Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drilling Zodiac Nose Ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfmoeller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Drilling Zodiac Nose Ribs Reply with quote

OK - quick question regarding mounting nose ribs to the spar on the Zodiac XL.

When preparing them for pilot drilling/cleco per assy manual chapter 6W7A, pages 10 and 11, the instructions call for placing a .025 strip under the lower spar cap angle to simulate the lower rear skin and a .025 strip on top of the upper spar cap angle to simulate the upper rear skin. I'm clear so far.

But at the top of page 11, it shows the upper strip in a different location which might make sense if 2 strips per top and 2 per bottom are used because the nose skin overlaps the upper rear skin (and the lower rear skin). This leads me to believe that to line up the nose rib properly, the overlapped skins should be simulated. I think that kind of makes sense.

So, is it just a single strip to be clamped on the top and bottom, or is at actually 2 strips on both top and bottom?

Someone that has been there a done that, please clue me in before I screw up my nose ribs. Or if this answer is simply too obvious, point me in the right direction.

Doug

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Drilling Zodiac Nose Ribs Reply with quote

Doug,

As you suggested, there is some confusion. I used two strips. One was fastened to the rear rib flange and stopped at the forward face of the spar flange, simulating the rear skin. The other one was clamped to the nose rib and overlapped the other strip, simulating the nose skin. I only used one strip on the bottom, because it is less critical and you can't easily stretch or shrink the rib to make both surfaces align perfectly anyway.

I think just as important an alignment issue is the "squareness" of the rib flanges. I found that on mine (kit supplied) the rib flanges were not square with the web of the rib. When I clamped the flanges to the spar, it bowed the rib flange. I had to adjust nearly all the ribs flanges because of this.

Jay in Dallas
"dfmoeller" <dfmoeller(at)austin.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

OK - quick question regarding mounting nose ribs to the spar on the Zodiac XL.

When preparing them for pilot drilling/cleco per assy manual chapter 6W7A, pages 10 and 11, the instructions call for placing a .025 strip under the lower spar cap angle to simulate the lower rear skin and a .025 strip on top of the upper spar cap angle to simulate the upper rear skin. I'm clear so far.

But at the top of page 11, it shows the upper strip in a different location which might make sense if 2 strips per top and 2 per bottom are used because the nose skin overlaps the upper rear skin (and the lower rear skin). This leads me to believe that to line up the nose rib properly, the overlapped skins should be simulated. I think that kind of makes sense.

So, is it just a single strip to be clamped on the top and bottom, or is at actually 2 strips on both top and bottom?

Someone that has been there a done that, please clue me in before I screw up my nose ribs. Or if this answer is simply too obvious, point me in the right direction.

Doug

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=133831#133831

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: