Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAA & Warbirds,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: FAA & Warbirds, Reply with quote

Today I sat though ground school on the Colling's B-17.  My 5th years now.  In the room of 12 pilots was also an FAA FDSO guy.  He's going though chemo/radiation for lung cancer (he's was a nonsmoker).  We treat him like one of us.  In a room full of professionals, he was just that also.  Being that we are seeing this guy all the time, as he is assigned to over see our operations, one can't help seeing the human side of such guys at times.  AND he loves being around these airplanes as much as we.   We laugh tell jokes on our self's and often confess this or that - that often cover some aspect of the subject we love i.e. B-17, B-24, or B-25.  That is how we learn.

God save us from the uncaring bureaucrat, BUT we do have some friends in those places that are willing to help.  Even sometimes go out on a limb.  Case in point.  EAA's B-17 has the gear come-up on landing out CA.  Who signed off the a ferry flight half way across the US?  The airplane had a broken back from where the belly turret had gone though the roof.  All four engines had been though sudden stoppage and had temporary replacement props.  The landing gear had to be bolted down for entire flight.   EAA needed to get the ship back to OSH for effective permanent repairs.  The FAA signed off the ferry flight. 

Some say the EAA has more pull than we.  Very true and may have been the case.  But these airplanes mean an awful lot to a lot of people in terms of national pride and treasure.  I like to think the FAA realizes that also. 

Once a out of district FSDO guy threaten to pull my airworthiness certificate if I ever came into his area.  (details to long to cover why).  I went to "my FSDO guy" for help.  His words "Jim you belong to me, and you can fly anywhere you want.  Give me his number."  Problem solved.

This year at ICAS we heard the FAA come up with some new procedure that will actually make it easier on you at airshows.  Details are still working out, but you may be able to leave a lot of paper work at home soon.

Polly Anna?  I guess and maybe not prudent.  But each time I've treated one of them like a fellow pro- I seem to find my way around a lot of troublesome rules.  Ass holes?  Yes, but in my 50 years, I can count them on one hand and have some fingers left over.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: FAA & Warbirds, Reply with quote

cjpilot710(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
God save us from the uncaring bureaucrat, BUT we do have some
friends in those places that are willing to help.

Agreed. When I started flying back in the '60s and my dad was helping to
start one of the very first short-haul carriers, Cable Commuter Airlines
flying Twin Otters, the FAA guys were aviation guys. They took their job
of promoting aviation seriously. Many were pilots. I would hang with the
guys as they would go over to work on problems.

Now many (most?) don't know their ass from an exhaust header. Because
they don't understand airplanes they deal with what they DO understand:
rules.

In my FSDO I have been advised to deal with one and only one inspector.
He is the last one who still understands aviation and is likely to work
with me to make the changes I want to make to my airplanes. God help me
when he leaves.

--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fougapilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: FAA & Warbirds, Reply with quote

Good point Jim,

One thing we tend to forget is as members of the EAA (as most of us are) we
are entitled to their help. The EAA has a complete department on Gov
Affairs that will jump out of their chairs to help you handle the Feds.
They certainly help me deal with the FAA when the Albany FSDO was
threatening to fine me because I began flying a pre-moratorium airplane in
their district. "Your CofA is NOT valid" Said the FSDO from his powerful
chair. "You need to send it to me and start certification from scratch". A
couple of phone call to OSH fixed that in less then 2 days.

Dan
Quote:
Reply-To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: FAA & Warbirds,
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:36:06 -0800

cjpilot710(at)aol.com wrote:
> God save us from the uncaring bureaucrat, BUT we do have some
> friends in those places that are willing to help.

Agreed. When I started flying back in the '60s and my dad was helping to
start one of the very first short-haul carriers, Cable Commuter Airlines
flying Twin Otters, the FAA guys were aviation guys. They took their job
of promoting aviation seriously. Many were pilots. I would hang with the
guys as they would go over to work on problems.

Now many (most?) don't know their ass from an exhaust header. Because
they don't understand airplanes they deal with what they DO understand:
rules.

In my FSDO I have been advised to deal with one and only one inspector.
He is the last one who still understands aviation and is likely to work
with me to make the changes I want to make to my airplanes. God help me
when he leaves.

--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

L39parts(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: FAA & Warbirds, Reply with quote

Who signed off to ferry the EAA's B-17?  It was certainly an A&P who signed the ferry permit that said the plane was in a safe condition for flight, not an FAA employee.  Look at the logbook for your plane.  Who said the plane was capable of flying?  Some mechanic signed off that it was in a safe condition for flight and the FAA/DAR signed "I find that the aircraft is eligible for the certificate requested", no comment or opinion at all on whether it would fly.
[quote] ---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: FAA & Warbirds, Reply with quote

Who signed off to ferry the EAA's B-17?  It was certainly an A&P who signed the ferry permit that said the plane was in a safe condition for flight, not an FAA employee.  Look at the logbook for your plane.  Who said the plane was capable of flying?  Some mechanic signed off that it was in a safe condition for flight and the FAA/DAR signed "I find that the aircraft is eligible for the certificate requested", no comment or opinion at all on whether it would fly.
Quote:
----- Original Message

Well I don't disagree that an IA signed it the log, but on my airplane the 'ferry permit' came from the FAA and he (the FAA guy) signed my log book as such.  And I'm willing to bet a beer the same happened with the EAA B-17.

Pappy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: