Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christoph.both(at)acadiau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation Reply with quote

Hello Europa builders:
I am about to drill holes into the stainless steel CLASSIC exhaust headers to mount the EGT probes. Rotax912S manual says to locate the EGT probes 70mm or 2.75 inches from the exhaust port. Both back exhaust pointing stacks end up drilling the thicker, double side flange if I take this measurement. Is this OK? Front exhaust measures 70mm (2.75 inch) on the not- welded part. Is this OK or have CLASSIC engine installations chosen a different distance.

I have a GRT EIS Model 4000 for Rotax 912. It came with a number of probes but no description of probes and where to mount them. EGT was no issue (see above). However, there is a set of what I assume CHT probes, one terminating at one end with a large ring terminal (3/8 inch) and one with a very small ring terminal (1/8 inch). What are they for and where do I mont those? Rotax installation manual specifies that 2 probes are to be connected to the hot water location locations provided but then on one page describe tapping a M-5 (5mm) thread to "install" a probe measuring the CHT directly at the cylinder cooling fins as described.

I would appreciate some quick clarification for those who have installed this combination. Pictures appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Christoph Both
#223 CLASSIC Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Troy Maynor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
I will reply as I have a classic install but admit I won't be much help. I used an engine monitor that went out of business, called Audio Flight Avionics. It came with two threaded (5mm?) CHT probes that screwed into two holes already tapped on the front left and right rear cylinders. I am 40 miles from my hanger so I can't go out and look or take any measurements very soon. The 3/8" ring terminal you mention is meant to go under on of the spark plugs on the same cyclinder most likely. Don't understand the 1/8" one though. I'd call Grand Rapids for guidance unless someone here knows.
I remember having to move the EGT probes slightly away from the heads very slightly,(again can't measure today) in order to get away from the thick area of the exhaust pipe. With that, coincidentally, I was about to broach the subject of EGT here in a few days when I have gathered some data on my plane. It seems two of my cylinders are hotter than they should be, but thats off the point for now. Hope you can get the answers you want.
Troy Maynor

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Chris,
Please check the grtavionics.com website for installation notes and the updated manual . I've attached Rev K. We are a sales point for GRT and install them frequently.
EGT s normally are two inches from the outlet of the head, but that is in the crux of the bend.
2.75 is not that bad. Anything beyond that like out to a max of 8 inches decreases accuracy but is still great for trends. Normally only the two rear cylinders are needed on a 912/914 engine. Place the EGT probes on a fairly straight section and drill the hole so as to keep the probe from rubbing on anything. Pay attention to the foot well and oil tank and plan accordingly.

GRT avionics has the larger CHT ring terminals which go on the Rotax CHT probes. You unscrew the probes and put the CHT supplied rings on there and they are an exact fit. I believe for the Rotax it is a 12mm..

There is an option for those who desire a bolt on probe to the cylinder fins. This is normally not provided and I am surprised you received one...

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations.

[quote] ---

User_Manual_Rev_K_with_figures.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  User_Manual_Rev_K_with_figures.pdf
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Downloaded:  336 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: