Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADAHRS attaching hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graybeard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: ADAHRS attaching hardware Reply with quote

Dynon, and I am sure all other manufacturers, specify non-magnetic attach hardware. I am thinking AN3C bolts with MS 21044 locknuts, but not sure if these are truly non-magnetic. Some stainless is not. Brass may be a better choice, but I do not see much brass hardware in my catalogs, especially nuts. Am curious as to what other builders have used for these installations.

Stan Loer
RV-8 QB
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: ADAHRS attaching hardware Reply with quote

#6 stainless steel hardware from the Lowes aviation department. Use a magnet to make sure they are not magnetic.

Carl

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of stazel(at)cpros.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:09 PM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: ADAHRS attaching hardware

Dynon, and I am sure all other manufacturers, specify non-magnetic attach hardware. I am thinking AN3C bolts with MS 21044 locknuts, but not sure if these are truly non-magnetic. Some stainless is not. Brass may be a better choice, but I do not see much brass hardware in my catalogs, especially nuts. Am curious as to what other builders have used for these installations.

Stan Loer

RV-8 QB
Quote:
[/b]
http://forums.matronics.com[/url] - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;   --> http://www.matronics.com/c=[/b] [/quote]
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jim Combs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: ADAHRS attaching hardware Reply with quote

Loses aviation dept has brass hrdware. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2013, at 1:09 PM, <stazel(at)cpros.com (stazel(at)cpros.com)> wrote:

[quote] Dynon, and I am sure all other manufacturers, specify non-magnetic attach hardware. I am thinking AN3C bolts with MS 21044 locknuts, but not sure if these are truly non-magnetic. Some stainless is not. Brass may be a better choice, but I do not see much brass hardware in my catalogs, especially nuts. Am curious as to what other builders have used for these installations.

Stan Loer
RV-8 QB
Quote:

[b]

vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: ADAHRS attaching hardware Reply with quote

Finding  a ‘magnetically’ suitable location in an RV8 is quite a challenge. I first tried the usual recommendations (Tail, floor, etc.) which appeared OK until you moved the controls. Then Whoaaaaa! Thing to remember is you need to keep compass away from moving magnetic materials (canopy, control column, Roll bars, Screws, pedal linkage,  etc.).  Using my standard compass as a field test device, I finally settled on mounting my Dynon D-10A  behind the panel and mounted to the back of my AVMAP gizmo plastic mount using fabricated aluminum brackets and nylon screws and washers (1/4” I think) available most anywhere for isolation.  It is several inches from the wiring harness, radio and transponder (and cables). Good luck getting a foot. Apparently I chose wisely as I have not noticed any Heading Indicator (Dynon D-180) jumps or lags.

A children’s toy compass will give you a good indication of location suitability. Place in test spot, then move everything that moves in flight. Turn on/off electronics, etc. Frankly I was amazed at how susceptible to most everything the compass (Magnetic Sensing Units) is. As a result, I am most thankful for GPS. I have the standard compass as well (FAA requirement), but would use my cell phone GPS (AVARE for the android) before I would that. Has a pretty red light though…

Have picture will post…if you are interested.

VinceHimsl
RV8 100 hrs
“I really need to finish the wheel pants”

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Combs
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:53 PM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: ADAHRS attaching hardware

Loses aviation dept has brass hrdware. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 17, 2013, at 1:09 PM, <stazel(at)cpros.com (stazel(at)cpros.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Stan Loer

RV-8 QB
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: