Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIS-List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerocb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

6/25/2012

Hello Mark, You wrote: "The family is attempting to track down as many kits
as we can find."

As time goes by I reflect more and more with growing admiration and respect
for Rich and what he created with the KIS family of aircraft. I think that
it would be a fine tribute to the memory of Rich to have a listing of all
the KIS kits, finished airplanes, and their status.

If you were to formalize your track down effort with some sort of a format
that we could contribute to and ultimately access I would greatly appreciate
it. Something like this?

Kit Number: 116

Kit Type: KIS TR-1

Original Purchaser: Owen C. Baker

Date Purchased: 09/05/1997

Builder: Owen C. Baker

First Flight: 11/17/2003

Current Owner: Owen C. Baker

Flight Time: 373 Hours as of 06/25/2012

Engine: TCM IO-240 B9B

Thank You,

OC

====================================================================

To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 located near Cinn, Ohio? or within 200
miles?
Quote:

Hello Jerry,

To the best of my knowledge there are no KIS aircraft in Ohio. The closest
KIS TR-1s to that area are:

George Moore - Jackson, Michigan

Evan Carew - Beverly Hills, Michigan

Older KIS owned by Ed Forester - Fischers, Indiana (this airplane
currently being advertised for sale).

There is another TR-1 build in mid to south eastern Indiana near the
Illinos border but I have been unable to locate this one. This guy is a
Kitfox builder and would be in his late 70s. He bought the kit for cross
country flying. This airplane should be flying.

Mr. Elden - Zelienople, Pennsylvania; This is under construction and very
far along and can be seen at EAA chapter 857.

Jerry, Do you still have the Kindig KIS TR-1 N94K (#094 or #095)? Can you
inform me as to the status of this airplane? The family is attempting to
track down as many kits as we can find.

Best Regards,
Mark Trickel

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Here is the info for my kit...

Quote:
Kit Number: ? Fuselage kit purchased second hand. I built the wing kit myself out of carbon fiber in 1999. It was the last wing made and the tooling was bearly useable.

Original Purchaser: ?

Date Purchased: late 90s

Builder: Scott Stearms

First Flight: 6/2010

Current Owner: Scott Stearns

Flight Time: 115 Hours as of 06/2012

Engine: Lycoming IO-360 Modified ~220 HP

Location: Camarillo, CA (in the hangar next to the one where the factory airplanes lived)

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:47 PM, "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net> wrote:

Quote:

6/25/2012

Hello Mark, You wrote: "The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find."

As time goes by I reflect more and more with growing admiration and respect for Rich and what he created with the KIS family of aircraft. I think that it would be a fine tribute to the memory of Rich to have a listing of all the KIS kits, finished airplanes, and their status.

If you were to formalize your track down effort with some sort of a format that we could contribute to and ultimately access I would greatly appreciate it. Something like this?

Thank You,

OC

====================================================================

To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 located near Cinn, Ohio? or within 200 miles?

>
>
> Hello Jerry,
>
> To the best of my knowledge there are no KIS aircraft in Ohio. The closest KIS TR-1s to that area are:
>
> George Moore - Jackson, Michigan
>
> Evan Carew - Beverly Hills, Michigan
>
> Older KIS owned by Ed Forester - Fischers, Indiana (this airplane currently being advertised for sale).
>
> There is another TR-1 build in mid to south eastern Indiana near the Illinos border but I have been unable to locate this one. This guy is a Kitfox builder and would be in his late 70s. He bought the kit for cross country flying. This airplane should be flying.
>
> Mr. Elden - Zelienople, Pennsylvania; This is under construction and very far along and can be seen at EAA chapter 857.
>
> Jerry, Do you still have the Kindig KIS TR-1 N94K (#094 or #095)? Can you inform me as to the status of this airplane? The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark Trickel

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

For TR-4 SN 4052

Kit Number: 52
Kit Type: KIS TR-4
Original Purchaser: David Tate
Date Purchased: ???
Builder: David Tate
First Flight: 12/03/2001
Current Owner: Galin Hernandez
Flight Time: 850 Hours as of 06/25/2012
Engine: Lyc 0-360 A4M
Current Location: Houston, TX (Has lived many places)
Tail Number: N819PR (Original N92DT)

Galin

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com (sstearns2(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> KIS-List message posted by: Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com (sstearns2(at)yahoo.com)>

> Kit Number: ? Fuselage kit purchased second hand.  I built the wing kit myself out of carbon fiber in 1999.  It was the last wing made and the tooling was bearly useable.
>
> Kit Type: KIS TR-1
>
> Original Purchaser: ?
>
> Date Purchased: late 90s
>
> Builder: Scott Stearms
>
> First Flight: 6/2010
>
> Current Owner: Scott Stearns
>
> Flight Time: 115 Hours as of 06/2012
>
> Engine: Lycoming IO-360 Modified ~220 HP
>
> Location: Camarillo, CA (in the hangar next to the one where the factory airplanes lived)
>

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:47 PM, "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)> wrote:

> --> KIS-List message posted by: "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>
>
> 6/25/2012
>
> Hello Mark, You wrote: "The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find."
>
> As time goes by I reflect more and more with growing admiration and respect for Rich and what he created with the KIS family of aircraft. I think that it would be a fine tribute to the memory of Rich to have a listing of all the KIS kits,  finished airplanes, and their status.
>
> If you were to formalize your track down effort with some sort of a format that we could contribute to and ultimately access I would greatly appreciate it. Something like this?
>
> Kit Number: 116
>
>
> Original Purchaser: Owen C. Baker
>
> Date Purchased: 09/05/1997
>
> Builder: Owen C. Baker
>
> First Flight: 11/17/2003
>
> Current Owner: Owen C. Baker
>
> Flight Time: 373 Hours as of 06/25/2012
>
> Engine: TCM IO-240 B9B
>
> Location: Fairfax, VA
>
> Thank You,
>
> OC
>
> ===========================================
>
> From: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
> To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
> Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:07 PM
> Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 located near Cinn, Ohio? or within 200 miles?
>
>
>> --> KIS-List message posted by: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
>>
>> Hello Jerry,
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge there are no KIS aircraft in Ohio. The closest KIS TR-1s to that area are:
>>
>> George Moore - Jackson, Michigan
>>
>> Evan Carew - Beverly Hills, Michigan
>>
>> Older KIS owned by Ed Forester - Fischers, Indiana (this airplane currently being advertised for sale).
>>
>> There is another TR-1 build in mid to south eastern Indiana near the Illinos border but I have been unable to locate this one. This guy is a Kitfox builder and would be in his late 70s. He bought the kit for cross country flying. This airplane should be flying.
>>
>> Mr. Elden - Zelienople, Pennsylvania; This is under construction  and very far along and can be seen at EAA chapter 857.
>>
>> Jerry, Do you still have the Kindig KIS TR-1 N94K (#094 or #095)? Can you inform me as to the status of this airplane? The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Mark Trickel
>
>
>
>
>

===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Also, the best place I have found for information about the KIS line of airplanes is Bob Reed's web page:

http://www.kisbuild.r-a-reed-assoc.com/

Bob has done a GREAT job in getting lots of photos, data and links to all things about flying and building a KIS.

Galin
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]For TR-4 SN 4052

Flight Time: 850 Hours as of 06/25/2012

Galin

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com (sstearns2(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com (sstearns2(at)yahoo.com)>

> Kit Number: ? Fuselage kit purchased second hand.  I built the wing kit myself out of carbon fiber in 1999.  It was the last wing made and the tooling was bearly useable.
>
>
> Original Purchaser: ?
>
> Date Purchased: late 90s
>
> Builder: Scott Stearms
>
> First Flight: 6/2010
>
> Current Owner: Scott Stearns
>
> Flight Time: 115 Hours as of 06/2012
>
> Engine: Lycoming IO-360 Modified ~220 HP
>
> Location: Camarillo, CA (in the hangar next to the one where the factory airplanes lived)
>

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:47 PM, "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)> wrote:

> --> KIS-List message posted by: "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>
>
> 6/25/2012
>
> Hello Mark, You wrote: "The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find."
>
> As time goes by I reflect more and more with growing admiration and respect for Rich and what he created with the KIS family of aircraft. I think that it would be a fine tribute to the memory of Rich to have a listing of all the KIS kits,  finished airplanes, and their status.
>
> If you were to formalize your track down effort with some sort of a format that we could contribute to and ultimately access I would greatly appreciate it. Something like this?
>
> Kit Number: 116
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank You,
>
> OC
>
> ===========================================
>
> From: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
> To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
> Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:07 PM
> Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 located near Cinn, Ohio? or within 200 miles?
>
>
>> --> KIS-List message posted by: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
>>
>> Hello Jerry,
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge there are no KIS aircraft in Ohio. The closest KIS TR-1s to that area are:
>>
>> George Moore - Jackson, Michigan
>>
>> Evan Carew - Beverly Hills, Michigan
>>
>> Older KIS owned by Ed Forester - Fischers, Indiana (this airplane currently being advertised for sale).
>>
>> There is another TR-1 build in mid to south eastern Indiana near the Illinos border but I have been unable to locate this one. This guy is a Kitfox builder and would be in his late 70s. He bought the kit for cross country flying. This airplane should be flying.
>>
>> Mr. Elden - Zelienople, Pennsylvania; This is under construction  and very far along and can be seen at EAA chapter 857.
>>
>> Jerry, Do you still have the Kindig KIS TR-1 N94K (#094 or #095)? Can you inform me as to the status of this airplane? The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Mark Trickel
>
>
>
>
>

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

[b]

punchy(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Kit Number: 073
>
>
> Original Purchaser: Louis Morcheid
>
> Date Purchased: ??
>
> Builder: Louis Morchied
>
> First Flight: Oct 1997
>
> Current Owner: Rob Robinson
>
> Flight Time: 349 Hours as of 06/25/2012
>
> Engine: Lycoming a2b 0320
>
> Location: Saint Johns, Az
On 6/26/2012 5:45 AM, Galin Hernandez wrote:
Quote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Yeah but Bob has been somewhat neglectful of the site for the last couple of years. I really wish life would STOP getting in the way of my hobbies.

Bob Reed

To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tue, June 26, 2012 7:46:04 AM
Subject: Re: KIS-List

Also, the best place I have found for information about the KIS line of airplanes is Bob Reed's web page:

http://www.kisbuild.r-a-reed-assoc.com/

Bob has done a GREAT job in getting lots of photos, data and links to all things about flying and building a KIS.

Galin
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] For TR-4 SN 4052

Flight Time: 850 Hours as of 06/25/2012

Galin

Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com (sstearns2(at)yahoo.com)>

Quote:
Kit Number: ? Fuselage kit purchased second hand. I built the wing kit myself out of carbon fiber in 1999. It was the last wing made and the tooling was bearly useable.

Original Purchaser: ?

Date Purchased: late 90s

Builder: Scott Stearms

First Flight: 6/2010

Current Owner: Scott Stearns

Flight Time: 115 Hours as of 06/2012

Engine: Lycoming IO-360 Modified ~220 HP

Location: Camarillo, CA (in the hangar next to the one where the factory airplanes lived)
>

Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "bakerocb" <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>

6/25/2012

Hello Mark, You wrote: "The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find."

As time goes by I reflect more and more with growing admiration and respect for Rich and what he created with the KIS family of aircraft. I think that it would be a fine tribute to the memory of Rich to have a listing of all the KIS kits, finished airplanes, and their status.

If you were to formalize your track down effort with some sort of a format that we could contribute to and ultimately access I would greatly appreciate it. Something like this?

Thank You,

OC

==================

From: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 located near Cinn, Ohio? or within 200 miles?
> --> KIS-List message posted by: "mark_trickel" <marktrickel(at)gmail.com (marktrickel(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Hello Jerry,
>
> To the best of my knowledge there are no KIS aircraft in Ohio. The closest KIS TR-1s to that area are:
>
> George Moore - Jackson, Michigan
>
> Evan Carew - Beverly Hills, Michigan
>
> Older KIS owned by Ed Forester - Fischers, Indiana (this airplane currently being advertised for sale).
>
> There is another TR-1 build in mid to south eastern Indiana near the Illinos border but I have been unable to locate this one. This guy is a Kitfox builder and would be in his late 70s. He bought the kit for cross country flying. This airplane should be flying.
>
> Mr. Elden - Zelienople, Pennsylvania; This is under construction and very far along and can be seen at EAA chapter 857.
>
> Jerry, Do you still have the Kindig KIS TR-1 N94K (#094 or #095)? Can you inform me as to the status of this airplane? The family is attempting to track down as many kits as we can find.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark Trickel

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-Lis/www.matronics.com/contribution" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.======================

[b]

mark_trickel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: KIS-List Reply with quote

Thank you all for your information.

I found an Excel file on the web posted by one of the TR-4 builders from South Africa, and I have been adding to it ever since. The list consist of about 110 KIS aircraft. I have gathered the information from the forum, sources all over the web, and my memory. Some I have complete information, others are just aircraft that I know are out there but I have no name or serial number. There were a total of about 200 kits sold but the number could be higher, so there are plenty more to find. One interesting fact -Richard shipped more than 30 kits into Florida but I can only account for a few.

If any owners or builders would like a copy of the list as it is so far I will be happy to email it to you. I feel some of its information is personal so I do not think it should be posted on the web.

Mark Trickel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Mark,

I would like a copy of the Excel sheet if you would email it to me at:
I added my info to the email from Galin Hernandez

Thanks,

Rob Robinson TR-1

On 6/27/2012 7:56 AM, mark_trickel wrote:
Quote:

I found an Excel file on the web posted by one of the TR-4 builders from South Africa, and I have been adding to it ever since. The list consist of about 110 KIS aircraft. I have gathered the information from the forum, sources all over the web, and my memory. Some I have complete information, others are just aircraft that I know are out there but I have no name or serial number. There were a total of about 200 kits sold but the number could be higher, so there are plenty more to find. One interesting fact -Richard shipped more than 30 kits into Florida but I can only account for a few.

If any owners or builders would like a copy of the list as it is so far I will be happy to email it to you. I feel some of its information is personal so I do not think it should be posted on the web.

Mark Trickel

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=376708#376708

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

I would also like a copy.

Galin

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012, Rob wrote:
[quote]--> KIS-List message posted by: Rob <punchy(at)frontiernet.net>

Mark,

I would like a copy of the Excel sheet if you would email it to me at:  punchy(at)frontiernet.net
I added my info to the email from Galin Hernandez

Thanks,

Rob Robinson TR-1

On 6/27/2012 7:56 AM, mark_trickel wrote:
Quote:
-->  KIS-List message posted by: "mark_trickel"<marktrickel(at)gmail.com>

I found an Excel file on the web posted by one of the TR-4 builders from South Africa, and I have been adding to it ever since. The list consist of about 110 KIS aircraft. I have gathered the information from the forum,  sources all over the web, and my memory. Some I have complete information, others are just aircraft that I know are out there but I have no name or serial number. There were a total of about 200 kits sold but the number could be higher, so there are plenty more to find. One interesting fact -Richard shipped more than 30 kits into Florida but I can only account for a few.

Mark Trickel

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=376708#376708

====================================
le, List Admin.

[b]

Keith.Miller(at)esa.int

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Kit Number: 079
>
>
> Original Purchaser: Keith Miller
>
> Date Purchased: November 1995
>
> Builder: Keith Miller
>
> First Flight: Aug 2002
>
> Current Owner: Keith Miller
>
> Flight Time: 450 Hours as of 07/01/2012
>
> Engine: TCM IO-240 B1B
>
> Location: Coventry (UK)
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Kit Number 80

Kit Type .. KIS-TR-1

Purchaser /Builder ...Duane L Robinson ..MO (usa)

Purchased .....1994

Construction ... 1995-1997 ...

Engine ..Subaru EJ 22

Prop ..3 Blade gnd adjust Wood 62"

Tail# N202DR

Purchased from 3rd owner by currant owner Graham Brighton and shipped to
Australia 2007 .

Currant Reg# VH-TRI

Currant Engine .. Subaru EJ-25

Prop .. Original 3 blade gnd adjust wood 62"

A/C Total Time 364 hrs ( June 2012)

Empty Weight 403 kg

MTOW Weight 703 kg

Location .. Yarram ( Vic, Australia )

Quote:

wschertz(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS

Kit Number: 4045

Original Purchaser: William Schertz

Date Purchased: February/1997

Builder: William Schertz

First Flight: 4/22/2009

Current Owner: William Schertz

Flight Time: 80 Hours as of 06/25/2012

Engine: Mazda 13-B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

G'Day There Bill,
Great to see u have some hrs up now with the
Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but
how is everything working out ..cooling ...?..performance .....?
..wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu
.? ... are u turbo'd ..or na ..? sorry for all the questions ..just
interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton
-

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:
[quote]--> KIS-List message posted by: "Graham Brighton" <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)>

G'Day There Bill,
                               Great to see u have some hrs up now with the Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but how is everything working out ..cooling ..?..performance .....? ...wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu ..? ... are u turbo'd ..or na ..?  sorry for all the questions ..just interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton

-

le, List Admin.

[b]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Galin,
Have only seen the masses of VERY mixed opinions of the Eggenfellner set up ... Your friend should do LOTS of hmwork on this idea . There was an entire Forum running, of dissatisfied Eggenfellners owners who got together to try and get their FWF combos sorted ...!! The challenge is to harness the advances of modern technology and apply this to aviation use . Single lever engine control ... stable engine temps through climb/decent ... ignition timing optimizing power and fuel efficiency (knock control) ... are the main gains ...

The task involves three major items ..Engine .. ECU (engine computer) .. and the Redive ( gearing of engine speed to Prop speed .... The three units of course have to work in concert ...sounds easy enough .. But each one has its own index of special complexities ... and marrying this up is the 'holy grail' ..that aero/auto folks strive for .. as yet its still an untamed beast and not suited to the faint hearted ...!!!

Cheers

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

I don't believe that Eggenfelder is in business anymore so I would be concerned about support etc. A friend of mine had an RV-7A with the Eggenfelder package and he had the turbo version engine.
I went up with him once and it was very quiet and smooth though I thought it used a bit more fuel for the speed we were flying vs a good old Lyc. He later had a turbo malfunction while at sea level altitude and the thing over pressurized the
engine and caused some damage. He had it up for sale and recommended that anyone buying it should change out the engine for a Lyc.

On 7/7/2012 8:44 PM, Galin Hernandez wrote: [quote] A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "Graham Brighton" <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)>

G'Day There Bill,
Great to see u have some hrs up now with the Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but how is everything working out ..cooling ...?..performance .....? ...wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu ..? ... are u turbo'd ..or na ..? sorry for all the questions ..just interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton

-

le, List Admin.

[b]

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

THANKS! I will pass this on to him so he can make a "informed" decision. I am "old school" that still relies on engines designed for aircraft. I am not an experimenter when it comes to engines.

Galin 
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:
[quote] Galin,
           Have only seen the masses of VERY mixed opinions of the Eggenfellner set up ... Your friend should do LOTS of hmwork on this idea . There was an entire Forum running, of dissatisfied Eggenfellners owners who got together to try and get their FWF  combos sorted ...!!  The challenge is to harness the advances of modern  technology and apply this to aviation use . Single lever engine control ... stable engine temps through climb/decent ... ignition timing optimizing power and fuel efficiency   (knock control) ... are the main gains ...

The task involves three major items ..Engine . ECU (engine computer) ... and the Redive ( gearing of engine speed to Prop speed .... The three units of course have to work in concert ...sounds easy enough  ..  But  each one has its own index of special complexities  ... and marrying this up is the 'holy grail' ..that aero/auto folks strive for ..  as yet its still an untamed beast and not suited to the faint hearted  ...!!! 

Cheers

Graham

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 1:44 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)

A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin

Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "Graham Brighton" <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)>

G'Day There Bill,
                               Great to see u have some hrs up now with the Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but how is everything working out ..cooling ...?..performance .....? ...wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu ..? ... are u turbo'd ..or na ..?  sorry for all the questions ..just interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton
-

===========
le, List Admin.

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

wschertz(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Another thing to have him check is on the ECU, if the ‘limp home’ mode has been disabled. KIS Tr-1 owner had a Subaru and it went into ‘limp home’ mode when temps got high, and he didn't have enough power to stay airborne and lost the plane.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS
Phase one testing Completed

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 9:20 AM

THANKS! I will pass this on to him so he can make a "informed" decision. I am "old school" that still relies on engines designed for aircraft. I am not an experimenter when it comes to engines.

Galin
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:
[quote] Galin,
  Have only seen the masses of VERY mixed opinions of the Eggenfellner set up .. Your friend should do LOTS of hmwork on this idea . There was an entire Forum running, of dissatisfied Eggenfellners owners who got together to try and get their FWF combos sorted ...!! The challenge is to harness the advances of modern technology and apply this to aviation use . Single lever engine control ... stable engine temps through climb/decent ... ignition timing optimizing power and fuel efficiency (knock control) ... are the main gains ...

The task involves three major items ..Engine . ECU (engine computer) ... and the Redive ( gearing of engine speed to Prop speed .... The three units of course have to work in concert ...sounds easy enough .. But each one has its own index of special complexities ... and marrying this up is the 'holy grail' ..that aero/auto folks strive for ... as yet its still an untamed beast and not suited to the faint hearted ...!!!

Cheers

Graham

A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin

Quote:

G'Day There Bill,
    Great to see u have some hrs up now with the Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but how is everything working out ..cooling ...?..performance .....? ...wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu ..? ... are u turbo'd ..or na .? sorry for all the questions ..just interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton
-

===========
===========
le, List Admin.

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Quote:

[b]

jerzy_krasinski(at)sbcglo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

Galin,

One of my friends bought Subaru engine from Eggenfellner with a plan to install it into his Glasair. The engine was advertised as top of the line, with supercharger and some other bells and whistles.
Soon the engine was discontinued and no support was provided.
Lets the buyer beware...

Jerzy

To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, July 8, 2012 9:46:12 AM
Another thing to have him check is on the ECU, if the ‘limp home’ mode has been disabled. KIS Tr-1 owner had a Subaru and it went into ‘limp home’ mode when temps got high, and he didn't have enough power to stay airborne and lost the plane.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS
Phase one testing Completed

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 9:20 AM

THANKS! I will pass this on to him so he can make a "informed" decision. I am "old school" that still relies on engines designed for aircraft. I am not an experimenter when it comes to engines.

Galin
Quote:
Galin,
Have only seen the masses of VERY mixed opinions of the Eggenfellner set up ... Your friend should do LOTS of hmwork on this idea . There was an entire Forum running, of dissatisfied Eggenfellners owners who got together to try and get their FWF combos sorted ...!! The challenge is to harness the advances of modern technology and apply this to aviation use . Single lever engine control ... stable engine temps through climb/decent ... ignition timing optimizing power and fuel efficiency (knock control) .. are the main gains ...

The task involves three major items ..Engine .. ECU (engine computer) ... and the Redive ( gearing of engine speed to Prop speed .... The three units of course have to work in concert ..sounds easy enough .. But each one has its own index of special complexities ... and marrying this up is the 'holy grail' ..that aero/auto folks strive for ... as yet its still an untamed beast and not suited to the faint hearted ...!!!

Cheers

Graham

A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin

Quote:

G'Day There Bill,
    Great to see u have some hrs up now with the Rotary ... us auto conversion guys are a bit out numbered here ..!! .... but how is everything working out ..cooling ...?..performance .....? ...wondering which redrive did u go with ? .. did u use the Tracey Cook ecu ..? ... are u turbo'd ..or na ..? sorry for all the questions ..just interested thats all ..

Cheers
Graham Brighton
-

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.

Quote:

[quote]S-List" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Khttp://www.matronics.com/contribution" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http:========================

[/b][b]

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: KIS-List Reply with quote

In addition to the other issues mentioned the subaru is also significantly heavier than the lycoming for the same power. Check the empty weight and compare it to lycoming powered rv-9s. The useful load may be pretty small. The RV website shows the -9 empty to be 1050 lbs with a lycoming 320. I would be very interested to hear the empty weight on the subaru powered airplane and what the fuel flow is at full throttle and full rpm so we can get an idea of how much power it makes. 160 HP is 13-14 gph.
I think a lycoming with 10:1 pistons and electronic ignition leaned for peak EGT (which is basically what EFI does and is what lycoming recommends) is a least at efficient as an auto conversion. Also most car engines will set the mixture to best power during wide open throttle which is not good for efficient cruise. I love EFI in my car but I prefer mechanical fuel injection with manual mixture control in an airplane, but with electronic ignition.
My lycoming 360 with ported heads, 10:1 pistons, mechanical FI, and Pmag electronic ignition at full power and slightly leaned but still quite rich did 226 HP at an SFC of 0.434 lb/hr*HP on the test cell. Leaned for peak EGT at lower power I bet the SFC is close to 0.40 which not many car engines can beat at 60-70% power and none that can do 220+ HP at 2700 rpm and only weigh 300 lbs.
Anyhow, my point is that if your friend thinks an auto engine means a better or more efficient airplane he will be disappointed. If he wants to tinker with an interesting auto conversion then have at it.

Be sure the engine has the limp home mode disabled. Also be sure it has not had auto fuel with ethanol in it. That can cause all kinds of wierd problems.
Scott

On Jul 7, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]A friend of mine is thinking about buying an RV-9 with an Eggenfelder/Subaru engine and I know some here have experience with this set up. Is there anything he should be looking for or wary about with this engine?

Galin
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Graham Brighton <[url=mailto:gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au]gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)[/url]> wrote:
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "Graham Brighton" <[url=mailto:gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au]gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)[/url]>

G'Day There Bill,

Cheers
Graham Brighton

-

le, List Admin.

===================================
ef="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
ums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: