Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil pressure problems with HKS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Oil pressure problems with HKS Reply with quote

I finally got a  new VDO oil pressure sender from Fed x this last Friday after a Cluster (at)#&^%$ of epic proportions. I screwed it in and started the engine. While the pressure reading at idle was better, it was still low enough that it worried me. It was dropping lower and lower as the engine oil temps rose. I shut it off. It still bothered me that it should got belly up after an oil change, so this morning I went out again. I decided to put more oil in it just on the off chance that it was too low. The stick is bright alum and it is difficult to read with clean oil. As I was taking the paper towels that I stuff in my funnel to keep the dirt out of it, a inch and 1/4 long Scorpion made his escape from it. I then took an air hose and blew out the overflow relief tube. The tube runs over my root tube and down through the bottom of the cage.

I started the engine and the pressure readings were in the 19 lb range. I ran it at idle in the hanger for a while to see if they would begin dropping as they did before. They stayed around 19 to 13 lbs, and at 136 degrees oil temps. I decided to push it outside and see what it would do at operating speeds. All seemed to be working properly, so I took off and at cruise it was showing between 44 and 52 lbs of pressure. I flew for about 30 minutes or more and the pressure stayed where it should be. I went up high and cut it back to idle and the pressure was steady at about 19 lbs.

I am not sure if my overflow was plugged (manual troubleshooter suggests it as a problem concerning low oil pressure) or if I just didn't give the new one a proper test. I have been called a pessimist occasionally.

Larry
--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure problems with HKS Reply with quote

...overflow relief tube...

Larry,
I believe the HKS have a dry sump tank like the Rotax 912 series. If so, are you speaking of the oil tank vent tube? I believe that functions similarly for a dry sump engine as the crankcase vent does for wet sump engines, which could definitely be the cause of low oil pressure if clogged.

We don't have any scorpions in this part of the country.... I'm not complaining Smile.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure problems with HKS Reply with quote

Yes the oil tank has a vent on top of the tank. I really believe that it was the sender itself. We really don't have many of the "Mud Dauber" types that you have back East.

I flew for an hour and a half this morning and pressures were right where they should have been. I had discussed the problem with John H, and he said that if my pressures were as low as the sender was telling me, the engine would have been trashed. I have to agree. I had 160 hours on the original sender.

Its nice to be back in the air. As you guy's may remeber I had bought a Drift HD camera, and one of the features of it is the ability to turn the lens so that the horizon is level. Well I put it on my hat just to practice with a new video program that I am trying. If anyone is interested I have some dramatic scenery shots of the Owyhee Canyon and the fire that ravaged so much of the area. You will need to be laying down however to see them. They seem to be 90 degrees off. Sigh! Pobody is Nerfect, I guess.

Less than,
Larry 

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:04 AM, Thom Riddle <riddletr(at)gmail.com (riddletr(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Thom Riddle" <riddletr(at)gmail.com (riddletr(at)gmail.com)>

..overflow relief tube...

Larry,
I believe the HKS have a dry sump tank like the Rotax 912 series. If so, are you speaking of the oil tank vent tube?  I believe that functions similarly for a dry sump engine as the crankcase vent does for wet sump engines, which could definitely be the cause of low oil pressure if clogged.

We don't have any scorpions in this part of the country.... I'm not complaining Smile.

--------
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)
Kolb Slingshot SS-021
Jabiru 2200A #1574
Tennessee Prop 64x32

Truth is what stands the test of experience.
- Albert Einstein

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=379560#379560

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: