Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB_Summit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

(This is a cross posting from homebuiltairplanes.com, but I thought I would post it here as well to get input from you guys.)

I've got an idea for a new engine redrive combination that as far as I know, no one has tried before. This is all hypothetical for the time being as I don't even have a plane to put it on, but I'm thinking of building a Zenith STOL CH-701 and I think this would be a good engine for that plane. I am not an engineer, or even a pilot yet, but I do enjoy building, fabricating, working with metal, etc.

My idea is to take a Yamaha four stroke, four cylinder snowmobile engine and adapt a Rotax gearbox redrive to it. This would be for my own personal use only and not for any commercial purpose. The engine is just under 1000cc's and produces 140HP in the carbureted version and 150HP in the EFI version, but I would derate it for aircraft use. The weight of the engine is 118 lbs. This engine is based on the R1 motorcycle engine, but doesn't have a gearbox like the motorcycle engine does. This engine has proven durable in snowmobiles that have been turbocharged and are making 300HP+.

My method of adapting the redrive to the engine would be to machine an adapter ring and coupling. There is a ring of 6 bolts around the output shaft of the engine, I could make a plate that attaches to the engine using these 6 bolts and then drill and tap the plate to accept the Rotax gearbox bolt pattern and bolt the gearbox to the plate. Then I would need to do some machining to get the shafts couple properly.

As I said in the title, my questions are would this be feasible, and would this be safe? My first thought is that if this was easy to do, somebody would have already done it, and since I haven't seen this combination before it makes me wonder if there is some problem I haven't thought of.

To me the main concerns are whether the joint between the engine and gearbox would be substantial enough to handle the load put on it by the thrust of the propeller, and whether there would be any torsional vibration concerns that would damage the engine or the gearbox. There is a rubber cushion built into the Rotax C gearbox that would help absorb some of the vibration, and there is also a clutch that can be installed into it to uncouple the gearbox from the engine at low RPM's. I could also install some external bracing between the engine and gearbox to take some of the thrust loads. Another concern is designing an engine mount that is safe and will take all the loads put on it.

If I were to go ahead with this, how could I ensure that my installation is safe? Should it be inspected by a mechanical engineer? I imagine having it looked at by an EAA tech counsellor would be a good idea as well.

Are there any risks that I haven't though of that I should be aware of? I'd like to hear your thoughts as to whether this is doable and safe. Would I be better off going with a more proven conversion like the Suzuki/Geo or go with the 912?

Thanks
Randy

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
John Bolding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

The can of worms you've just opened is the size of a 55 gal. barrel, good
luck !!
John

Quote:

Hi everyone,

(This is a cross posting from homebuiltairplanes.com, but I thought I
would post it here as well to get input from you guys.)

I've got an idea for a new engine redrive combination that as far as I
know, no one has tried before. This is all hypothetical for the time being
as I don't even have a plane to put it on, but I'm thinking of building a
Zenith STOL CH-701 and I think this would be a good engine for that plane.
I am not an engineer, or even a pilot yet, but I do enjoy building,
fabricating, working with metal, etc.

My idea is to take a Yamaha four stroke, four cylinder snowmobile engine
and adapt a Rotax gearbox redrive to it. This would be for my own personal
use only and not for any commercial purpose. The engine is just under
1000cc's and produces 140HP in the carbureted version and 150HP in the EFI
version, but I would derate it for aircraft use. The weight of the engine
is 118 lbs. This engine is based on the R1 motorcycle engine, but doesn't
have a gearbox like the motorcycle engine does. This engine has proven
durable in snowmobiles that have been turbocharged and are making 300HP+.
> Thanks
Randy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bill_dom(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Is it safe?

Short answer; No unless you are flying over the Bonneville salt flats.

Long answer; There are a lot of divisions between builders when it comes to the viability of auto conversions to power homebuild aircraft. But that is for auto conversions that are already developed, where you buy either the converted engine or the manual and parts to do the conversion yourself. However, what you're proposing is to develop your own conversion. In this case there is no much division and almost everyone would agree that it is not a good idea to engage in one, unless you have the proper qualification and be willing to throw enough money in R&D. IMHO, if you just want an inexpensive engine to power your plane, go with an establish and proven conversion.
William Dominguez
Zodiac 601XL Plans
Miami Florida
AB_Summit <rengler(at)live.ca> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: "AB_Summit"

Hi everyone,

(This is a cross posting from homebuiltairplanes.com, but I thought I would post it here as well to get input from you guys.)

I've got an idea for a new engine redrive combination that as far as I know, no one has tried before. This is all hypothetical for the time being as I don't even have a plane to put it on, but I'm thinking of building a Zenith STOL CH-701 and I think this would be a good engine for that plane. I am not an engineer, or even a pilot yet, but I do enjoy building, fabricating, working with metal, etc.

My idea is to take a Yamaha four stroke, four cylinder snowmobile engine and adapt a Rotax gearbox redrive to it. This would be for my own personal use only and not for any commercial purpose. The engine is just under 1000cc's and produces 140HP in the carbureted version and 150HP in the EFI version, but I would derate it for aircraft use. The weight of the engine is 118 lbs. This engine is based on the R1 motorcycle engine, but doesn't have a gearbox like the motorcycle engine does. This engine has proven durable in snowmobiles that have been turbocharged and are making 300HP+.

My method of adapting the redrive to the engine would be to machine an adapter ring and coupling. There is a ring of 6 bolts around the output shaft of the engine, I could make a plate that attaches to the engine using these 6 bolts and then drill and tap the plate to accept the Rotax gearbox bolt pattern and bolt the gearbox to the plate. Then I would need to do some machining to get the shafts couple properly.

As I said in the title, my questions are would this be feasible, and would this be safe? My first thought is that if this was easy to do, somebody would have already done it, and since I haven't seen this combination before it makes me wonder if there is some problem I haven't thought of.

To me the main concerns are whether the joint between the engine and gearbox would be substantial enough to handle the load put on it by the thrust of the propeller, and whether there would be any torsional vibration concerns that would damage the engine or the gearbox. There is a rubber cushion built into the Rotax C gearbox that would help absorb some of the vibration, and there is also a clutch that can be installed into it to uncouple the gearbox from the engine at low RPM's. I could also install some external bracing between the engine and gearbox to take some of the thrust loads. Another concern is designing an engine mount that is safe and will take all the loads put on it.

If I were to go ahead with this, how could I ensure that my installation is safe? Should it be inspected by a mechanical engineer? I imagine having it looked at by an EAA tech counsellor would be a good idea as well.

Are there any risks that I haven't though of [quote][b]

purplemoon99(at)bellsouth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

55 gallons is not even close, it will turn to your WORST NITEMARE! no
mention if it doesn't kill you it will try too, every time it gets a chance
Belive me, I know. The money?? you better havea bag full , and If you ever
get it work ,you will be so crazy that you can't pass a mental test so you
won't be allowed to fly your death trap. Buy a engine that is proven and go
on with your life....Happy New Year . Joe N101HD 601XL/RAM P.S. TheH D
in N101HD stands for Harley Davison.......
---

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

I like the idea. Any favorite links to the engine in question?
And for all of the naysayers, it is called experimental for a reason!

Spectacular success is often measured by accumulated failure that you are lucky   enough to live through.

Longtime anything that runs on gasoline builder.

top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
[quote][b]

AB_Summit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Joemotis(at)aol.com wrote:
I like the idea. Any favorite links to the engine in question?

There's not much to be found on the Internet about this engine, it's called the Genesis 150FI, here's one link: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/sno/tech_eng.aspx

Some of the other engines on that page might be adaptable for aircraft use as well.

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Here is another link where they have converted many types of engines, you could possibly use their gearbox http://www.airtrike s.net/engines. shtml

Bob Spudis

In a message dated 12/27/2007 11:11:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rengler(at)live.ca writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "AB_Summit" <rengler(at)live.ca>
Joemotis(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I like the   idea. Any favorite links to the engine in question?

There's not much to be found on the Internet about this engine, it's called the Genesis 150FI, here's one link: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/sno/tech_eng.aspx

Some of the other engines on that page might be adaptable for aircraft use as well.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=154660#154660

[quote][b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Safe is a pretty relative term, I like your idea, but I don't know that I'd fly in it...right away at least.
Try these guys, it a forum for converting motorcycle engines, its the closest info that I have. The air-trike guys mentioned are also at this forum.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moto-air/

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
cgbrt(at)mondenet.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Hi Randy.
Two 701 builders here in Ottawa Cda are using the 4 cyl 4 cycle Yamaha
engine. One is out of a jet ski the other from a snowmobile. Someone in
Montreal built redrives for them. One a/c is due for completion in 2008 and
the engine has started ground testing.
The idea of using the Rotax gearbox is good in terms of reducing the risk of
using a combination of non aviation engine and newly designed redrive. In
terms of gear ratio, I believe they plan to run the Yamahas at about the
same RPM as the Rotax 912 (5800 to 6000). One limitation on the basic 701
design to consider is 200 lbs and 100 HP max for the engine. As far as
thrust loads on the engine and the mount I would also recommend including
gyroscopic loads generated by the engine, redrive and prop.
My brother, a snowmobile enthusiast, told me these engines have a good
reputation and Yamaha has released a three cylinder version that may even be
lighter and could also be a good match for the 701.
Carl/701/912

---

special4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

I like your idea of the fuel injected yamaha....but as with all conversions it might be a lot of work/time. As for the reduction drive... I would not go with a Rotax as I think the power output of the yamaha is to high. As the prices for the Rotax/Jabiru/Continental and Lycomings are "sky high" (and climbing), I am planning to use a conversion engine...

Peter
601XL
do not archive

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Every "firster" who ever tried a new non-aircraft component asked the same question--"is it feasible, is it safe?" If not for the "firsters", we'd still be using nothing but Lyconentals, and wishing somebody would come up with something different, and cheaper. It's both feasible and safe , when you figure out how to make it so. That's what experimental arcraft is all about. Take a good look at the engine. Find somebody who can show you the guts of the redrive. Figure out what it will take to join the two units. Figure out how strong it will have to be. You'll probably have to build one to determine if there are any harmonic issues you need to deal with. And on, and on. Then you'll need to figure out exactly where, in relation to the fire wall, it needs to be, for weight and balance purposes. Then, figure out what kind, and size, of prop it works best with. And, after having figured out a thousand ways it didn't work, you'll either give up, or have developed one sweet FWF that people will salivate over, and pound down your door to get either the plans, the parts, or the whole thing from you. Do it or not? Your decision. That's experimental aviation. On a smaller scale, we all do a little something outside of the box, be it different bracing, different turnbuckles, different fuel tanks, etc. Personally, I'd go for it, and see what happens. At worst, you'll make junk out of an engine and redrive, and waste some money at the machine shop.

Paul Rodriguez
[quote] ---

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

nov%202007%20003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.3 KB
 Viewed:  590 Time(s)

nov%202007%20003.jpg

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Excuse me list?!?!

Joe Motis

Do not archive

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
[quote][b]

lrm(at)skyhawg.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Well said. If is wasn't for people like "some of us" we would be rolling rocks and picking our rears. Just test, test and test again and when you think you got it right, test it again. On the ground, that is. LRM, www.skyhawg.com
[quote] ---

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Let's look at two statements the original poster made.

1."I am not an engineer, or even a pilot yet, but I do enjoy building, fabricating, working with metal, etc. "

2."Would I be better off going with a more proven conversion like the Suzuki/Geo or go with the 912?"

Statement 1 pretty much stands on it's own. There is no mention that he has ANY experience with aircraft mechanics. He's not even a pilot.

Statement 2 seems to show that he is just trying to come up with an aircraft he can fly. I will be anyone here $100 that should the original poster ever try to build a 701 or any plane with the engine he described it will never get off the ground.

I'm hardly against conversion engines. But those that go about designing such conversions need to either have at least some experience with aircraft power plants or a real strong background in engineering.

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/29/2007 10:06:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, wr.giacona(at)suddenlink.net writes:
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com
But those that go about designing such conversions need to either have at least some experience with aircraft power plants or a real strong background in engineering.

I disagree, trial and error teaches   many things. And it would be great to see this 150 HP in an aircraft. Quite a lot is already known about conversions and heck, a redrive is the same thing in principle as the jackshaft I installed on a Bonaza mini bike toaccomadate the   Hodaka Ace 90 that was replacing the Mac 9.
This Yamaha 4 stroke seems to me a good place to start if one was so inclined.

Many a failed attempt at something quite often turns   out be quite an educational experience.

Joe Motis
Do not archive

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/jdmotis/Genesis150_tcm26-67175.jpg

[quote][b]

AB_Summit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Gig Giacona wrote:
Let's look at two statements the original poster made.

1."I am not an engineer, or even a pilot yet, but I do enjoy building, fabricating, working with metal, etc. "

2."Would I be better off going with a more proven conversion like the Suzuki/Geo or go with the 912?"

Statement 1 pretty much stands on it's own. There is no mention that he has ANY experience with aircraft mechanics. He's not even a pilot.

Statement 2 seems to show that he is just trying to come up with an aircraft he can fly. I will be anyone here $100 that should the original poster ever try to build a 701 or any plane with the engine he described it will never get off the ground.

I'm hardly against conversion engines. But those that go about designing such conversions need to either have at least some experience with aircraft power plants or a real strong background in engineering.

You're right, I don't have any experience with aircraft mechanics and I am not a pilot, and my goal is to get an aircraft I can fly.

I also agree that on my own I would not be capable of building a flying aircraft, however with the help of people who DO have experience with aircraft mechanics and engineering and by joining the EAA and RAA and leaning on the experience of members in those organizations I think it is possible.

I also agree that the combination of a new pilot, new airframe and an unproven engine/redrive combination probably isn't wise, and that's something I'll need to consider as well, for now I'm just asking questions and learning.

I do know from the number of emails that I have received off list that there is considerable interest in using these engines in aircraft. So far I know of four projects that are in progress using this engine or the smaller 3 cylinder version, and one of them is currently using the 912 and intends to change to a Yamaha snowmobile engine. So the idea doesn't seem to be a bad one.

As I said, with my level of experience, this may not be a smart way for me to go, but I think this engine has great potential and it seems that there are others who agree with me.

ter_turn(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

The golden years of experimental aviation reached it's peak (probably in the sixties and seventies) and went into a steep decline, which is now reflected in the false illusion that safety is achievable only by using factory built parts.I wasn't a builder then, but you can imagine a lone figure toiling in his garage on a project, with no Internet, no builder forums, few good reference books, but a lot of ingenuity and common sense. Those days are long gone. Many pilots will just shell out the ninety grand for a factory built sport plane and leave the building to the few true experimenters who love to create. There's nothing wrong with that approach but don't try to stifle the enthusiasm of the guy who wants to try to build his own dream with limited resources but a lot of heart.

When many in my fathers generation dreamed of home ownership they bought a piece of land, and took shovel to dirt and started building. Now we're told you have to have an Architecual drawing, soil analysis by a professional and a certified landscape company to plant your grass, and whatever you do, don't try to do your own interior decorating, the paint fumes may explode!

This afternoon we should all tip our glass to the guys that went before and flew that creation with the model "A" engine sputtering while spinning that homemade wood prop!

Terry Turnquist
601 XL Plans
St. Peters, MO

Joemotis(at)aol.com wrote:[quote] In a message dated 12/29/2007 10:06:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, wr.giacona(at)suddenlink.net writes:
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com
But those that go about designing such conversions need to either have at least some experience with aircraft power plants or a real strong background in engineering.

I disagree, trial and error teaches many things. And it would be great to see this 150 HP in an aircraft. Quite a lot is already known about conversions and heck, a redrive is the same thing in principle as the jackshaft I installed on a Bonaza mini bike toaccomadate the Hodaka Ace 90 that was replacing the Mac 9.
This Yamaha 4 stroke seems to me a good place to start if one was so inclined.

Many a failed attempt at something quite often turns out be quite an educational experience.

Joe Motis
Do not archive

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/jdmotis/Genesis150_tcm26-67175.jpg

top rated recipes and

Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Any links to the people experimenting with these engines?

Joe Motis

Do not archive

[quote][b]

rblassett(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Trying an unproven engine - is it feasible, is it safe? Reply with quote

Very well said Terry. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt but it is very admirable to "experiment" in my humble opinion.

Russ
[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: