Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

internet sales taxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincefrazier(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: internet sales taxes Reply with quote

Most guys on this list are probably planning to buy, or already have bought a lot of stuff from various online retailers like Aircraft Spruce, or maybe even from us, Flyboy Accessories.  The feds and the states want to enact new sales taxes on internet sales.  If this happens, it will drive many small companies, like Flyboy Accessories, right out of business.  There is NO way that we'd be able to handle the additional work required to track sales taxes for 49 other states (including those who don't currently have a sales tax... we'd still have to track it!).

Currently, the buyer (you) are responsible to remit sales taxes to your state on anything you buy from out of state.  I know that compliance to this regulation is sometimes slim, but that is no reason to shift the liability to the innocent merchant!

How does an internet sales tax affect you?  Well, if you live in a state where there is no sales tax, your choices of where to buy will decrease and prices will go up.  If you live in any of the other states where there is a sales tax, your choices of where to buy will decrease and prices will go up.... AND if you're building an airplane, you're gonna have to prove to your Department of Revenue which items on your plane have already had the tax paid and which haven't.

I recently contact the Indiana DoR and asked how they'd handle this.  They said that they had no mechanism to handle it.  So, basically until the states catch up with the new tax code (which they probably won't do for a small niche like aviation) then there's a very good chance that you'll pay double sales taxes on many of your purchases!  In other words, when you register your plane and the state says "Where's my sales tax money?" you'll have to either jump through hoops to convince them that you've already paid, or you'll simply pay the taxes again!

This discussion could devolve into a big anti-government thread.  Please refrain from that.  We all agree that the government is far too big and out of control.  On the new sales tax topic, please direct your energies toward contacting your federal and state representatives and senators... particularly the FEDERAL ones!  I have attached a sample letter to them below my signature. 

Again, I'd strongly encourage you to make time today to contact your two U.S. senators and your U.S. congressman and pass the message below, or a similar message, to them either by phone, email, or snail mail.  Emailing them is easily done through their contact form online.  You won't find a bona fide email address and must use the contact form on their website for most federal officials.
Thanks,

Vince Frazier
Flyboy Accessories
3963 Caborn Road North
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
1-888-8FLYBOY
1-888-835-9269
www.flyboyaccessories.com

As a small business customer, I can tell you that the surefire way to kill a small business is to add new onerous regulations to the already overwhelming burden that the government has already saddled them with.

There has been much talk about adding internet sales taxes to "level" the playing field.  This is baloney.  The field is already heavily tilted toward large businesses like Walmart.  Adding new internet sales taxes is a MONEY GRAB and will KILL SMALL BUSINESS INNOVATION.  

Is that what you really want?  I doubt it.

1. Vote No against adding Internet Sales Taxes to the Budget Resolution.
2. Don't be fooled, real people don't want new tax burdens of any kind on the Internet.
3. New taxes on the Internet will hurt consumers, small businesses, jobs and growth.
4. No small business should ever be able to be sued by another state where they have no connection or right to vote and be dragged into that states’ courts.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
smokyray(at)rocketmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: internet sales taxes Reply with quote

Vince, as a small businessman I couldn't agree more. All representatives have email addresses and websites, the power of the pen notwithstanding!

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.Thomas Jefferson

V/R
Smokey

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Vince Frazier <vincefrazier(at)gmail.com (vincefrazier(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Most guys on this list are probably planning to buy, or already have bought a lot of stuff from various online retailers like Aircraft Spruce, or maybe even from us, Flyboy Accessories. The feds and the states want to enact new sales taxes on internet sales.  If this happens, it will drive many small companies, like Flyboy Accessories, right out of business. There is NO way that we'd be able to handle the additional work required to track sales taxes for 49 other states (including those who don't currently have a sales tax... we'd still have to track it!).

Currently, the buyer (you) are responsible to remit sales taxes to your state on anything you buy from out of state. I know that compliance to this regulation is sometimes slim, but that is no reason to shift the liability to the innocent merchant!

How does an internet sales tax affect you? Well, if you live in a state where there is no sales tax, your choices of where to buy will decrease and prices will go up. If you live in any of the other states where there is a sales tax, your choices of where to buy will decrease and prices will go up.... AND if you're building an airplane, you're gonna have to prove to your Department of Revenue which items on your plane have already had the tax paid and which haven't.

I recently contact the Indiana DoR and asked how they'd handle this.  They said that they had no mechanism to handle it. So, basically until the states catch up with the new tax code (which they probably won't do for a small niche like aviation) then there's a very good chance that you'll pay double sales taxes on many of your purchases! In other words, when you register your plane and the state says "Where's my sales tax money?" you'll have to either jump through hoops to convince them that you've already paid, or you'll simply pay the taxes again!

This discussion could devolve into a big anti-government thread. Please refrain from that. We all agree that the government is far too big and out of control. On the new sales tax topic, please direct your energies toward contacting your federal and state representatives and senators... particularly the FEDERAL ones! I have attached a sample letter to them below my signature.

Again, I'd strongly encourage you to make time today to contact your two U.S. senators and your U.S. congressman and pass the message below, or a similar message, to them either by phone, email, or snail mail. Emailing them is easily done through their contact form online. You won't find a bona fide email address and must use the contact form on their website for most federal officials.
Thanks,

Vince Frazier
Flyboy Accessories
3963 Caborn Road North
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
1-888-8FLYBOY
1-888-835-9269
www.flyboyaccessories.com

As a small business customer, I can tell you that the surefire way to kill a small business is to add new onerous regulations to the already overwhelming burden that the government has already saddled them with.

There has been much talk about adding internet sales taxes to "level" the playing field. This is baloney. The field is already heavily tilted toward large businesses like Walmart. Adding new internet sales taxes is a MONEY GRAB and will KILL SMALL BUSINESS INNOVATION.

Is that what you really want? I doubt it.

1. Vote No against adding Internet Sales Taxes to the Budget Resolution.
2. Don't be fooled, real people don't want new tax burdens of any kind on the Internet.
3. New taxes on the Internet will hurt consumers, small businesses, jobs and growth.
4. No small business should ever be able to be sued by another state where they have no connection or right to vote and be dragged into that states’ courts.

Quote:

===================================
tp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: