Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel vent lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graybeard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: fuel vent lines Reply with quote

Seems to me the fuel vent line design leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to installation and maintenance. In researching problems/solutions with these, I came across references to the coiled lines used on the F1 Rocket and (I believe) the RV10. They seem to work fine and I am leaning that direction, but I do not have as much info as I feel I need to be comfortable incorporating this mod. Since I am doing a QB, my plan would be to run a short L-shaped tube between each existing belly vent line hole pair and bulkhead fitting (using what is already there) and coupling up the the coil to that fitting. It would then be easy to remove the short lines inside the gear towers to avoid possible inadvertent damage which could occur when retorquing the landing gear bolts or any other maintenance/servicing inside the towers. The only fab concern I have will be to make sure the new vent line routing will not interfere with the brake lines, but I see that as a minor issue easily dealt with.

Guess I’m looking for a confidence builder here. Any and all feedback gratefully received. Photos if possible.

Stan Loer
RV-8 (Very slow) QB
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: fuel vent lines Reply with quote

My humble suggestion would be to do it as designed. I am not aware of any glaring issues with the standard installation over the many thousands of RV’s flying with the vent lines installed that way, nor in any of them I’ve built/own/flown in the past number of decades.  As soon as you start changing things for no good reason, you become a test pilot, test engineer, and also could create other unforeseen consequences. There are people who’ve done it differently and changed fuel systems, but none can point to any conclusive benefit nor reasoning for doing so, other than their desire to do so (or someone’s idea of what “might” be better).  The fact is that the standard Van’s way of doing things usually ends up being the best.  No reason to create a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, nor to expend much energy and time researching said solution to the problem that doesn’t exist when that time could be best spent working on the plane.  My opinion for confidence building is to follow the plans and “git ‘er done”! J

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of stazel(at)cpros.com
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:23 PM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: fuel vent lines

Seems to me the fuel vent line design leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to installation and maintenance. In researching problems/solutions with these, I came across references to the coiled lines used on the F1 Rocket and (I believe) the RV10. They seem to work fine and I am leaning that direction, but I do not have as much info as I feel I need to be comfortable incorporating this mod. Since I am doing a QB, my plan would be to run a short L-shaped tube between each existing belly vent line hole pair and bulkhead fitting (using what is already there) and coupling up the the coil to that fitting. It would then be easy to remove the short lines inside the gear towers to avoid possible inadvertent damage which could occur when retorquing the landing gear bolts or any other maintenance/servicing inside the towers. The only fab concern I have will be to make sure the new vent line routing will not interfere with the brake lines, but I see that as a minor issue easily dealt with.

Guess I’m looking for a confidence builder here. Any and all feedback gratefully received. Photos if possible.

Stan Loer

RV-8 (Very slow) QB
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cdmiller131(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: fuel vent lines Reply with quote

I have built two RV-8's and followed the plans with regard to fuel vent lines. My RV-8 has 1250 hours without any problems with fuel vent lines. The second RV-8 has 200+ hours with no problems. I would follow Van's plans and not worry about it.
Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 13, 2013, at 2:25 PM, stazel(at)cpros.com (stazel(at)cpros.com) wrote:
[quote] Seems to me the fuel vent line design leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to installation and maintenance. In researching problems/solutions with these, I came across references to the coiled lines used on the F1 Rocket and (I believe) the RV10. They seem to work fine and I am leaning that direction, but I do not have as much info as I feel I need to be comfortable incorporating this mod. Since I am doing a QB, my plan would be to run a short L-shaped tube between each existing belly vent line hole pair and bulkhead fitting (using what is already there) and coupling up the the coil to that fitting. It would then be easy to remove the short lines inside the gear towers to avoid possible inadvertent damage which could occur when retorquing the landing gear bolts or any other maintenance/servicing inside the towers. The only fab concern I have will be to make sure the new vent line routing will not interfere with the brake lines, but I see that as a minor issue easily dealt with.

Stan Loer
RV-8 (Very slow) QB
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: