Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Conversion Discussion.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Welcome Joe, to the land of the groundless law suit, otherwise known as the USA. BUT, I never said they would would be found liable for the use of one of their engines in a homebuilt.

There are vendors of parts out there that will not ship you their auto parts if they have reason to think you are putting them in an aircraft.
Joemotis(at)aol.com wrote:

Come out of your shell man.
On what farthest stretch of the imagination of liability do you think that GM or whomever could sue you for using a device in an situation of your own risk and peril?I.E. way the heck out of their published design parameters??
You had better not ever look at another fan belt because it might come off and smite you.
Jesus H. Farkin Christ.

Joe Motis
Do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

dougsnash(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

An example of this is when I went to the local Ski-Doo
dealer to by some recoil parts for my 503 Rotax
ultrlight engine. He said "These aren't going on an
aircraft, are they?" Wink Wink.

He explained that Ski-Doo forbade them to sell Ski-Doo
parts for ultralight aircraft engines. Makes no sense
to me but those are the rules.

Doug MacDonald
NW Ontario, Canada

--- Gig Giacona <wr.giacona(at)suddenlink.net> wrote:

Quote:

<wr.giacona(at)suddenlink.net>

Welcome Joe, to the land of the groundless law suit,
otherwise known as the USA. BUT, I never said they
would would be found liable for the use of one of
their engines in a homebuilt.

There are vendors of parts out there that will not
ship you their auto parts if they have reason to
think you are putting them in an aircraft.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

naumuk(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

At the rate I'm going, I might live to see one!!!
do not archive
Bill Naumuk
HDS Fuse/Corvair
Townville, Pa
---

n85ae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

This sounds like myth to me, I worked in auto parts all through high
school, and briefly after the military. I can say for sure, anybody I ever
met in the auto parts business would have said just one thing if they
thought something was going on a plane, and that would be - COOL!

Not only that, but auto parts people are for the most part very very
disconnected from aviation, I can't imagine anybody worrying about
being sued. It is possible you could find a couple who were possibly
worried about being sued, but they would indeed be the rare exception.

The only company I have ever come across that had any concern about
anything remotely close to this is Supertrapp who put a "Not for Aviation
Use" note on some of their muffler's.

I suppose you could conceivably, walk into the local auto parts and
verbalize your aviation intents, in just such a way that they might decide
to not sell the parts to you ... But after you leave they might be calling
911 as well ...

Jeff

Gig Giacona wrote:
Welcome Joe, to the land of the groundless law suit, otherwise known as the USA. BUT, I never said they would would be found liable for the use of one of their engines in a homebuilt.

There are vendors of parts out there that will not ship you their auto parts if they have reason to think you are putting them in an aircraft.

Come out of your shell man.
On what farthest stretch of the imagination of liability do you think that GM or whomever could sue you for using a device in an situation of your own risk and peril?I.E. way the heck out of their published design parameters??
You had better not ever look at another fan belt because it might come off and smite you.
Jesus H. Farkin Christ.

Joe Motis
Do not archive

purplemoon99(at)bellsouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

I've got a super trapp on my engine ,help's the with the tuning works
great... I developed and sold the frist cordless miter saw back in 1996,used
the DEWALT cordless skillsaw for power, improvrd it to do more thing's
better! took their name off of the motor asumed all responsibility for it
and all they did was rattle they're saber's and whine like a bitch, Oh! I
almost forgot,They (DEWALT) bought one on what they thought was the sly,to
look it over.The fact is, when you buy some thing it's yours to do with what
ever you chose, you can add to or take away from it what ever IT'S YOURS!...
They make good tools ,but the people that run the co. are a bunch of pencil
neck Tool Nazi's and think just because that they didn't think of it, it
should not be possible..Then there'n Harley Davison, we bought there
engine's developed a re-drive ,made it work in a airplane,but we couldn't
call our co." HOG-AIR"THEY owned the word" Hog" we didn't want to spend the
money fighting them so we let the pigs have the hog word back..Just a
WARNING don't us the word hog with anything like hog-wash,sweat hog
,hog -shit hog heaven, hog wild,hog trough,(the farmer's could be in real
trouble with that one) hog feed ,hog farmer, hog breath, hog -roast, ect
you must be careful the Hog- Patrol is out there! NOW are you ready for
this!! The man that designed,and built the Supper Trapp mufler, sold his
conpany for over 7 million dollars, did so ,so that he could further his
life goal of building a" Flying Car" that he's been working on for over 40
years.... How about those "Apples" DO NOT USE ON AIRECRAFT !, Mabye some one
should call 911!,but for who???? Joe
N101HD601XL/RAM (now you know what HD in N101HD stands for) We had
reserved the no . 102HD,103HD,104HD,105HD,but my UNCLE took them for "
Homeland Defense"
---

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

I can say for fact that Summit Racing supply will not sell me anything if I even mention " experimental aircraft". I have got that response from several of their order takers so it is a protocol they must stress on their employees. I called one day to order about 1000.00 bucks worth of MSD ignition stuff for my toy and they refused to sell it to me. I then called Jegs high performance and they not only were hip on the idea of an auto engine in a plane the guy actually went to my website while I was on the phone with him and he came back with a "GEEZ" that is KOOL..... Both vendors were within a few cents of each other on price and from then on Jegs got all my business, and still does.  Just my two cents worth...
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "n85ae" <n85ae(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "n85ae" <n85ae(at)yahoo.com>

worried  about being sued, but they would indeed be the rare exception.

911 as well ...

Jeff
Gig Giacona wrote:
Quote:

>
>  Come out of your shell man.
> On what farthest stretch of the imagination of liability do you think that GM or whomever could sue you for using a device in an situation of your own risk and peril?I.E. way the heck out of their published design parameters??
> You had better not ever look at another fan belt because it might come off and smite you.
> Jesus H. Farkin Christ.
>
> Joe Motis
> Do not archive
>

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/view================================================================================================bsp; - NEW MATRONICS WEB =========================================================
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Ben, in retrospect, that happend to us on the harley eng. The harley ignition would not work because we didn't have a speed-o or turn signals on our 601, so we had to find a new source The BIG well known manufacture in Daytona Beach couldn't sell us because, LEGAL DEPT. said no So we went to manu. in California, they said "great,"Cool , That will show how good we are . Our ignition in a airplane. How can we help ?" Scared money never won nothing"   Joe N101HD 601XL/RAM
[quote] ---

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

I feel that if anyone were not to sell you anything because "they" do not want to for whatever reason and then sell it to the next person who walks through the door is discrimination by the dictionary definition. Where would the line be? No sale of anything that could be used on your aircraft would start at about "alternator and go to at least z clips.

An experimental aircraft is just that.
Also, stamping not for aircraft use means absolutely nothing. It is similar to the people that want to see your receipt when you walk out the door at some Home Depots. I say "no thanks" because it is mine I paid for it and it is none of your damn business. Including looking at the receipt which is also my property. The burden of responsibility passed when the store took my money in exchange for the goods and the receipt.

If you buy a toaster and make toast while soaking in the tub, your electrocution ain't Proctor/ Silex's fault...

See what's new [quote][b]

dwilde(at)clearwire.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Orchards Supply has aircraft cable for sale by the foot. They also have
a sign that says "not for aircraft use".

Dan Wilde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

You are 100% correct......
[quote] ---

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Is it written in Chinese also , I only read Chinese.
A sign is a weak defense at best even in attractive nuisance situations involving children.
Does their sign also mean I cannot hang my 1/4 scale P 38 Lightning from the rafters because of their sign. It would clearly be for aircraft use. Or I was pulling my 152 out of a mud
hole and it snapped? Or I built a prop lock and someone stole the airplane and tried to fly with it on and crashed? Or I made tie downs and they broke in a windstorm.? When you buy a car is their a sign telling you not to run over people??
Joe Motis
Do not archive

See wh [quote][b]

shilcom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Is the Harley engine still offered on the 601 and what is the company called if you are still doing the conversions. Bob U.
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

You can talk to brett(at) skyRay .com , I think he's still selling engs and re -drive packages , not sure. I'am not part of it any more. Joe N101HD
[quote] ---

dougsnash(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Yes but bt be very careful with that one. There is
"Aircraft Cable" and then there is cable that meets a
Mil spec and is designed for use in an aircraft. BIG
difference in quality.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

--- Dan <dwilde(at)clearwire.net> wrote:

Quote:

<dwilde(at)clearwire.net>

Orchards Supply has aircraft cable for sale by the
foot. They also have
a sign that says "not for aircraft use".

Dan Wilde

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings, and more!

Mike Hoffman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Several years ago I tried to buy wheel bearings for my PA 28R200 from Detroit Ball Bearing Company and was refused. They told me they would not sell to the aviation community because of liability issues. I came back the next day and when they asked what they were for, I told them they were for a home made go cart and they sold them to me.

Trainnut01(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Joe

Problem is if you do run over someone the ensuing law suit will probably include you, the car manufacturer, the dealer that sold you the car, the salesman, the contractor that painted the crosswalk, the traffic light installer, ect,ect,ect.

My company was a co-defendant with Chrysler Corp and a local Jeep dealer a few years ago when a Wrangler on which I had installed an air conditioner was hit from behind at a traffic light. The argument was that with the air conditioner on the vehicle it would not accelerate as fast as it did before. DUH!

The court finally ruled the lawsuit was "without merit" mostly thanks to some heavyweight lawyers and
expert witnesses provided by Chrysler.

So see the system works. I got justice. Price for my defense $8,000.00. Initial profit on the air conditioner $187.00.

Chrysler lost money. Dealer lost money. I lost money. Plaintiff lost money.
Guess who made money:Chrysler's attorneys, Dealer's attorneys' My attorneys, Plaintiff's attorney.

In addition that dealer will no longer sell a new Wrangler with aftermarket air. They now include the air in the price of the vehicle and issue you a refund check for the air conditioner which just happens to be the exact amount that I charge to install the air. This takes them out of the loop they hope. Chrysler no longer sells aftermarket air conditions for their vehicles. The Chrysler air conditioner is still available from aftermarket suppliers (re-packagers) but the price has doubled.

Sorry seems my quick comment has turned into a rant about something that American's understand anyway. For our friends around the world who do not understand this lawsuit stupidity, I hope you never do! But if you would really would like to try we can look into exporting some attorneys for you.

Carroll

do not archive

See wh [quote][b]

n85ae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Ben,

When I call Summit Racing, I say - "Yes, I'd like to order part numbers
this, that and the other. My credit card number is ..." They ship me the
part. I have NEVER had them refuse anything, and everything I have
ever bought from them went into my plane.

Is it. possibly that you do it like this? ""Yes, I'd like to order part numbers
this, that and the other. My credit card number is ... OH, AND BY THE
IT IS TO BE USED IN AN EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT."

Because if you are, that might be the reason. Smile Anyway, how does it
come up, what it's for anyway??? You would almost have to go out of
your way to get the order taking folks to ask. Especially from Summit
because they have a set of cubicals with order takers, who answer a
bank of phones ...

Jeff
[quote="n801bh(at)netzero.com"]I can say for fact that Summit Racing supply will not sell me anything if I even mention " experimental aircraft". I have got that response from several of their order takers so it is a protocol they must stress on their employees. I called one day to order about 1000.00 bucks worth of MSD ignition stuff for my toy and they refused to sell it to me. I then called Jegs high performance and they not only were hip on the idea of an auto engine in a plane the guy actually went to my website while I was on the phone with him and he came back with a "GEEZ" that is KOOL..... Both vendors were within a few cents of each other on price and from then on Jegs got all my business, and still does.? Just my two cents worth...
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "n85ae" <n85ae> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "n85ae" <n85ae>

worried ?about being sued, but they would indeed be the rare exception.

911 as well ...

Jeff
Gig Giacona wrote:
Quote:

>
> ?Come out of your shell man.
> On what farthest stretch of the imagination of liability do you think that GM or whomever could sue you for using a device in an situation of your own risk and peril?I.E. way the heck out of their published design parameters??
> You had better not ever look at another fan belt because it might come off and smite you.
> Jesus H. Farkin Christ.
>
> Joe Motis
> Do not archive
>

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/view================================================================================================bsp; - NEW MATRONICS WEB =========================================================
Quote:
[b]

lrm(at)skyhawg.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

Just order what ever you want on-line. I've done it many times and yet have
had the computer ask if it's going on airplane. Just remember this, "Don't
ask a question you don't want answered."

Larry
---

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

See there's the problem. You are under the mistaken belief that discrimination is against the law in the USA. It isn't. Only certain types of discrimination are illegal and those are based on age, sex, race, religion, disability and national origin.

While many of our wives and friends might think our aircraft building activities rise to the level of religion and certainly rise to the level of disability the law, sadly does not.

I feel that if anyone were not to sell you anything because "they" do not want to for whatever reason and then sell it to the next person who walks through the door is discrimination by the dictionary definition. Where would the line be? No sale of anything that could be used on your aircraft would start at about "alternator and go to at least z clips.

Jeyoung65(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Auto Conversion Discussion. Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/12/2007 10:20:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wr.giacona(at)suddenlink.net writes:
Quote:
Only certain types of discrimination are illegal and those are based on age, sex, race, religion, disability and national origin.

This should be "USA laws REQUIRE discrimination based on age, sex, race, religion, disability and national origin" Jerry of GA

See what's new at AOL.com and

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: