Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601XL Near Perfect Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davgray(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

I just finished a two hour flight of my local area, landing at small airports that would have been difficult with my previous aircraft.
Winds variable at 4 kts, Visibility 50 miles, Smooth air conditions. It was very satisfying when everything in my William Wynne Corvair powered 601XL was working perfectly.
My last tweak was to eliminate a very small vibration above 3000 rpm. I did not experience any vibration today. A few strategically placed washers inside my spinner did the trick so I will attach them permanently.
I am very happy with this machine.
Now showing 55.3 hours Total Time

Over the last year I have been chasing several small problems. So what did I learn if I was to do it again?

For me I would have been much better off ordering an engine from William Wynne and not listen to the local experts. My initial ignorance added to my build time and overall cost. Virtually all of the initial work had to be redone.
Thanks to William Wynne I ended up with a very good Corvair Conversion.

The Heintz Family is a pleasure to do business with. Nice design, good follow-up and building support.

I would not buy any used avionics. The ones I started with ended up weighing more, doing less, or costing more when I had to replace them plus the time to re-wire the replacement.

Keep it light, simple, documented and organized.

Now I plan on spending a lot more time in the air.
Keep building. The end result is worth it.

Gary Ray
Hanger E10 , (at) KPTK SE Michigan
davgray(at)sbcglobal.net (davgray(at)sbcglobal.net)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are in the air and enjoying your plane.

> A few strategically placed washers inside my spinner did the trick so I will attach them permanently.

How did you decide where to place the washers? I'm assuming you didn't have access to dynamic balancing equipment.

-- Craig

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

The following is how I understand it. Either I got lucky or I have it right.
On the inside of my spinner I found a witness mark that developed after the first 30 hours. The mark is a dark powdered area on the inner spinner near the bulkhead. This implies that some motion is occuring. This forms when the bulkhead is deviating away from the prop hub. I reasoned that the side 90 degrees after the mark must be heavy in order to cause the deflection. Gyroscopes react 90 degrees after the point where force is applied. Since the heavy side can not move into the prop hub there is no motion at that point. However the opposite side can experience a force away from the hub but the actual movement outward would occur 90 degrees later. As an example if you spin a bicycle tire in a forward rotation, then tip the top of the tire to the left, you will see that the front of the wheel also moves to the left (90 degrees later). In my case I reasoned that the action of the front of the wheel represents the point where I was seeing witness marks. So adding weight 90 degrees prior made sense. This line of reasoning was then confirmed on a static lawn mower balance. I added duct tape to the inside of the spinner with washers beneath as a trial and got an immediate improvement.
The witness marks are an indication of dynamic balance problems so as time goes on I will watch for any return of these marks.

[quote] ---

PatrickW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
For me I would have been much better off ordering an engine from William Wynne and not listen to the local experts. My initial ignorance added to my build time and overall cost. Virtually all of the initial work had to be redone.

If I may ask, what were some of the mistakes...?

I'm currently building a Corvair for the first time, so maybe I could learn something here.

Any advice or "gotchas" that can help us new guys out...?

Thanks,

Patrick
601XL/Corvair

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

Here are a few
Paid for a total rework of the original heads where new valve seats were
secured by staking instead of the interference fit of Falcon. Result was to
discard the heads and get a set from Falcon.
Cylinder Honing that I was assured would be done in a compression jig to
avoid out of round condition when the cylinders are compressed during normal
operation after torqueing the heads. Replaced these also.
Replaced Crank for Nitrided Crank. (original was done before it became
standard practice to use Nitrided only.)
Connecting Rods reworked to unacceptable standards at the bearing
surfaces.
Should have used the Marvel Schebler MA3-SPA that WW suggests as the
best choice. (would have saved 6 months of experimenting)
I am not engine savy enough to have reliably discovered items like this
before learning the hard way.

Once again I have to thank William Wynne for everything he has done.
Confidence in my engine is much higher knowing that it has been worked on by
William's team.

Gary Ray

---

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

Quote:
Should have used the Marvel Schebler MA3-SPA that WW suggests as the best
choice. (would have saved 6 months of experimenting)

What carb or carbs did you try before the Marvel?

-- Craig

PatrickW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 601XL Near Perfect Flight Reply with quote

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
Here are a few

Thanks for sharing.

I bet the overall project completion rate is increased considerably by the willingness of so many people on this list to share their experiences like this. It sure helps me (and probably a whole bunch of other guys who are thinking about the same things).

Which will lead to more of us posting our own stories of Near Perfect Flight in the future... Very Happy

Patrick
601XL/Corvair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: