimum Alpha. AOA will indicate proper approach speeds under all conditions of weight, CG, flap position, air density, turbulence or angle of bank. Not only will AOA help with approach, it is effective for best rate climbs, best angle climbs, best glide, steep turns to name a few.

The fact of the matter is, as pilots we've had airspeed pounded into our heads from day one. It's time to change the way we think. Check out the link below, you'll find it interesting.

http://www.ballyshannon.com/aoavoices2.html

763-506-9990 or 877-571-3770 ext.-205
chrisc@depotstar.com
www.alphasystemsaoa.com
ccox(at)aerialgroup.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: FWIW on Alpha Systems Reply with quote

Please remove me from list

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:39 PM, "Alpha Systems AOA" <chrisc(at)depotstar.com> wrote:

Quote:

I'm enjoying our conversation about AOA here. Again, this is a topic that needs much more honest discussion throughout all of general aviation.

With the exception of weather related incidents, what is one of the most frequent accident occurances? Base to final, stall/spin. Sadly, we hear it over and over again. This can be greatly reduced or avoided all together with the use of an angle of attack system. When Navy aircraft first implemented AOA in 1957 and the fatality rate dropped nearly 50% in one year.

In response to your concern about Alpha Systems AOA not working in your plane, we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If the product does not work the way we say it will work you will get your money back. Plus we have a trade in program as well. If you send us an old AOA, the guage and transducer(each end of the system) we will discount your order $160.00. This offer is good on the electronic kits only.

"The beauty of AOA is that it's not about stall, it's about flying AOA for approach instead of airspeed. You always know you have the right approach speed regardless of weight or density altitude if it's a proper AOA." -BJJ

Absolutely. Airspeed is the result of angle of attack. With AOA you know definitively the amount of available lift and have a margin of safety above stall while at Optimum Alpha. AOA will indicate proper approach speeds under all conditions of weight, CG, flap position, air density, turbulence or angle of bank. Not only will AOA help with approach, it is effective for best rate climbs, best angle climbs, best glide, steep turns to name a few.

The fact of the matter is, as pilots we've had airspeed pounded into our heads from day one. It's time to change the way we think. Check out the link below, you'll find it interesting.

http://www.ballyshannon.com/aoavoices2.html

--------
Chris Crosby-CFI, CFII, CSIP
Sales/Technical Support
Alpha Systems AOA
763-506-9990 or 877-571-3770 ext.-205
chrisc(at)depotstar.com
www.alphasystemsaoa.com

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=375772#375772

keepertoad(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: FWIW on Alpha Systems Reply with quote

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 14:39 -0700, Alpha Systems AOA wrote:
Quote:
Not only will AOA help with approach, it is effective for best rate climbs, best angle climbs, best glide, steep turns to name a few.

And equally important, L/D max.

B.J.
Glasair 300JJ

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.2 (Santiago) [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: