Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

Some time ago I had a bad day and made a hard landing with my RV-6. In
attempting a three-pointer I stalled a bit high above the concrete
runway. The aircraft fell on the runway, albeit without any apparent
damage. Since then I have not flown as I have been undertaking
modifications.

I wonder whether it is safe to take to the air. What unseen damages
could have occurred? How can I check them? What could the consequences
be (if any)? What may fail first, the wheel struts, the main spar or what?

Thanks.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

On 11/04/2012 02:44 PM, George Nielsen wrote:
Quote:

Some time ago I had a bad day and made a hard landing with my RV-6. In
attempting a three-pointer I stalled a bit high above the concrete
runway. The aircraft fell on the runway, albeit without any apparent
damage. Since then I have not flown as I have been undertaking
modifications.

I wonder whether it is safe to take to the air. What unseen damages
could have occurred? How can I check them? What could the consequences
be (if any)? What may fail first, the wheel struts, the main spar or
what?

Thanks.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
Hi George,

I feel your pain; same thing happened to me this spring in my -4,
returning to the runway after a partial engine failure.

Common issues on the -4 (& almost certainly the -6; same mount concept)
is cracks in the welds on the lower motor mount at the firewall, where
the gear sockets are welded into the mount. You can bend the gear legs,
but if they aren't bent really badly, they can often be straightened in
a 20-40 ton press. I suppose you could bend the tail wheel spring or
damage the mount structure in the fuselage, too.

If you remove the leg fairings & check that the legs are still straight
(with no weight on them, obviously), and you don't see any wrinkles in
the fuselage skin in the firewall area or around the tail wheel mount,
you're probably OK.

Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

norse(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

Get the plane inspected and stop speculating.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2012, at 12:44 PM, George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org> wrote:

Quote:

Some time ago I had a bad day and made a hard landing with my RV-6. In attempting a three-pointer I stalled a bit high above the concrete runway. The aircraft fell on the runway, albeit without any apparent damage. Since then I have not flown as I have been undertaking modifications.

I wonder whether it is safe to take to the air. What unseen damages could have occurred? How can I check them? What could the consequences be (if any)? What may fail first, the wheel struts, the main spar or what?

Thanks.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN

raybot(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

Yes let a pro look and give you reassurance and some advise on what to look
for and how. Its all about learning with airplanes,oh and money of course
---

n146wb(at)cfu.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

George,

I've made a lot of bouncy landings in my -6, along with a few fairly hard
landings, with no damage to anything but my ego. I always carefully check
the landing gear and engine mount gear socket area for cracks, etc. during
annual. So far I've found no damage or cracks. Since it's hard to judge
just how bad your landing was, I agree with the other comments that you
should inspect it. A couple of hours of inspection would make you feel much
more comfortable.

Warren

dan.pat.b(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

GeorgeFrom what i'm reading you're getting some good advice - spend a few hours - go over the plane carefully - inspect the obvious stuff especially carefully - landing gear legs - landing gear attach/mounting structures - the structures to which the landing gear mounting sockets are attached - look for cracks - buckled metal - bends where there shouldn't be bends - bent longerons - popped rivets - if you don't find a thing and you're still nervous about it - ask an a&p to look it over - might cost you a few $ but your peace of mind would be worth it - good luck - hope you're back in the air soon 
Cheers, 
Dan Bergeron
RV-7A - N307TB
366 hours since first flight
     on 8/6/09

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Warren Brecheisen <n146wb(at)cfu.net (n146wb(at)cfu.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV6-List message posted by: "Warren Brecheisen" <n146wb(at)cfu.net (n146wb(at)cfu.net)>

George,

I've made a lot of bouncy landings in my -6, along with a few fairly hard
landings, with no damage to anything but my ego.  I always carefully check
the landing gear and engine mount gear socket area for cracks, etc. during
annual.  So far I've found no damage or cracks.  Since it's hard to judge
just how bad your landing was, I agree with the other comments that you
should inspect it.  A couple of hours of inspection would make you feel much
more comfortable.

Warren

===========
="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
ooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
et="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
le, List Admin.
===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========

[b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Hard Landing Reply with quote

George:

A friend of mine with an RV6 had a similar situation.  It took a year or two to show up but the problem did dhow up and he was many states away from home.  His Left Gear totally collapsed.  The brake was right at the web welding where the gear attached to the engine mount. After inspecting the area it was determined that the engine mount/gear weld should have been reinforced with webbing.  I have posted this a couple of time on different groups but have not heard of anyone making the simple mod.

Things to consider:
1 - The gear is very flexible
2 - It is a Whitman Tail Wind Gear and they are know to be very flexible. On the Tailwind there is a mod of adding a shock absorbor. This would work on an RV but would be totally ugly and draggy.
3 - The gear does not fail - It is the Mounting tube to the engine mount that fails.
4 - There have been quite a few mods to the gear itself to make them stiffer - Fiberglass  Wood, a combo of fiberglass & wood.

From my welding, metallurgical experience as a QA Engineer  and a Test Engineer this would be the easiest and most favorable solution.   After the welding it would also help to stiffen the gear a bit.

Barry

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM, George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV6-List message posted by: George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)>

Some time ago I had a bad day and made a hard landing with my RV-6. In attempting a three-pointer I stalled a bit high above the concrete runway. The aircraft fell on the runway, albeit without any apparent damage. Since then I have not flown as I have been undertaking modifications.

I wonder whether it is safe to take to the air. What unseen damages could have occurred? How can I check them? What could the consequences be (if any)? What may fail first, the wheel struts, the main spar or what?

Thanks.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: