Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

labeling parts for painting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K Dilks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Hi all , after one week now I need to start putting some primer paint on the rudder and stab parts for final riveting.
My question is how do you keep track of the parts to make sure they go back in the right place?? I was thinking of tying small labels to each part but how do you do this?
Thanks for any ideas.
kev

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

graeme(at)coletoolcentre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

KEV

JUST GROUP THE PARTS as you dissasemble. then debur and prime.
THEY WILL USUALLY ONLY GO BACK TOGETHER ONE WAY
HOLES ONLY LINE UP ONE WAY
BUT IT SAVES TIME IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA WHERE THEY GO

Graemecns

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

You can use felt tipped "Permanent Markers" such as Sharpies to make
any marks you want on aluminum. The marks are easily removed with
lacquer thinner.

Paul
XL getting close

At 10:06 PM 12/1/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Hi all , after one week now I need to start putting some primer
paint on the rudder and stab parts for final riveting.
My question is how do you keep track of the parts to make sure
they go back in the right place?? I was thinking of tying small
labels to each part but how do you do this?
Thanks for any ideas.
kev

--------
Austria .............

planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Paul you must be using epoxy primer. The Sharpie ink will wash right off along with the rattle can primer! Here at Boeing we use the Sharpie to mark becasue even if washed with acetone, it always leaves a faint mark that can usually be read later...

David L. Downey
Harleysville (SE) PA, USA

--- On Tue, 12/2/08, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
[quote]From: Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net>
Subject: Re: labeling parts for painting
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 4:13 AM

[quote]--> Zenith601-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net>

Hi Kev,

You can use felt tipped "Permanent Markers" such as [quote][b]

sky_ranger161

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Hey Kev,

I made some little tags and wired them with very fine wire through an end rivet hole. With these I could hold them up to paint, and hang them when I'm finished.

Another way would be to write names on the table (or whatever you're painting on). Then just set each piece after painting in it's labeled spot.

Hope this helps.

Debo Cox
Nags Head, NC
Scratchbuilt XL/Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/debo

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Hi David,

Actually, you nailed me good. I do indeed use epoxy primer.

However, I suggested using Sharpies for marking aluminum. I am not
using primer on internal joints, and I can't imagine using them on
painted surfaces.

Best regards,

Paul
XL getting close
do not archive

At 03:50 AM 12/2/2008, you wrote:

Quote:
Paul you must be using epoxy primer. The Sharpie ink will wash right
off along with the rattle can primer! Here at Boeing we use the
Sharpie to mark becasue even if washed with acetone, it always
leaves a faint mark that can usually be read later...

David L. Downey
Harleysville (SE) PA, USA

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Kevin,

I used a Sharpie and marked letters or numbers. I would put them on the inside, near where things need to match up, but out of the area to be primed. Many times I would mark two places to be sure of the right orientation. I still have "A", "B", "C" and "1". "2", "3" marks in various places (not visible) on the airframe. If markings would be visible when complete, I used "GooGone" or "GoofOff" to easily remove the marks. (Those type products also work great to remove the paper ZAC parts labels, including the glue residue.) If the whole part was to be painted, I did what Debo did and marked the underlying cardboard beside the part.

Jay in Dallas

--

vvkidd(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Go to a local stationary store and purchase some tags with a short string attached. Label and attach to each part. I didn't find it to be a problem, I only painted the areas where the parts came together. I painted the entire aircraft in amjor parts: fuselege, wings, cowl, etc. This seemed to work well.

Victor Kidd
N922VK
Charleston, WV, USA

--

sdthatcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

I used the Sharpie Method for marking parts but made the mistake of using it on surfaces that would later be polished. The especially embarrassing notes I had made on the fuselage skin included "This side up".

Now when people look at the polished surface they see the faint letters "This side up" and immediately start laughing!

stepinwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

Scott,

In the future you might want to use the " Dry Erasable markers " from Sharpie, that are sold for the White message boards. These can be easily erased with your finger, ( no need for any toxic liquids ) and they leave no marks on the surface after they have been removed.

Robert

n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: labeling parts for painting Reply with quote

I use a set of number/letter stamps and stamp a label on the parts with
a hammer. It is fast and legible through the paint. Take about 10 seconds
per part.
Regards,
Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: