Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ch-701 and Jabiru Engine Choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brothapig(at)HOTMAIL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Ch-701 and Jabiru Engine Choices Reply with quote

I'm thinking about engine choices for my 701 (for the future). I was always set on the 912S, because I might put floats on my plane some day. At AirVenture this year, however, I took a walk through the Jabiru tent and looked at their engines. I flat out told the sales guy to convince me to purchase a Jabiru over a Rotax, and he just might have.  I really like that little engine, and it's simplicity, and the fact it is very very similar in design to a Lycoming/Continental (speaking to my comfort zone only here).
However...

The 2200 is only 85 hp; 15 hp short of the 912S, which is what I wanted, but 5 hp more than the 912 (which has already proven itself in the 701 airframe already).

The 3300 is a much bigger engine, but still within weight specs, albeit very very close. It does exceed the hp limitation of 100 hp, but Jabiru, like Rotax, limits the 120 hp to "intermittent" only, (basically takeoff power), then drops back to 105 hp (much closer to the design spec). Also, at the lower hp, the Jabiru is spinning slower (read bigger prop).

Has anyone put a 3300 in a 701? Is it indeed too heavy, where any gains in hp over the 2200 will be lost?

To the 2200 flyers out there, are you happy with the 701's performance with a 2200? I'm curious about climb rate and cruise speed. I know the 701 is not a cross country machine, but I would like as much as I could get, if I ever fly anywhere in particular Smile
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Ch-701 and Jabiru Engine Choices Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone put a 3300 in a 701?

Here is a 3300 on Jim Sagerser's 701:
www.usjabiru.com/Zenith%20701%20fwf.htm

-- Craig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)ATT.NET

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Ch-701 and Jabiru Engine Choices Reply with quote

At 10:57 AM 7/31/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
It does exceed the hp limitation of 100 hp, but Jabiru, like Rotax,
limits the 120 hp to "intermittent" only, (basically takeoff power),
then drops back to 105 hp (much closer to the design spec).

You need to be careful about this kind of thinking. I believe the
potential problem from having too much horsepower is the chance that
your flight controls won't have sufficient authority to overcome the
torque when you perform a "Go-around". This can cause the plane to
flip over when low and slow and close to the ground - not the best
situation to find yourself in.

I strongly urge you to get designer approval if you plan to install
an engine larger than the maximum specified on your prints.

Paul
Xl fuselage

jetboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ch-701 and Jabiru Engine Choices Reply with quote

Its correct that looking outside the envelope needs to be done cautiously,
there are several 701 flying with the 3300.

I think the main issue would be cooling, as with my 701 / 2200 its OK but adding 50% more heat and increasing the climb angle may prove more troublesome.

The 3300 is only likely to deliver the same thrust as a 912S and I'm sure that won't present any problems, due to the small prop and direct drive. If the cost is the same, I would use the 912. For my aircraft, the 2200 worked out $8,000 or so less than a 912UL to install, and I wanted the simplicity more than the higher climb rate.

Ralph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: