Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blown out Wheel pant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strasnuts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

Thought I would share my wheel pant blow out story. I originally cut my pants about 5/8 " around the tires. I flew 300 hours before exchanging the factory mains with desser re-treads. I was dumb not to open the holes up on the pants. Visually the dessers look more square than the originals. I figured the clearance was fine when I quickly looked them over. I landed heavy in Tucson and smelled rubber. I thought it was from the md-90 that landed in front if me. Later I found out the wheel bulged enough on a soft landing and grabbed both sides of the rear pant. I was able to pull the ripped sides back down and tear them away so I could fly home. I had to rebuild the bottom and repaint. Of course I opened both sides to 1" all around the tire. Just thought I would share to hopefully save someone time rebuilding their pants.

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

SuperSTOL 60 hours
rv10flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

What was your tire pressure reading when you removed the pants? I need to recheck my pressures. I usually run 10 psi higher than Van's numbers, making it easier to move solo.

I have the same tires in stock, so thanks for the reminder. Any changes in out of round or shimmy going to Desser?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

I keep 50psi on the mains. I also made wood stiffeners for mine. Dessers felt smoother than the originals and I've heard they last a lot longer. I have no shimmy but that's from the stiffeners.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2013, at 19:38, "rv10flyer" <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

What was your tire pressure reading when you removed the pants? I need to recheck my pressures. I usually run 10 psi higher than Van's numbers, making it easier to move solo.

I have the same tires in stock, so thanks for the reminder. Any changes in out of round or shimmy going to Desser?

--------
Wayne G.
SB 12/01/2009-12/01/2011
TT= 97.6

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=394026#394026

SuperSTOL 60 hours
bill.peyton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

Sean,
You don't happen to have a photo of your stiffeners do you?
Bill

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

I've had a lot of requests to take a picture next time my pants are off Wink
No seriously I'll get one next time.

---

SuperSTOL 60 hours
nukeflyboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blown out Wheel pant Reply with quote

Sean,

You are not alone. The same thing happened to me. The clearance on one side was too small, about finger thickness, and the tire grabbed it. This can happen without much notice either - I found it on a preflight. Don McDonald had cautioned me about the minimal clearance and I filed it away for a future fix. I was getting ready for my first flight and didn't want anything else in the way at the moment. Then I forgot about it. Bit me around 70 hours.

I keep my mains at 42 pounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: