Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Greetings team,

As I read through the various theories of why the pin holes elongate I'm left with a question that nobody seems to be asking (or maybe somebody did ask and I missed it).

This is a little out of my area of expertise, but it seems rational to me that either a mono or a conventional gear Europa, i.e., one with a tailwheel, would transfer significantly more stress loads to the components in the rear of the aircraft, thus leading to more wear on everything back there. By contrast, the trigear would dampen those stress loads by virtue of the main gear being a considerable distance from the parts in question, thus damping any forces transferred to the tail area. Stresses transferred by a trigear would further be damped by the spring action of the main gear legs and the tires (tyres).

Has anyone ever correlated pin wear to landing gear type? Are there more mono's and conventional gear Europa's showing pin wear and or hole elongation than trigears?

In my case, N245E, a trigear, now has a bit over 100 hours TT. About 90% of the take offs and landings thus far have been made from my grass strip and my pip pins are still tight as a tick. I have observed no increased play in the tailplanes and only a slight amount of play in the trim tabs and that hasn't changed since day one. I've also looked closely at all the hardware in the tail and I cannot detect any wear on any components whatsoever. I know this is anecdotal at best, but it seams reasonable for those in the know to correlate pin wear to landing gear type as they chase down the root cause of the wear that caused the tailplane flutter.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Mark Burton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Quote:
the wear that caused the tailplane flutter

At this time, we don't know that any wear (if it was actually present) did cause the flutter. The AAIB/PFA may decide that the evidence shows that it did but they haven't, to my knowledge, announced that yet.

Please don't missunderstand me, I am all for improving the integrity of the Europa tailplane system but let's base the discussion on known facts rather than guesses.

Mark

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

RobNeils(at)qwest.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

N128HW, a tri-gear motorglider, is operated out of a grass strip (WN92, Spokane, Washington). The tailplane is tight across all parameters after 150 hours of engine time.
[quote] ---

rampil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

To take Mark's point a bit further, we do not even know at this point
that flutter was indeed involved in this mishap. All that is publically known
is that a worst case presumption of flutter was stated as a rationale to
ground the (UK) fleet.

I'd personally like to know if the physical evidence is strongly suggestive,
or simply possible of a link to flutter. Were there close by witnesses, were
the tailplanes 500 feet behind the rest of the airframe? Is a metallurgical
analysis of the torque tube being done?

The mention of flutter has brought a whole lot of comment, including
many suggestions to repair components which are not yet know to be
responsible.

It would certainly be nice if Andy, or someone from E04 could elucidate
the situation instead of having all of us wait in the dark for 12 months.

Ira

Brian Davies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Ira,

For clarification, the UK Europa fleet is not grounded. Only those aircraft
that have failed the PFA Flight Safety Bulletin are grounded until
rectification action is taken. We have indications that the AAIB will be
issueing a preliminary report within the next week.

We all want a lasting and efficient solution to whatever is judged to be the
fix for a yet unspecified problem. Regrettably, this always results in a
delay whilst investigations are carried out and modifications (if necessary)
are designed.

Brian Davies

--

rampil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the clarification.
It had been my understanding that all UK Europas were grounded until
offical inspection and that the majority of those aircraft inspected actually
failed inspection from the comments posted here.

Is there anything that can be made public about the nature of the evidence
for stabilator oscillation to destructive failure?
Regards,

Ira

Brian Davies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Nothing concrete yet, Ira.

We will just have to wait a few more days to hear what the AAIB have found.

Brian

--

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

John
you are probably right, or lucky, or both.
Graham

TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com wrote:
it seems rational to me that either a mono or a conventional gear
Europa, i.e., one with a
Quote:
tailwheel, would transfer significantly more stress loads to the
components in the rear of the aircraft, thus leading to more wear on
everything back there. By contrast, the trigear would dampen those
stress loads by virtue of the main gear being a considerable distance
from the parts in question, thus damping any forces transferred to the
tail area. Stresses transferred by a trigear would further be damped by
the spring action of the main gear legs and the tires (tyres).

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying

TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/26/2007 2:59:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, europa-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
At this time, we don't know that any wear (if it was actually present) did cause
the flutter. The AAIB/PFA may decide that the evidence shows that it did but
they haven't, to my knowledge, announced that yet.

Please don't missunderstand me, I am all for improving the integrity of the Europa
tailplane system but let's base the discussion on known facts rather than
guesses.

Mark,

I'm not guessing about anything here. The purpose of the question I posed was entirely aimed at obtaining facts about whether or not there anyone had noticed a correlation between torque tube wear and landing gear type, not to guess whether or not tailplane flutter caused the accident. It's the PFA that is all hot and bothered about associating pitch system wear and tailplane flutter, not me. It's the PFA that has issued documents that infer a link to sloppiness in the pitch system to tailplane flutter based on a single, isolated incident, and the notion (or guess if you will) that tailplane flutter is what caused the crash, not me. It's the PFA that seems to be the one that is doing the guessing here, not me. All I did was read the documents the PFA released regarding this incident and, based on their commentary, asked a legitimate question about whether anyone had noticed a correlation between landing gear type and torque tube wear. Although it seems like an obvious question to me, judging by the responses thus far, apparently no one has bothered to look for a correlation.

If Europa 04 keeps records on who they've sold Mod 62 kits to and what kind of landing gear the aircraft uses, it would be easy to see if the wear on the torque tube(s) is more prevalent in mono's, trigears or neither. Since the PFA seems to be suggesting (guessing) that wear in the pitch system possibly lead to tailplane flutter which resulted in the recent crash in the UK, it stands to reason that the PFA would want to isolate those aircraft where the wear is more likely to occur, if indeed wear is more prevalent in one type of landing gear as opposed to another and if sloppiness in the pitch system lead to tailplane flutter and if that flutter caused the crash. If indeed this is the case, the focus of any corrective action should be directed where it is most needed. What the PFA has done so far is the scatter-gun approach.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

carl(at)flyers.freeserve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

Hey guys, were on the same side - arent we?

The PFA are on our side too in case anyone thought otherwise! I agree they are doing a lot of guessing but at least its educated as opposed to the speculation that has been going on in this forum (and I include myself in that category).

Its understandable that we all want answers but taking exception at what someone has said is pointless and unecessary.

It would be better if we all shut up and waited till the AIIB publishes its findings but that aint going to happen - is it?
[quote] ---

willie.harrison(at)tinyon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Hole Enlongation vs. Landing Gear Type Reply with quote

John

It is a fair question, but we'd need to be careful in interpreting the answer - Monos tend to be older and more home-crafted than tris so you'd have to disentangle those factors from any possible direct link between slop and undercarriage configuration.

Incidentally, a senior bod at the PFA told one of our colleagues earlier this week that "We may never know the full story".  We may be stuck therefore with having to adopt the scatter gun approach to ensuring the integrity of our aircraft.

Willie Harrison
G-BZNY (passed all its FSB 006 checks today. Popham here we come...)

On 26 Jun 2007, at 15:31, TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com (TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] In a message dated 6/26/2007 2:59:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) writes:
Quote:
At this time, we don't know that any wear (if it was actually present) did cause
the flutter. The AAIB/PFA may decide that the evidence shows that it did but
they haven't, to my knowledge, announced that yet.

Please don't missunderstand me, I am all for improving the integrity of the Europa
tailplane system but let's base the discussion on known facts rather than
guesses.

Mark,

I'm not guessing about anything here. The purpose of the question I posed was entirely aimed at obtaining facts about whether or not there anyone had noticed a correlation between torque tube wear and landing gear type, not to guess whether or not tailplane flutter caused the accident. It's the PFA that is all hot and bothered about associating pitch system wear and tailplane flutter, not me. It's the PFA that has issued documents that infer a link to sloppiness in the pitch system to tailplane flutter based on a single, isolated incident, and the notion (or guess if you will) that tailplane flutter is what caused the crash, not me. It's the PFA that seems to be the one that is doing the guessing here, not me. All I did was read the documents the PFA released regarding this incident and, based on their commentary, asked a legitimate question about whether anyone had noticed a correlation between landing gear type and torque tube wear. Although it seems like an obvious question to me, judging by the responses thus far, apparently no one has bothered to look for a correlation.

If Europa 04 keeps records on who they've sold Mod 62 kits to and what kind of landing gear the aircraft uses, it would be easy to see if the wear on the torque tube(s) is more prevalent in mono's, trigears or neither. Since the PFA seems to be suggesting (guessing) that wear in the pitch system possibly lead to tailplane flutter which resulted in the recent crash in the UK, it stands to reason that the PFA would want to isolate those aircraft where the wear is more likely to occur, if indeed wear is more prevalent in one type of landing gear as opposed to another and if sloppiness in the pitch system lead to tailplane flutter and if that flutter caused the crash. If indeed this is the case, the focus of any corrective action should be directed where it is most needed. What the PFA has done so far is the scatter-gun approach.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: