Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: 777,747 Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
After informing my son about my Glasair2S losing radios while trying to navigate TWX's last week end and generating "white noise" sounding like squelch breaking he reported that I may be building up static electricity. When he said the prop can be a static electricity generator I didn't remember this problem occurring until after I installed my new blended foil prop. Right after I installed the prop I met with the engineer that designed it when he worked for Hartzell and him informing me that the prop generates sonic rotors near the tips. My son said that it is common for 777's and 747's to have those aircraft loose radio communications up to and hour when in the vicinity of thunderstorms. He added that those planes begin to glow and sheets of Saint Elmo's fire will shoot over the wind screen. I had the happen to me in my Pitts years ago when I decided to enter the back end of a cell and I watched Saint Elmos Fire peal off the prop and pass over the canopy. Between Saint Elomo's fire and wondering whether the engine of the wings were going to rip off, I quickly exited that small cell! When I reported to my son that "after I reinstalled the radios they worked again" he said that is very common for the planes he fly's. Up until about a year ago I was waxing the plane with an anti static wax sold to the military and when I could no longer get the wax I began using Turtle wax. I know the fiberglass builds up static because I have received a few good jolts using a dry cloth while dusting it off. And the plane is painted Diamond White that has flecks of mica in it. When Ken Johnson went on that round the globe race in his Glasair 111 he had a long trailing antenna that built up so much static electricity his head sets would send high voltage jolts to his ears forcing him to disconnect and abandon the antenna!!

Charles Raymond Glasair 2S
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: