Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
first_flights(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details Reply with quote

First, thanks for the responses.

Let me supply some more details.

I have the canopy roll bar installed and the rear top fuselage skin has been trimmed to best of my understanding (i.e. the plans showed it trimmed several different ways. But, this does not seem to be critical).

My biggest source of confusion is whether the canopy frame changes shape after the canopy is attached and if so, where and how much?

The path to adjusting the canopy frame to fit seems to be the following:
1.) First adjust the width at the front and rear
2.) Adjust the profile at the front and read if needed
3.) Finalize the width at the front and rear
4.) Adjust the height in the front by adjusting how far up in the canopy frame the rollers fit
5.) Adjust the height in the rear by adjusting the position of the canopy track

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, Indiana

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
HCRV6(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details Reply with quote

You pretty much have it correct. No sure what you mean by the "profile" but after all the width and height adjustments have been made you will find that you have to use various thickness shims between the canopy plex and the front canopy tube and between the windshield and the roll bar to get alignment where they meet. Some of us have then filled in the gaps between the plexi and the tubes with flox but that is not necessary. Do not force the plexi into alignment or you will guarantee cracks.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 slider,  N16CX
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:31:51 PM
Subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details

I have the canopy roll bar installed and the rear top fuselage skin has been trimmed to best of my understanding (i.e. the plans showed it trimmed several different ways. But, this does not seem to be critical).

My biggest source of confusion is whether the canopy frame changes shape after the canopy is attached and if so, where and how much?

4.) Adjust the height in the front by adjusting how far up in the canopy frame the rollers fit

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, Indiana

[quote]

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details Reply with quote

And then as soon as you attach the plastic to it, it all changes. I attached my plastic to the frame as per vans instructions on my -6A and as I was riveting and otherwise anchoring the plastic the frame, it has a tendency to want to pull the frame out again. On mine as I was clecoing the plastic to the frame I was ablt to compensate for the change by massaging the canopy bow slightly tighter in the overall curve to compensate for it and my canopy works fine. Another project that I was helping with (it was a -9A, but otherwise the same thing), the gentleman used adhesives to anchor his glass to his frame. I think that it is more work but I was very pleased with the results and I think that the assembly is a little more forgiving and doesn’t change the shape of the frame near as much as it did on mine. I guess that I should qualify that statement. When I attached the plastic to the frame on mine , it (the frame) probably grew about a ½”, which was not the case using adhesives. Having said all of that when you start doing it, it will all come together and it will work great and look really appealing also. Good luck with your project.

bob

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brett Herrick
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:32 PM
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

Brett

Columbus, Indiana

Quote:
==============[/b][/quote] V6-List Email Forum -[/b][/quote] >[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] /o:p>[/b][/quote] tor?RV6-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] tp://forums.matronics.com[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -[/b][/quote] e> bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.[/b][/quote] bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/quote] ==============[/b] [b]

n146wb(at)cfu.net

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sliding Canopy Frame Question - More Details Reply with quote

Brett,
After I had the canopy frame fitting the fuselage the way I wanted I drilled the canopy itself to the frame only to find out that it distorted the frame. The canopy spread out the lower rails on the frame. I corrected it by reshaping the the bottom edges in a homemade oven. One has to be extremely careful with the temperature or you can ruin the plexi.
Warren

On May 18, 2013, at 9:31 PM, Brett Herrick <first_flights(at)yahoo.com (first_flights(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote]First, thanks for the responses.

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, Indiana

Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: