Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have settled on a date for the "2nd Annual Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around". Mark your calenders for July 11, 12, and 13.

This is just a gathering of Kolbs and other fans of light planes. We fly, eat, and visit. We had a great time last year even with marginal weather.
Ronnie Morgan will probably cook another wild pig Saturday night.

Nauga Field (LS35) is located about 15 nm NW of Baton Rouge, LA.
The runway is 1550 feet tree line to tree line. Trees are 60 - 80 foot tall at both ends.
Don't want to insult anyone, but . . . .
This field will be a challenge if you are used to landing on 2500 to 5000 foot runways all the time. It can be visually intimidating if you aren't used to it and up on your short field techniques. Start practicing if you are rusty on your short field techniques. We don't fly with passengers in the summer. Short-soft field and high density altitude (damn hot and humid) doesn't leave a lot of safety margin for two person operation.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/LS35

Folks planning on attending so far:
John Williamson
John Hauck
Gary Haley
Steven Green ?
David Key ?

On Saturday, we cross the Mississippi River and eat catfish dinners at False River Airpark (HZR) hosted by EAA Chapter 244. Saturday evening we will probably have a short landing contest. John "lock em up" Hauck won last year.

Most of the folks camp or bunk in a few places. This is a small community, if you plan on hotel/motel make reservations early.

My wife and friends do all the cooking. She loves me and enjoys trying to be a good host. As we get closer, let me know if you plan on attending so we can get the groceries right.

Mark you calendars and come enjoy Starhill hospitality. We pass a good time.

Thanks too much,

John Bickham
Mark IIIC w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Nauga Field NW end.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.36 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

Nauga Field NW end.JPG

Nauga Field SE End.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.6 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

Nauga Field SE End.JPG

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Why host a fly in at a strip that is so short and dangerous, a place where many people cant land ? Half the fun at a fly in is being able to bring wives, taking people for rides etc, so why hold it at a strip where you cant take a passenger for a ride?

It makes zero sense to try to have an event at such a sub standard field that it keeps many away. There are airfields that are safer, where people would enjoy flying during the event, rather than just barely getting in and dreading the takeoff to leave. Even if I were off that week, I would not even consider attending an event at such a substandard and intimidating strip.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Looks good to me. The only intimidating factor is the curvature of
the earth for me to traverse getting there.
BB, MkIII, wimpy Geo, skinny girlfriend Smile
do not archive

On 18, Jan 2008, at 12:41 PM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:

Why host a fly in at a strip that is so short and dangerous, a
place where many people cant land ? Half the fun at a fly in is
being able to bring wives, taking people for rides etc, so why hold
it at a strip where you cant take a passenger for a ride?

It makes zero sense to try to have an event at such a sub standard
field that it keeps many away. There are airfields that are
safer, where people would enjoy flying during the event, rather
than just barely getting in and dreading the takeoff to leave.
Even if I were off that week, I would not even consider attending
an event at such a substandard and intimidating strip.

Mike

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast
as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=159044#159044

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

> Why host a fly in at a strip that is so short and dangerous, a place
where many people cant land ?
Quote:

It makes zero sense to try to have an event at such a sub standard field
that it keeps many away.
Even if I were off that week, I would not even consider attending an event

at such a substandard and intimidating strip.
Quote:

Mike

Mike B:

Nauga Field keeps out the riff raff, and those that can not Kolbs.

Some of us had a ball last year at the first annual Nauga Field flyin at
Star Hill, LA.

I made the first landing at takeoff at Nauga Field the first of December
2005, on the way to the Last Flight of the Year down the coast of Texas and
up the Rio Grande.

Mike B, you might be able to land and take off there if you worked on it a
little. Wink

john h
mkIII - Holder of the first Nauga Award for winning the Nauga Field Short
Landing Contest 2007.

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

> Nauga Field keeps out the riff raff, and those that can not Kolbs.

Shoulda read: "and those that can not fly their Kolbs."

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Mike B.

Thanks so much for your response. It really said a LOT!

I really appreciate your response for at least three reasons.

First, based on your respose I was successful at getting my point across that Nauga Field requires some level of proficiency in flying Kolbs and short field landings.

Second reason is that you recognize that Nauga Field is beyond your skill level at this time.

Third reason is I am glad that you have no intention of attending. You would really challenge Starhill hospitality.
Just a piece of advice, well intentioned.......

If you fly enough hours, eventually you will make a mistake, the weather will screw you, or your equipment will let you down. This field should be within your capabilities for your safety and the safety of any passenger you carry.

Have a great day!

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

John B, You'ze guys, Since the Nauga Field listed in Airnav (LS35) says the field is 1550' X 75' and the threshold is displaced 450' at each end, I'm trying to picture what the difficulty is. Is the displacement for landing only? If it is that leaves 1100' to land and roll out and the whole 1550' available for take off and obstacle (60' trees) clearance. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or start a snit fit, but from the description it sounds well within the capabilities of my ability and I think of myself as a pretty conservative pilot. What am I missing?

Rick Girard

On Jan 18, 2008 5:01 PM, John Bickham <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Bickham" <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)>

Mike B.

Thanks so much for your response. It really said a LOT!

I really appreciate your response for at least three reasons.

First, based on your respose I was successful at getting my point across that Nauga Field requires some level of proficiency in flying Kolbs and short field landings.

Second reason is that you recognize that Nauga Field is beyond your skill level at this time.

Third reason is I am glad that you have no intention of attending. You would really challenge Starhill hospitality.
Just a piece of advice, well intentioned.......

If you fly enough hours, eventually you will make a mistake, the weather will screw you, or your equipment will let you down. This field should be within your capabilities for your safety and the safety of any passenger you carry.

Have a great day!

--------
Thanks too much,

John Bickham
Mark III-C
&quot;Using my Repairman Certificate&quot;
St. Francisville, LA

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here: [quote][b]

George Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Mike:
I drove to John's place last year as a side leg of another trip. You can't imagine how grateful I am that you enlightened me to the fact that I squandered away 400 extra miles, 8 extra hours driving time, about 25 gallons of extra gas and an extra overnight away. Da#(at)$!!! I must be dumber than a bucket of dirt!
On the other hand, what that yielded was most gracious hospitality, delicious food, usual good times with Kolb interested folk and above all, courteous, polite, and delightful people. Probably a good thing you wouldn't go. From the overall tone of your message, not likely to be your kind of people.

JetPilot wrote:

<<<SNIP>>>It makes zero sense to try to have an event at such a sub standard field that it keeps many away. <<<SNIP>>>
Mike

http://www.oh2fly.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Rick G,

Don't think your missing anything. FS's will eat this field up. It's really a matter of what you are used to and what your skill level is.

Beautiful paint jobs and planes loaded with avionics (ie heavy) have a tougher time.

I have to admit that the first time I approached Nauga Field from the air, it scared me. I went back to the 2500 foot strip I was at and started practicing. I marked thresholds and tree lines out with flagging tape. It actually was no problem at all. It just was a very different visual picture when you are used to flying out of 2500 and longer runways.

I know I'm in the slot when I cross the tree line. That is when I make my go around decision. Not a lot time in the flare to think about it.

I got better as a pilot flying into this field. It challenges me. I hadn't really challenged my flying skills that much prior to that. I pretty much suck at landing on paved 5000 foot runways now. It is mostly cause I relax too much and get sloppy.

Right now, I'm expanding my crosswind tolerance. Been making some interesting landings at HZR in some stiff crosswinds. I have a lot more to learn about flying my Kolb better. My tires have been screetching more than usual.

I look forward to getting together with these Kolb guys because I learn so much. John W said something to me about landing on our last trip that made a light go off.

As far as two people go, it has a lot more to do with field condition and density altitude. We'll be 90 plus degrees and 90 plus humidity in July. Wings and props don't work that well in those conditions. Throw in a little afternoon shower to soften the field and slow your roll down and it would make it a challenge with two people. I have taken off and landed with two people in the fall and winter. Won't do it May to October.

Many times my landing roll can be stopped at center of the the runway (775 ft) with no brakes. Watch out John H!

I haven't typed this much on the list in years! Sorry

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

> Many times my landing roll can be stopped at center of the the runway
(775 ft) with no brakes. Watch out John H!
>
Quote:
John Bickham

John B:

Looks like you musta been landing with a tailwind. Try it the other way
round and you may be able to land a little shorter. Wink

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

John, Thanks for the info, sounds like fun. And Spencer, wherever you are, thank you for all the good training and not griping at me too much when I practiced slips all the way to the deck.

Rick

On Jan 18, 2008 8:43 PM, John Bickham <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Bickham" <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)>

Rick G,

Don't think your missing anything. FS's will eat this field up. It's really a matter of what you are used to and what your skill level is.

Beautiful paint jobs and planes loaded with avionics (ie heavy) have a tougher time.

I have to admit that the first time I approached Nauga Field from the air, it scared me. I went back to the 2500 foot strip I was at and started practicing. I marked thresholds and tree lines out with flagging tape. It actually was no problem at all. It just was a very different visual picture when you are used to flying out of 2500 and longer runways.

I know I'm in the slot when I cross the tree line. That is when I make my go around decision. Not a lot time in the flare to think about it.

I got better as a pilot flying into this field. It challenges me. I hadn't really challenged my flying skills that much prior to that. I pretty much suck at landing on paved 5000 foot runways now. It is mostly cause I relax too much and get sloppy.

Right now, I'm expanding my crosswind tolerance. Been making some interesting landings at HZR in some stiff crosswinds. I have a lot more to learn about flying my Kolb better. My tires have been screetching more than usual.

I look forward to getting together with these Kolb guys because I learn so much. John W said something to me about landing on our last trip that made a light go off.

As far as two people go, it has a lot more to do with field condition and density altitude. We'll be 90 plus degrees and 90 plus humidity in July. Wings and props don't work that well in those conditions. Throw in a little afternoon shower to soften the field and slow your roll down and it would make it a challenge with two people. I have taken off and landed with two people in the fall and winter. Won't do it May to October.

Many times my landing roll can be stopped at center of the the runway (775 ft) with no brakes. Watch out John H!

I haven't typed this much on the list in years! Sorry

--------
Thanks too much,

John Bickham
Mark III-C
&quot;Using my Repairman Certificate&quot;
St. Francisville, LA

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

[quote][b]

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

I wish I was closer I would ask you if it would be OK to land across the runway instead of the long way in

Ellery in Maine

do not archive

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Ellery, You didn't shorten your name from Weldski, did you? Smile

Rick

On Jan 19, 2008 9:14 PM, <ElleryWeld(at)aol.com (ElleryWeld(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] I wish I was closer I would ask you if it would be OK to land across the runway instead of the long way in

Ellery in Maine

do not archive

Quote:

[b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Hi John,

I wasn't trying to trash your fly in, the runway just looks really intimidating... More difficult than I would try to operate out of at this point. I have managed to get over 100 hours in my Kolb without bending anything, mostly by expanding my limitations slowly Smile

Its cool you are going to the trouble to host something like this, I just took a look at some pictures and though " Oh my Gawd " , and wrote a post...

Anyways look at the bright side, my post caused more discussion and advertisement than you would have gotten all year Wink

The best luck to you and your fly in.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Steven Green

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

Mike,

Maybe your signature should read "If you have no fear you did not land at
Nauga Field" :<)

Do not archive

---

beauford173(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

...it's likely tough enough landing longways, Brother Weld... what with the trees and all...

and nobody's talkin' about all the nauga holes and burrows... must be tons of
the varmits there if they had to name the airfield after 'em... I heard those things dig
like hell...worse than 'dillos... tough to trap, too... it's a wonder the lazy boy
chair folks get enough of 'em...

beauford
Do Not Archive... Please.

p.s. ...a few of us Kolbers, including Brother Alexander, are off to the Rainbow Aviation
16 hour LSA maint course at Sebring 21 and 22 Jan... will give a report afterwards
if we don't get throwed out of 'er....
b.
[quote] ---

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Starhill-Nauga Field Fly Around - July 11th, 12th, 13th Reply with quote

nope I sure didnt my Last name almost takes up a whole line though

Ellery Batchelder in Maine

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: