Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splicing Tiny Wires...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

How are you guys splicing thin wires together...?

For example, where the 5 wires that come out of the aileron servo are spliced to another bundle of 5 wires.

I'm guessing that twisting them together, soldering, and then covering with heat-shrink tubing is the way to go.

Anybody doing anything different/better/easier...?

Thanks,

Patrick
XL/Corvair

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

I used small gauge crimp style insulated butt connectors from Radio Shack. They work fine if you have the right crimper for the job (also sold at Radio Shack).
On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:10 PM, PatrickW wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "PatrickW" <pwhoyt(at)yahoo.com (pwhoyt(at)yahoo.com)>
For example, where the 5 wires that come out of the aileron servo are spliced to another bundle of 5 wires.
I'm guessing that twisting them together, soldering, and then covering with heat-shrink tubing is the way to go.
Anybody doing anything different/better/easier...?

-- 
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

do not archive.
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

Same here. I have been using d-sub computer style connectors from Radio Shack. Get your magnifying glass out!

Good luck,

GLJSOJ1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

HI PATRICK

I ALSO USED CRIMPS TO SPLICE THOSE TINY WIRES. I USED THE RED WHICH I BELIEVE IS 22-18G WIRE, WHILE I THINK THESE WIRES ARE 24 G. I HAVE HAD SOME OF THESE RED TERMINALS ON THESE WIRES COME OFF, SO I AM RETHINKING THEM. ALSO RADIO SHACK SELLS A SMALLER YELLOW BUTT JOINT CONNECTOR FOR WIRES 26 TO 22 G. YOU CAN'T DISCONNECT THESE ONCE THEY ARE CRIMPED THOUGH.

GLENN

psm(at)ATT.NET

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

At 08:49 PM 10/12/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Same here. I have been using d-sub computer style connectors from
Radio Shack. Get your magnifying glass out!

I wonder how well miniature connectors like the D-sub work for 16 AWG
wires. They are usually used for 22 AWG and smaller wires.

I have been using automotive spade connectors crimped onto the Tefzel
aircraft wires. I like the ones that come with full plastic covers
and tend to tie them together with lacing tape.

Paul
XL Fuselage

mosquito56

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

I am curious about using Radio Shack in an airplane. While I am not suggesting the quality is bad, I have to question the quality of Radio Shack in general?
I highly recommend this page, I go alot of nice info and sites for electrical work.
http://mybearhawk.com/finish/electrical1.html, page 5 had the connectors your talking about.
Don
601xl fuse

Trainnut01(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

Patrick

That's how I did the servo wires on my previous project. In addition I covered the entire splice with another, larger piece of cheap (read stiff) heat shrink and made sure that section was well anchored. I sold the plane but it is flying regularly and the new owner has not reported any wiring problems. (And believe me he does report problems.)

Carroll

do not archive

See wh [quote][b]

dougsnash(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

Guys, all this talk of crimp connectors is making me a
little nervious. The best way to joun two wires
together is to solder them. Next step is to rinse the
flux off with water or rubbing alcohol. Then to
finish them up, apply heat shrink (preferably the
internally glued type). This is what the professional
avionics shops are supposed to do.

Yes, it might be overkill in some instances but it
will always work. No guessing if the crimp is going
to fail.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

--- Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)ATT.NET> wrote:

Quote:

<psm(at)att.net>

>Same here. I have been using d-sub computer style
connectors from
>Radio Shack. Get your magnifying glass out!

I wonder how well miniature connectors like the
D-sub work for 16 AWG
wires. They are usually used for 22 AWG and smaller
wires.

I have been using automotive spade connectors
crimped onto the Tefzel
aircraft wires. I like the ones that come with full
plastic covers

Paul
XL Fuselage

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

shilcom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

<<I'm guessing that twisting them together, soldering, and then covering with heat-shrink tubing is the way to go.>>

for the example you give, "non critical" i like the molex connectors. I'd probably use molex connectors or Terminal boards for any wiring you "might" have to remove. Other than those I like the "crimp style butt connectors" using the proper crimp tool (wide hammer and anvil type). This discussion went on and on ,,,on another list I believe, or maybe it was this list several months ago and it will NEVER be resolved. Those who feel soldering is still necessary are die hards and will always solder. 30 or 40 years ago when large crimp connectors first became available and popular in the large wire ( 3 and 4 ought) on High Voltage connectors, I was involved in testing the crimps. We would test the connectors for resistance drop at high currents, then cut and polish the crimps, looking for voids. The "properly crimped" joint was always superior to other methods, such as lugs bolted together, split bolts etc. A proper crimp of stranded wire, when cut and polished looks like one "Solid wire", that is the strands are not visible and have become one wire. Solderings major detract is the damaging of the insullation AND "cold solder joints and some corrosion possibilities. I suspect, this debate will get long and won't be resolved here either. In summary, Get yourself a GOOD Klein or other commercial brand wide anvil crimper made for insulated and non-insulated lugs and use it.

Bob U.
[quote] ---

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

This is the only place I used the Radio Shack splices. I staggered the splices and covered the whole lot with a piece of heat shrink and supported the splice near the servo. I have had no trouble in three years and 220 hours of flight time.
I would not use this type of connector for general wiring purposes in an airplane. Every where else I used AMP PIDG connectors or similar except for some Molex multi-pin connectors for the wire bundles at the wing roots and firewall. Some of the Radio Shack stuff is suitable for use, the connectors they sell for single wire connections (butt splices and ring terminals) are generally not suitable.
On Oct 13, 2007, at 1:39 AM, mosquito56 wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "mosquito56" <mosquito-56(at)hotmail.com (mosquito-56(at)hotmail.com)>
I am curious about using Radio Shack in an airplane. While I am not suggesting the quality is bad, I have to question the quality of Radio Shack in general?
  I highly recommend this page, I go alot of nice info and sites for electrical work.
http://mybearhawk.com/finish/electrical1.html, page 5 had the connectors your talking about.
Don
601xl fuse

-- 
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

[quote][b]

do not archive.
planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

The other reason that crimping has largely replaced soldered connections is that the major cause of unreliability on soldered joints is the eventual fatigue failures in the wiring due to the transition from a flexible bunch of strands into a fused rod at the boudary of the solder joint.

Dave Downey
Harleysville (SE) PA
100 HP Corvair

---

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

I'm an old time radio guy and my preference is for soldering when there is no need to take the connection apart again. I also use heat shrink and follow by either wrapping the whole bundle with tape or a bigger piece of heat shrink.

When I was our school's tech guy I used crimpers for everything.... that said, those connections were not be exposed to weather or vibrated by a bouncing airframe.

Tim

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
shilcom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

<<<major cause of unreliability on soldered joints is the eventual fatigue failures in the wiring due to the transition from a flexible bunch of strands into a fused rod at the boudary of the solder joint.>>

Absolutely,,,,I'd forgot about that. bob U.

[quote] ---

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

A connection on a wire which vibrates will be more durable if it is crimped rather than soldered. This assumes the double crimp technique as demonstrated in the Homebuilt Help video etc. You can use Dow Corning #4 electrolytic goo to air-tight the crimp without increasing the rsistance, then cover with at least one layer of heat shrink, then immobilize the wire as best you can. If it screws up after all that.....chalk it up to the will of God and buy a bicycle.

Dred

---- Tim Juhl <juhl(at)avci.net> wrote:
Quote:

I'm an old time radio guy and my preference is for soldering when there is no need to take the connection apart again. I also use heat shrink and follow by either wrapping the whole bundle with tape or a bigger piece of heat shrink.

When I was our school's tech guy I used crimpers for everything.... that said, those connections were not be exposed to weather or vibrated by a bouncing airframe.

Tim

--------
Working on wings

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=139758#139758

PatrickW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

PatrickW wrote:

Just a follow-up to what I intended versus what I actually did. Lot of differing ideas out there, but this is what worked for me.

Intent:

1. Pre-position all the heat shrink tubes before connecting wires.
2. Solder wires.
3. Heat shrink over each wire individually.
4. Heat shrink a big tube over the whole bundle of wires.

Reality:

1. Pre-position all the heat shrink tubes before connecting wires.
2. Solder wires.
3. Heat shrink over each wire individually.
4. Cut off the largest size of heat shrink tube, because it wasn't large enough to fit over the mass of individual wires PLUS each heat shrink tube. It all adds up.
5. Black tape over the whole mass of wires.
6. Test trim tab with 9 volt battery.

This method appears to be secure and solid, and I don't think that these connections are likely to be a failure point. These wires will never have to be disconnected unless I have to replace the aileron servo itself.

I also left a loop of the 5 wire bundle inside the aileron for "slack", tied such that it will not pull or put any stress on the wires.

I'll use a molex type connector on the other end of the wire bundle (at the wing root).

During inspections I'll certainly be able to see if the black tape starts to dry out or unravel, which is the only thing I can think of that could be a problem.

Learning a bit more every day. Upward and onward...

Thanks,

Patrick
XL/Corvair

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

At 11:05 AM 10/14/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
. Cut off the largest size of heat shrink tube, because it wasn't
large enough to fit over the mass of individual wires PLUS each heat
shrink tube.

This little problem can be avoided. Just cut each wire to a
different length. For example cut the second wire 1/4 inch longer
than the first and the third 1/4 inch longer than the
second. Etc. The result will be a bundle with a splice every 1/4 inch.

Have fun,

Paul
XL fuselage
recovering electrical engineer
do not archive

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

I'd like to make a few points.

first, for the harness you describes I'd install a multi conductor junction connector like a Moulinex or Cannon to make change outs easier.

Second, If you really don't think the connector is the way to go then stagger your solder joints so no joint can come in direct contact with another joint. Making the joints that way keeps down the diameter of the final complete splice and protects form the possibility of a short circuit.

Save the electric tape for ground applications. Use only heat shrink on aircraft wiring.

Noel

ashontz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

I agree, solder is the way to go. Crimps suck. I've had crimps fall part 2 seconds after I thought it was tight. Good way to do an inline connect is to get a small piece of wood, staple both wires to the wood facing each other (careful not to staple through the wire) then line them up and solder them together. Then remove the holder wood of course. Also, tinning the wires beforehand helps a lot. Don't forget to put the shrink tube on first so you can slide it down over the connection.

Large wires (cable) a propane torch works well.

Another advantage of solder is you're increasing the surface area where the connection occurs (it's not just on the outside of the outside wires in say a terminal, the solder seeps in everywhere), plus, the connection is essentially sealed at the connection point and holds better. I've had cables and wires on my boat that have seen saltwater continuously that have never had a problem conducting electricity.

I'm also a fan of solid wire, although people will say it is more likely to break, I'm yet to see that either.

do not archive

dougsnash(at)yahoo.com wrote:
Guys, all this talk of crimp connectors is making me a
little nervious. The best way to joun two wires
together is to solder them. Next step is to rinse the
flux off with water or rubbing alcohol. Then to
finish them up, apply heat shrink (preferably the
internally glued type). This is what the professional
avionics shops are supposed to do.

Yes, it might be overkill in some instances but it
will always work. No guessing if the crimp is going
to fail.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

--- Paul Mulwitz <psm> wrote:

Quote:

<psm>

>Same here. I have been using d-sub computer style
connectors from
>Radio Shack. Get your magnifying glass out!

I wonder how well miniature connectors like the
D-sub work for 16 AWG
wires. They are usually used for 22 AWG and smaller
wires.

I have been using automotive spade connectors
crimped onto the Tefzel
aircraft wires. I like the ones that come with full
plastic covers

Paul
XL Fuselage

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

billmileski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Splicing Tiny Wires...? Reply with quote

This is a good topic on which to read the many thoughts by Bob Nuckolls (sp?). I don't always agree with him, but in this case, good quality crimp splices and a proper double-crimping tool will make a nice connection with one of the die, and grab the insulation with the other die, creating a strain relief. A good choice are "window" splices, which are transparent, allowing you to see that wire has been inserted fully.
Tons of info on this at http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/terminal.pdf

Bill Mileski
701 912S 110hrs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: