Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougsnash(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines Reply with quote

I am currently sorting out my firewall forward
installation. Here in Canada, we are required to
fireproof all of our Fuel and oil lines on
experimental installations.

What flavour of hoses are commonly being used for
these fuel and oil line on the Zenith products? I
have been looking at the Aeroquip hoses listed on
Aircraft Spruce but don't want to spend $50-$100 on
hoses and not get the right ones.

Any Guidance?

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
Rotax 912UL
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive
Looking for last minute shopping deals?

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

My kit and FWF came with "Garden variety" rubber hose. No, not
garden hose, but normal automotive fuel hose. It has a 5/8 inch
outside diameter and 1/4 inch I.D.

It is all covered with "fire sleeve" in the area forward of the
firewall. You can order that stuff from A/S.

Good luck,

Paul
XL fuselage

At 11:54 AM 2/29/2008, you wrote:

Quote:
What flavour of hoses are commonly being used for
these fuel and oil line on the Zenith products? I
have been looking at the Aeroquip hoses listed on
Aircraft Spruce but don't want to spend $50-$100 on
hoses and not get the right ones.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ricklach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

I thought you would get more feed-back on your request. When I got my 701/912S it had standard auto fuel lines with screw clamps and fire sleeve. It looked nice but I was not comfortable with it. The Oil lines were what the factory supplied with the kit. The oil lines looked and I’m sure were very acceptable as compared to the fuel line. At annual this year it was time to replace all the hoses, fuel, oil and water. I spent a little time searching for a solution that met what I thought was aircraft quality but did not want to spend the money (and I thought was an overkill) for a complete certified aircraft system. So here is what I’ve decided to do.

Fuel: I went with MIL-DTL-6000(old MIL-H-6000B) from Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co. (www-gen-aircraft-hardware.com/888-247-2738). It’s a push-on/screw clamp system that dose not require any special or expensive hose ends. It’s has a working pressure of 500PSI and a burst pressure of 1000PSI, it is also compatible with oil, coolant, alcohol, fuel and water. I think it’s much better than the original NAPA fuel hose. I then added fire sleeve and I don’t worry about a cracked line leaking fuel anymore.

Oil: I went with the” Parker HI-Temp Push-Lok #836-8” P.N 181411 oil line from California Power systems (www.800-airwolf.com/800-247-9653). It’s not an aircraft part per-say but after reading through the parker (www.parker.com) web site I was comfortable that it was a good industrial hose that would do the job. Again it’s a push-on/screw clamp system just like the factory system requiring no new expensive fittings.

Water: I went with Flexfab (www.flexfab.com) Silicone Hose P.N. 5526-100 for the Radiator hoses and 5526-075 for the cyl-head to tank/water pump hoses on the engine. It has a burst pressure of 175 to 200PSI. I got the 55-26-100 from Zenith and the other from a local supplies in Bakersfield.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Rick

maarten versteeg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines Reply with quote

Hello Rick,

I must admit that I am still very green with respect to
oil, fuel and coolant hoses, but I will get to the point
where I will have to make decisions concerning hoses.
You suggest the MIL-DTL-6000 to be used for the fuel
system. When I look in the ACS catalog this hose is
listed as "MIL6000 OIL AND COOLANT HOSE", "designed to
handle the effects of oil, alcohol, coolant, and water",
but it also lists "Not recommended for fuel lines".
Is the ACS catalog overly cautious here or do you have
another information source?

Regards,
Maarten
601xl plansbuilding wings

Quote:
Time: 09:21:24 AM PST US
Subject: Re: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines

Hi Doug,

Quote:

Fuel: I went with MIL-DTL-6000(old MIL-H-6000B) from Genuine Aircraft Hardware
Co. (www-gen-aircraft-hardware.com/888-247-2738). Its a push-on/screw clamp system
that dose not require any special or expensive hose ends. Its has a working
pressure of 500PSI and a burst pressure of 1000PSI, it is also compatible with
oil, coolant, alcohol, fuel and water. I think its much better than the original
NAPA fuel hose. I then added fire sleeve and I dont worry about a cracked
line leaking fuel anymore.

ricklach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall Forward fuel and oil lines Reply with quote

Hi Maarten,
I have read that in the ACS catalog also. I also read in the “Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co.” catalog that it was compatible with fuel, so I started calling around. They were quite confident that the new “6000” series hose was compatible with fuel and sell it for that application all the time. It was the old “6000” hose that had an issue. I’m not sure what the issue was or is but the new “6000” is suppose to be Fuel compatible.

Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: