Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Gascolator with auto fuel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

I bought the Aircraft Spruce ACS gascolator and the Mount for it. I'm fitting it to my firewall now. Looking in the catalogue I just noticed “NOT FOR USE WITH AUTO FUEL”. Surely they jest. The gasket is Buna N which has pretty good fuel resistance. How can it be okay for aviation fuel but not auto? Are we talking additives here? Alcohol, Gasohol, Fructose syrup and such? Comments appreciated. Thanks Guys……Geoff
Do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

Geoff,
I've had an ACS Gascolator feeding auto fuel 87-octane for 2 years now
and don't see any difficulty with it yet.
Unless they've changed the gasket/packing/o-ring material.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Geoff Heap wrote:
Quote:

I bought the Aircraft Spruce ACS gascolator and the Mount for it. I'm fitting it to my firewall now. Looking in the catalogue I just noticed “NOT FOR USE WITH AUTO FUEL”. Surely they jest. The gasket is Buna N which has pretty good fuel resistance. How can it be okay for aviation fuel but not auto? Are we talking additives here? Alcohol, Gasohol, Fructose syrup and such? Comments appreciated. Thanks Guys……Geoff
Do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

I figure that their testing was with AV Gas only and for liability reasons, they are putting AV Gas Only on the product.

Larry Husky
601XL / Corvair

See w target="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

beachyjeff(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

ACS sells replacement gaskets intended for use with auto fuel. Replacement gasket for auto fuel is p/n 06-00441.

[quote][b]

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

Thanks Guys............ I love this list.
Ok. Noboby came up with anything substantial in 24 hours so its going in.
I think its some kind of needless disclaimer. Thanks again....Geoff

lrm(at)skyhawg.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

No, I think there is more to it. They wouldn't say it just for the hell of
it, there is a reason. I bought the right gasket. Call AS and ask them, I
did, just don't remember the exact details. It is something to do with
auto gas being unleaded. I just don't remember the details. But, it better
to err on the safe side, especially for a couple of bucks. It's only your
life you are messing with. Larry
---

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

Thanks for the further info. I just checked the on line catalog and I see clearly, the auto fuel gasket listed. The 2005 catalog I have here at work looks similar. However, my newer catalog at home seems to read different. I'll have to re-check it. thanks for straightening me out...Geoff

reproduced from on line catalog

"All-metal gascolator with S.S. screen, 1-7/8" dia. cadmium plated steel bowl w/quick drain. Top is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Top casting has 1/4" pipe ports for 3/8" fuel line and one 1/8" pipe port for primer fitting. Wt: 8 oz. May be used with aviation and/ or auto fuel. Replacement gasket for auto fuel is p/n 06-00441."
do not archive

ashontz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Use of Gascolator with auto fuel? Reply with quote

If you have the right gasket that sounds good. Unlikely there's a problem but if they list one for auto fuel go with that.

Speaking of fuel, on my way home tonight I went down the White Horse Pike to go to the veterinarian to pick up some meds for the dog. Over in Hi-Nella someone had about a 250 gallon tank mounted on a trailer with a fuel pump on it for sale. I wonder if EAA 216 would be interested in purchasing it?

do not archive.

Geoff Heap wrote:
Thanks for the further info. I just checked the on line catalog and I see clearly, the auto fuel gasket listed. The 2005 catalog I have here at work looks similar. However, my newer catalog at home seems to read different. I'll have to re-check it. thanks for straightening me out...Geoff

reproduced from on line catalog

"All-metal gascolator with S.S. screen, 1-7/8" dia. cadmium plated steel bowl w/quick drain. Top is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Top casting has 1/4" pipe ports for 3/8" fuel line and one 1/8" pipe port for primer fitting. Wt: 8 oz. May be used with aviation and/ or auto fuel. Replacement gasket for auto fuel is p/n 06-00441."
do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: