Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voltage problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonja.englert(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

Hello Group,
I have a problem with the system voltage since I replaced the battery recently in my Pulsar. After startup with the new battery, the voltage regulator did not seem to be working. Voltage increased to 15V-16V on the ground at 2500 engine rpm. If I increase the rpm the voltage can go as high as 19V. I have to keep the rpm low (2000) to keep the voltage <15V. After about 6-8 minutes, all of a sudden the voltage regulator seems to kick in and the voltage goes back to normal below 14V and stays there.
I put the old battery back and the voltage was normal from the start.
The old battery is 12V, 33Ah, the new one 12V, 22Ah of the same brand. Engine Rotax 912 with Ducati voltage regulator.
The problem did not happen with the new battery if the engine was warm. I wonder if it has something to do with temperature.
Has anyone had this problem or has an idea what is going on?

Sonja

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
331bp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

I would be replacing that voltage regulator.

On Jun 16, 2012, at 1:49 PM, "sonja.englert(at)juno.com" <sonja.englert(at)juno.com> wrote:

Quote:

Hello Group,
I have a problem with the system voltage since I replaced the battery recently in my Pulsar. After startup with the new battery, the voltage regulator did not seem to be working. Voltage increased to 15V-16V on the ground at 2500 engine rpm. If I increase the rpm the voltage can go as high as 19V. I have to keep the rpm low (2000) to keep the voltage <15V. After about 6-8 minutes, all of a sudden the voltage regulator seems to kick in and the voltage goes back to normal below 14V and stays there.
The old battery is 12V, 33Ah, the new one 12V, 22Ah of the same brand. Engine Rotax 912 with Ducati voltage regulator.
The problem did not happen with the new battery if the engine was warm. I wonder if it has something to do with temperature.

Sonja

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

MyronTruex(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

Changing a battery will not by itself cause an issue. Bumping something that
is not making a good contact will. Or the old battery was masking a problem
by putting enough load on the stator output to hold it down. The first thing
I would do is put a hand held voltmeter across the battery terminals with
the engine running. If it shows the voltage high there the regulator is not
doing its job. I haven't looked at the schematic in many years but remember
we used a capacitor that was recommended. The capacitor might have provided
some quicker filtering than the battery but never made much sense to an ET.
If you see the voltage high with the hand held you can turn on your strobes
and whatever else you have as a temporary remedy. I am making an assumption
you do not have the actual alternator and are using the 17 amp stator
charger system.

Myron
I miss my magic carpet ride. 30TX

--

ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

Sonja,

To be safe replace the voltage regulator. When the voltage regulator fails, it will typically be noticed as extreme over voltage like you were experiencing. The fact that it appeared to start working again, could be a sign of a possible bad connection.

When the voltage regulator dies, the voltage decreases significantly with every major current draw. Watch the voltage when you switch on the landing light, then the nav lights ... if you see a volt or two drop, from the over voltage you are experiencing, with each added load, then the regulator is definitely not working. You can also see this in the ammeter. The ammeter will show a pretty constant charging and not ramp down once battery regains charge, but will drop down in steps as the landing and nave lights are switched on.

I hope this is of help.

Best regards,

Ron
From: "sonja.englert(at)juno.com" <sonja.englert(at)juno.com>
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sat, June 16, 2012 2:05:46 PM
Subject: Voltage problem

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "sonja.englert(at)juno.com (sonja.englert(at)juno.com)" <sonja.englert(at)juno.com (sonja.englert(at)juno.com)>

Hello Group,

Sonja

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

Could be a bad connection, I had an intermitant problem on my motocycle on
rough roads, the tech established a bad connection under the surface he
removed some filler material on the CDI resoldered it refilled the surface
material - then no more problem. Could also relate to a voltage regulator
cracked connection when moveing the battery around ????.
Food for thought

---

sonja.englert(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

On my flight yesterday during the first minute after startup the voltage regulator worked, then it quit for 5 minutes, then it worked again for the rest of the flight. I’m thinking there may be a bad connection in the engine compartment which may be affected by heat. I will do some more troubleshooting.
Thanks for the input from all.

Sonja

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Voltage problem Reply with quote

I have found internet sites that discuss repairs on CDI's [I think called
solid state] components

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: